* Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28  2:00 Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2020-04-28  2:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks!

Second last part in the series. The project, product, component, and
environment relations were a bit finicky. Those willing to point out
improvements that can be made---Hans, Taco, Wolfgang, Aditya, and
others---would be very much appreciated.

Specifically, it seems that some project environment settings can be
overruled inside products, but other project settings cannot. It's not
really clear to me whether this is due to dependency order or that
definitions cannot be redefined across environments. Thoughts?

https://dave.autonoma.ca/blog/2020/04/28/typesetting-markdown-part-8/

Stay safe!

* Re: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28  6:32 ` Jan U. Hasecke
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2020-04-28  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Hi Dave,

Am 28.04.20 um 04:00 schrieb Thangalin:
> Hi folks!
>
> Second last part in the series. The project, product, component, and
> environment relations were a bit finicky. Those willing to point out
> improvements that can be made---Hans, Taco, Wolfgang, Aditya, and
> others---would be very much appreciated.
>
> Specifically, it seems that some project environment settings can be
> overruled inside products, but other project settings cannot. It's not
> really clear to me whether this is due to dependency order or that
> definitions cannot be redefined across environments. Thoughts?
>
> https://dave.autonoma.ca/blog/2020/04/28/typesetting-markdown-part-8/

thank you very much. I really appreciate your series. There is so much
in it that suits to my needs that I have to read it carefully later. But
I have some short remarks anyway.

Some topics are especially of interest to me:

1. Nameing and organizing the project, product and environments files. I
am currently reorganising the files for my cooperative. I think that
besides some nameing conventions it is more or less up to me how I
organise our print work. Any recommendations welcome.

2. The "Deutsches Text Archiv" has prepared a text corpus of German
texts up to 1900 in TEI PS XML, so we could use them directly to typeset
books. What I am looking for is a script to extract all XML tags/tokens
from their files to have a complete list of things that should be
handled in a ConTeXt style file. Five years ago I tried to create such a
style file by hand, but I gave up.

https://github.com/juh2/tei-style-dta-context

The tokens/tags differ from text to text and I think the structure too
so that it was beyond my knowledge to generate a general style file for
all texts.

3. Being a writer I think that Markdown --> ConTeXt is the best way to
achieve what I want: easy writing and professional looking books. Up to
now I used Pablos way via pandoc and XHTML described here:
http://www.from-pandoc-to-context.tk/

The problem with pandoc is that it does not generate a perfect ConTeXt
source to build the file as some things are missing.

Annotations and eg. your classify.lua might be a second approach to
achieve what I want.

So thanks a lot for your work.

@all: Feel free to comment on my three topics any hints are welcome.

Ciao!
juh

* Re: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28  7:33   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-04-28  7:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 28.04.2020 um 08:32 schrieb Jan U. Hasecke <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org>:
>
> 1. Nameing and organizing the project, product and environments files. I
> am currently reorganising the files for my cooperative. I think that
> besides some nameing conventions it is more or less up to me how I
> organise our print work. Any recommendations welcome.

Yes, the naming is completely up to you.

I use:

project_something.tex
env_something.tex
prd_oneissue.tex
c_onechapter.tex

That’s also what my script supports as default:
https://github.com/fiee/tools/blob/master/contextproject.py

Probably I should switch to .mkiv extensions, since I also have LaTeX projects now.

> 2. The "Deutsches Text Archiv" has prepared a text corpus of German
> texts up to 1900 in TEI PS XML, so we could use them directly to typeset
> books.
> The tokens/tags differ from text to text and I think the structure too
> so that it was beyond my knowledge to generate a general style file for
> all texts.

And it’s probably impossible. Like with HTML and ePub export, the mapping of structures is very individual.

Best, Hraban

* Re: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28  8:35   ` Saša Janiška
From: Saša Janiška @ 2020-04-28  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 08:32:57 +0200
"Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org> wrote:

> 3. Being a writer I think that Markdown --> ConTeXt is the best way to
> achieve what I want: easy writing and professional looking books.

I've the same opinion!

> Up to now I used Pablos way via pandoc and XHTML described here:
> http://www.from-pandoc-to-context.tk/

What do you use now?

> The problem with pandoc is that it does not generate a perfect ConTeXt
> source to build the file as some things are missing.

You mean Pablos pandoc --> from-pandoc-to-context or

direct pandoc --> ConTeXt export ?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As a lamp in a windless place does not waver, so the transcendentalist,
whose mind is controlled, remains always steady in his meditation on the

* Re: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28 13:57     ` Jan U. Hasecke
From: Jan U. Hasecke @ 2020-04-28 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Am 28.04.20 um 10:35 schrieb Saša Janiška:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 08:32:57 +0200
> "Jan U. Hasecke" <juh+ntg-context@mailbox.org> wrote:
>
>> 3. Being a writer I think that Markdown --> ConTeXt is the best way to
>> achieve what I want: easy writing and professional looking books.
>
> I've the same opinion!
>
>> Up to now I used Pablos way via pandoc and XHTML described here:
>> http://www.from-pandoc-to-context.tk/
>
> What do you use now?

Oh I still use it. But Daves posts might offer an alternative for me.

>> The problem with pandoc is that it does not generate a perfect ConTeXt
>> source to build the file as some things are missing.
>
> You mean Pablos pandoc --> from-pandoc-to-context or

Yes.

juh

* Re: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28 14:12     ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2020-04-28 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a running example ? I’m not sure how to fill in the commandline

> 28 apr. 2020 kl. 09:33 skrev Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>
> Yes, the naming is completely up to you.
>
> I use:
>
> project_something.tex
> env_something.tex
> prd_oneissue.tex
> c_onechapter.tex
>
> That’s also what my script supports as default:
> https://github.com/fiee/tools/blob/master/contextproject.py <https://github.com/fiee/tools/blob/master/contextproject.py>

* Re: contextproject script (was: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8)
@ 2020-04-28 14:39       ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-04-28 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 28.04.2020 um 16:12 schrieb Jan-Erik Hägglöf <janerik.hagglof@bahnhof.se>:
>
>> 28 apr. 2020 kl. 09:33 skrev Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>>
>> Yes, the naming is completely up to you.
>>
>> I use:
>>
>> project_something.tex
>> env_something.tex
>> prd_oneissue.tex
>> c_onechapter.tex
>>
>> That’s also what my script supports as default:
>> https://github.com/fiee/tools/blob/master/contextproject.py

> Is there a running example ? I’m not sure how to fill in the commandline

1) Have a look at https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Project_structure

2) To avoid the whole name, I set:
alias mkprj='python3 ~/workspace/tools/contextproject.py'

3)
$ mkprj --help
Usage: contextproject.py [options]
(env > prj > prd > cmp)
Provide all names without prefix and suffix!

ConTeXt project management  (c) 2009-2019 by Henning Hraban Ramm, fiëé
visuëlle

  --version             show program's version number and exit
  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -m FILETYPE, --mode=FILETYPE
                        create which type of file?
  -c NAME, --component=NAME, --cmp=NAME
                        create component file
  -p NAME, --product=NAME, --prd=NAME
                        create or set product file
  -j NAME, --project=NAME, --prj=NAME
                        create or set project file
  -e NAME, --environment=NAME, --env=NAME
                        create or set environment file
  -i FILENAME, --template=FILENAME, --ini=FILENAME
                        use non-default initial template file
  -d DIRNAME, --directory=DIRNAME, --dir=DIRNAME
                        project path
  -C DIRNAME, --component_directory=DIRNAME, --cmpdir=DIRNAME
                        path for component files below project path

4) Create files in the order environment, project, product, component(s)
i.e.
# Create empty environment (it lacks the project name; I do this manually, copying from another project):
$ mkprj -e something
# Create the project file:
$ mkprj -e something -j something
# Create a product and insert it in project:
$ mkprj -j something -p first
# Create a component dir for product "first" and add a component:
$ mkprj -j something -p first -C first -c author

If there’s a component.ini, product.ini etc. it will get used as a template for that level.

There are a few bugs in the output, e.g. in the first call you can’t set the project name, and in the second it won’t create an environment if it’s missing. If you leave out the project when you create a component, the name gets an additional prefix. -m is mostly useless, and I never use -d.
I should fix that, but these are just minor annoyances.

Have fun!

Hraban

* Re: contextproject script (was: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8)
@ 2020-04-28 15:29         ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2020-04-28 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

That was clarifying. Thanks a lot and good work done by you!

Take Care

Best wishes, Janne

> 28 apr. 2020 kl. 16:39 skrev Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>

>> Am 28.04.2020 um 16:12 schrieb Jan-Erik Hägglöf <janerik.hagglof@bahnhof.se>:
>>
>>> 28 apr. 2020 kl. 09:33 skrev Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>>>
>>> Yes, the naming is completely up to you.
>>>
>>> I use:
>>>
>>> project_something.tex
>>> env_something.tex
>>> prd_oneissue.tex

@ 2020-04-28 15:33       ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2020-04-28 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan-Erik, after you have installed all the required software (and
fonts!) and unzipped the book.zip and themes.zip archives, you can
build a book using:

cd $HOME/dev/writing/book
./build -V -c -y -i jekyll-hyde -d standard-ebooks/jekyll-hyde \
-b robert-louis-stevenson_the-strange-case-of-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde

This is noted at the bottom of the preamble section.

Enjoy!

@ 2020-04-28 15:41         ` Jan-Erik Hägglöf
From: Jan-Erik Hägglöf @ 2020-04-28 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perfect, I will get in to it.

Many thanks and Best wishes, Janne

@ 2020-04-28 16:07         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-04-28 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don’t forget, what’s already included in ConTeXt:

\usemodule[visual]
\useMPlibrary[dum]

\starttext
\simplethesis
\stoptext

@ 2020-04-28 16:47         ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-04-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Am 28.04.2020 um 16:39 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>
>>> https://github.com/fiee/tools/blob/master/contextproject.py
>
> There are a few bugs in the output, e.g. in the first call you can’t set the project name, and in the second it won’t create an environment if it’s missing. If you leave out the project when you create a component, the name gets an additional prefix.

Ok, new version: fixed the bugs, modernized the code and added a few more useless cryptic options for Thangalin.

Enjoy!
HR

* Re: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28 19:57   ` Thangalin
From: Thangalin @ 2020-04-28 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Jan,

> 1. Nameing and organizing the project, product and environments files. I
> am currently reorganising the files for my cooperative. I think that
> besides some nameing conventions it is more or less up to me how I
> organise our print work. Any recommendations welcome.

Download "themes.zip" from the blog post. It shows some naming
conventions and relationships between projects, products,
environments, and components.

> books. What I am looking for is a script to extract all XML tags/tokens
> from their files to have a complete list of things that should be
> handled in a ConTeXt style file. Five years ago I tried to create such a
> style file by hand, but I gave up.

XSL was designed specifically to parse XML. ConTeXt has facilities for
mapping XML tokens, as you've used. Depending on the complexity of
what you're trying to accomplish, take a look at "book.zip" from the
blog post. Inside you'll find "se2md.xsl"; a similar approach could
work for TEI: put the complexity of parsing TEI into XSL, then use
ConTeXt to typeset the resulting document.

* Re: Typesetting Markdown - Part 8
@ 2020-04-28 21:16           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2020-04-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry, I took your message for irony.
Should have read your blog posts to know better.

Hraban

> Am 28.04.2020 um 18:07 schrieb Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>
> Don’t forget, what’s already included in ConTeXt:
>
> \usemodule[visual]
> \useMPlibrary[dum]
>
> \starttext
> \simplethesis
> \stoptext
>

>> Am 28.04.2020 um 17:33 schrieb Thangalin <thangalin@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Jan-Erik, after you have installed all the required software (and
>> fonts!) and unzipped the book.zip and themes.zip archives, you can
>> build a book using:
>>
>> cd $HOME/dev/writing/book
>> ./build -V -c -y -i jekyll-hyde -d standard-ebooks/jekyll-hyde \
>> -b robert-louis-stevenson_the-strange-case-of-dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde
>>
>> This is noted at the bottom of the preamble section.
>>
>> Enjoy!
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 28, 2020 at 7:12 AM Jan-Erik Hägglöf
>> <janerik.hagglof@bahnhof.se> wrote:
>>>
>>> Is there a running example ? I’m not sure how to fill in the commandline
>>>

>>> 28 apr. 2020 kl. 09:33 skrev Henning Hraban Ramm <texml@fiee.net>:
>>>
>>> Yes, the naming is completely up to you.
>>>
>>> I use:
>>>
>>> project_something.tex
>>> env_something.tex
>>> prd_oneissue.tex