* Multi-letter words/identifiers in math
@ 2019-09-29  7:30 Shuxian Wang
From: Shuxian Wang @ 2019-09-29  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear list,

I am trying to typeset some multi-letter words/identifiers in
mathematical formulas. Currently, doing things like `{\it variable}` or
`{\mathit variable}` under math mode will cause the engine to shift all
characters into the corresponding unicode mathematical alphanumeric
block position. However, most OpenType fonts that have good support for
unicode math are optimized for single-character usage. Therefore, the
outcome of such method is non-ideal, as no kerning or ligatures will be
enabled. Especially, this gives bad output when typesetting variable
names with combinations like “ffi”.

Looking through some past discussions on the list, I am aware of the
usage of `\mathword` and `\mathtext`. Using those command will keep all
the characters “as is” and typeset them under text mode (as far as I
can tell). But those commands switch to the main body fonts temporarily
to accomplish this. Sometime when using a different math font than the
main font (like Palatino with Latin Modern Math), I wish my variable
names can also be in the math font (or at least very similar, such as
Latin Modern vs. Latin Modern Math) to better merge with the formula.

The way I am currently doing is to introduce some “math text fonts”
that is different from the main text font but close to the math font.
And with custom font switchers like `\mwrm` and `\mwit` to help me
define things like
```
\def\wordrm#1{\mbox{\mwrm #1}}
\def\wordit#1{\mbox{\mwit #1}}
```
Am I missing some builtin functionalities or easier ways to do this? If
not, would it be a good idea to extend the functionality of `\mathword`
so it lifts out the restriction of only using the main text font?

Thanks!

Shuxian Wang

* Re: Multi-letter words/identifiers in math
@ 2019-09-30 13:22 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <CAA58SD99+xNeyEPQGU6ELHurO35+RVDUTjUanSfG5xMJnweHJA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-09-30 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9/29/2019 9:30 AM, Shuxian Wang wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to typeset some multi-letter words/identifiers in
> mathematical formulas. Currently, doing things like |{\it variable}| or
> |{\mathit variable}| under math mode will cause the engine to shift all
> characters into the corresponding unicode mathematical alphanumeric
> block position. However, most OpenType fonts that have good support for
> unicode math are optimized for single-character usage. Therefore, the
> outcome of such method is non-ideal, as no kerning or ligatures will be
> enabled. Especially, this gives bad output when typesetting variable
> names with combinations like “ffi”.
>
> Looking through some past discussions on the list, I am aware of the
> usage of |\mathword| and |\mathtext|. Using those command will keep all
> the characters “as is” and typeset them under text mode (as far as I can
> tell). But those commands switch to the main body fonts temporarily to
> accomplish this. Sometime when using a different math font than the main
> font (like Palatino with Latin Modern Math), I wish my variable names
> can also be in the math font (or at least very similar, such as Latin
> Modern vs. Latin Modern Math) to better merge with the formula.
>
> The way I am currently doing is to introduce some “math text fonts” that
> is different from the main text font but close to the math font. And
> with custom font switchers like |\mwrm| and |\mwit| to help me define
> things like
> |
> \def\wordrm#1{\mbox{\mwrm #1}}
> \def\wordit#1{\mbox{\mwit #1}}
> |
> Am I missing some builtin functionalities or easier ways to do this? If
> not, would it be a good idea to extend the functionality of |\mathword|
> so it lifts out the restriction of only using the main text font?
maybe \mfunction{...} is what you are looking for

@ 2019-10-01 17:28     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2019-10-01 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/1/2019 6:52 PM, Shuxian Wang wrote:
> Thanks Hans!
>
> Your suggestion does partially solve the problem, but it seems that
> `\mfunction` internally called `\rm` to set upright Roman font in math
> mode. Does achieving the same effects (text-like kerning) for italics
> and bold style still requires custom fonts?
It depends on the font. A proper opentype math font should have at least
the basic latin characters for test and these then if needed will have
kerns and such.

Hans