* latest beta hates most of my fonts
@ 2008-02-13 15:37 Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-02-13 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mailing ConTeXt users list for

the latest beta refuses to work with most of my (Greek) fonts. I have
compiled the very latest trunk (rev. 1006, I think). Difficult to make
a minimal example because it doesn't happen with simple "Latin" text,
only when there's Greek in the file. The error message is always
similar:

)</Users/tas/texmf/fonts/opentype/greek/bosporos/BosporosU.otf
!luaTeX error (file /Users/tas/texmf/fonts/opentype/greek/bosporos/
BosporosU.otf): Unexpected error: 85 != 92
  ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

Does that ring a bell, or should I see if I can find a font which
doesn't work in "normal" mode? The fonts are set up like this:

\installfontfeature[otf][grbl]

\definefontfeature
   [agreek]
    [mode=node,language=dflt,script=latn,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,
     grbl=yes,featurefile=greek-babel.fea]

   \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [name:BosporosU]
[features=agreek]

etc.

Thomas

* Re: latest beta hates most of my fonts
@ 2008-02-13 15:55 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-02-13 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> the latest beta refuses to work with most of my (Greek) fonts. I have
> compiled the very latest trunk (rev. 1006, I think). Difficult to make
> a minimal example because it doesn't happen with simple "Latin" text,
> only when there's Greek in the file. The error message is always
> similar:
>
> )</Users/tas/texmf/fonts/opentype/greek/bosporos/BosporosU.otf
> !luaTeX error (file /Users/tas/texmf/fonts/opentype/greek/bosporos/
> BosporosU.otf): Unexpected error: 85 != 92
>   ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
>
> Does that ring a bell, or should I see if I can find a font which
> doesn't work in "normal" mode? The fonts are set up like this:
>
> \installfontfeature[otf][grbl]
>
> \definefontfeature
>    [agreek]
>     [mode=node,language=dflt,script=latn,kern=yes,tlig=yes,trep=yes,
>      grbl=yes,featurefile=greek-babel.fea]
>
>    \definefontsynonym [Serif]           [name:BosporosU]
> [features=agreek]

hard to check without a small test file; latin processes ok; keep in
mind that feature files reset all other features

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-02-13 16:05   ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2008-02-13 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 13, 2008 4:55 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
> > the latest beta refuses to work with most of my (Greek) fonts.
>
> hard to check without a small test file;

Here's a "minimal example" for the start:
   texexec --xtx --make --all
but this has already been reported and I'm not sure if it's the same problem.

/context/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
! Nonletter.
l.206 4´
          ´
?

Mojca

* Re: latest beta hates most of my fonts
@ 2008-02-13 16:14     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-02-13 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 13, 2008, at 5:05 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Here's a "minimal example" for the start:
>   texexec --xtx --make --all
> but this has already been reported and I'm not sure if it's the same
> problem.
>
> /context/texmf-context/tex/context/patterns/lang-agr.pat
> ! Nonletter.
> l.206 4´
>          ´
> ?
>
> Mojca

No, that's a different problem which I created by "optimizing" the
pattern files; sorry about that!

@ 2008-02-13 16:50   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2008-02-13 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:
>> the latest beta refuses to work with most of my (Greek) fonts. I have
>> compiled the very latest trunk (rev. 1006, I think). Difficult to make
>> a minimal example because it doesn't happen with simple "Latin" text,
>> only when there's Greek in the file. The error message is always
>> similar:
>>
>> )</Users/tas/texmf/fonts/opentype/greek/bosporos/BosporosU.otf
>> !luaTeX error (file /Users/tas/texmf/fonts/opentype/greek/bosporos/
>> BosporosU.otf): Unexpected error: 85 != 92

This error says that there are more glyphs marked as
"used" (92) than there are actually written (85). I have
temporarily disabled this test in the trunk, because it
could be caused by the change in composite character
handling in context. Can you try if the pdf is valid
with that latest version?

Best wishes,
Taco

* Re: latest beta hates most of my fonts
@ 2008-02-13 17:05     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-02-13 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 13, 2008, at 5:50 PM, Taco Hoekwater wrote:

> This error says that there are more glyphs marked as
> "used" (92) than there are actually written (85). I have
> temporarily disabled this test in the trunk, because it
> could be caused by the change in composite character
> handling in context. Can you try if the pdf is valid
> with that latest version?
>
> Best wishes,
> Taco

OK, with the latest version I get a valid pdf file! Some bizarre
things (one letter is missing from the output), but at least I get
output!

THanks

Thomas