* smaller symbol
@ 2005-12-26  5:24 Ciro Soto
From: Ciro Soto @ 2005-12-26  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Invisible Friends:

I am trying to use \ll and \gg instead of quotation marks.
The problem is that they are too big for my taste.
What would be the easiest way to make them, say 0.75\bodyfontsize ?

thank you
Ciro
PS: thank you for the help with the upside down question marks...

* Re: smaller symbol
@ 2005-12-27  8:13 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2005-12-27  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ciro Soto wrote:
> Invisible Friends:
>
> I am trying to use \ll and \gg instead of quotation marks.
> The problem is that they are too big for my taste.
> What would be the easiest way to make them, say 0.75\bodyfontsize ?

Don't you want \leftguillemot and \rightguillemot?

Anyway, there are fake ones based omn \ll and \gg, these should
be what you had in mind: \fakeleftguillemot, \fakerightguillemot

Cheers, Taco

* Re: smaller symbol
@ 2005-12-27 14:25 ` Mojca Miklavec
       [not found]   ` <297ee2eb0512271000y3934410ao9538033807cffe0@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2005-12-27 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12/26/05, Ciro Soto wrote:
> Invisible Friends:
>
>  I am trying to use \ll and \gg instead of quotation marks.
>  The problem is that they are too big for my taste.
>  What would be the easiest way to make them, say 0.75\bodyfontsize ?

I guess that \leftguillemot instead of "\ll" already solves the
problem, but if you really want to scale them, it's most elegant to do
it this way:

\installlanguage
  [es]
  [leftquotation={\scale[height=.75ex]{\leftguillemot}},
   rightquotation={\scale[height=.75ex]{\rightguillemot}}]
   % .75\bodyfontsize is way too big
   % or the ugly \fakeleftguillemot instead of \leftguillemot, as Taco proposed

\mainlanguage[es]
\starttext
\quotation{To quote or not to quote,} that's the question!
\stoptext

(Even if you don't need to scale them, this is the way how to get
guillemots instead of "double commas".)

The only problem is that they're scaled so that baseline remains where
it is: quotation marks are placed too low because of that. So you
probably want to do raise them a bit as well:
\raise.25ex\hbox{\scale[height=.5ex]{\rightguillemot}}

Mojca

* Re: smaller symbol
       [not found]   ` <297ee2eb0512271000y3934410ao9538033807cffe0@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2005-12-27 18:00     ` Ciro Soto