* how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-03 16:28 Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2009-08-03 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: NTG ConTeXt

I downloaded and installed the minimals. Running LuaTeX MKIV then
hangs in TeXShop and must be aborted. Does someone knows what is amiss
here?

I use the following runscript in TeXShop:
#!/bin/bash
export MINIMAL="$HOME/TeX/context/beta"
$MINIMAL/tex/setuptex
export PATH=$MINIMAL/tex/texmf-osx-ppc/bin:$PATH
export TEXMFCACHE="$MINIMAL/tex/texmf-cache"
context "$1"

Minimals:

Setting "/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex" as TEXROOT.
This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.42.0-2009071723
  \write18 enabled.
(reign.tex
ConTeXt  ver: 2009.07.23 20:11 MKIV  fmt: 2009.8.3  int: english/english
system          : cont-new loaded
(/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-
new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-
new.mkiv))
system          : cont-fil loaded
(/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/cont-
fil.tex
)
system          : cont-sys loaded
(/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/cont-
sys.tex)
system          : reign.top loaded
(reign.top)
fonts           : preloading latin modern fonts
(/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-
tmf.tex (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/
base/type-tmf.mkiv)) (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-context/
tex/context/base/type-siz.tex (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-
context/tex/context/base/type-siz.mkiv)) (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/
tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.tex (/Users/hans/TeX/
context/beta/tex/texmf-context/tex/context/base/type-otf.mkiv)) (/
Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/type-
luc.tex) (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/
user/type-mti.tex) (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/
context/user/type-psc.tex
Process aborted

Old version that runs to completion (albeit refusing to resize
externalfigures):

(reign.tex
ConTeXt  ver: 2008.10.31 13:58 MKIV  fmt: 2008.12.17  int: english/
english
language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems         : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-new.mkiv) (/usr/
local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-mtx.tex))
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
system         : cont-sys loaded
(/Users/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/user/cont-sys.tex)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
specials       : pdftex loaded
system         : reign.top loaded
(reign.top) (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-
tmf.tex) (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-
siz.tex) (/usr/local/texlive/texmf-local/tex/context/base/type-
otf.tex) (/Users/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/user/type-luc.tex)
bodyfont       : style fx (fax) defined
bodyfont       : style ssit (sansitalic) defined
bodyfont       : style tts (monosans) defined
(/Users/hans/Library/texmf/tex/context/user/type-mti.tex) (/Users/hans/
Library/texmf/tex/context/user/type-psc.tex) (/Users/hans/Library/
texmf/tex/context/user/math-luc.tex
etcetera

Hans van der Meer

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-04 14:22 ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 18:28, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> I downloaded and installed the minimals. Running LuaTeX MKIV then hangs in
> TeXShop and must be aborted. Does someone knows what is amiss here?
> I use the following runscript in TeXShop:
> #!/bin/bash
> export MINIMAL="$HOME/TeX/context/beta"
> $MINIMAL/tex/setuptex
> export PATH=$MINIMAL/tex/texmf-osx-ppc/bin:$PATH
> export TEXMFCACHE="$MINIMAL/tex/texmf-cache"
> context "$1"
> Minimals:
> Setting "/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex" as TEXROOT.
> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.42.0-2009071723
>  \write18 enabled.
> (reign.tex
> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.07.23 20:11 MKIV  fmt: 2009.8.3  int: english/english
> system          : cont-new loaded
> (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/type-luc.tex)
> (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/type-mti.tex)
> (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/type-psc.tex
> Process aborted

Please post the contents of the three type- files on your machine
(type-luc.tex, type-mti.tex, type-psc.tex)

Mojca

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-04 17:17   ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2009-08-04 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

The files requested are here, zipped together. I am working happily
with them for quite some time. Could it be they are outdated?

Hans van der Meer

On 4 aug 2009, at 16:22, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 18:28, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>> I downloaded and installed the minimals. Running LuaTeX MKIV then
>> hangs in
>> TeXShop and must be aborted. Does someone knows what is amiss here?
>> I use the following runscript in TeXShop:
>> #!/bin/bash
>> export MINIMAL="$HOME/TeX/context/beta"
>> $MINIMAL/tex/setuptex
>> export PATH=$MINIMAL/tex/texmf-osx-ppc/bin:$PATH
>> export TEXMFCACHE="$MINIMAL/tex/texmf-cache"
>> context "$1"
>> Minimals:
>> Setting "/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex" as TEXROOT.
>> This is LuaTeX, Version beta-0.42.0-2009071723
>>  \write18 enabled.
>> (reign.tex
>> ConTeXt  ver: 2009.07.23 20:11 MKIV  fmt: 2009.8.3  int: english/
>> english
>> system          : cont-new loaded
>> (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/type-
>> luc.tex)
>> (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/type-
>> mti.tex)
>> (/Users/hans/TeX/context/beta/tex/texmf-local/tex/context/user/type-
>> psc.tex
>> Process aborted
>
> Please post the contents of the three type- files on your machine
> (type-luc.tex, type-mti.tex, type-psc.tex)
>
> Mojca

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 278 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: type-files.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 7575 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.3: Type: text/html, Size: 5056 bytes --]

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-04 17:45     ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-04 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 19:17, Hans van der Meer wrote:
> The files requested are here, zipped together. I am working happily with
> them for quite some time. Could it be they are outdated?

Yes, it's quite possible. I don't have the fonts to test, but a few
possible relevant remarks:

1.) Try not to use that typescript and check if it still breaks

2.) Even if your typescripts are broken, there must be a bug
somewhere: luatex should not hang even if you feed it with junk; even
if you fix the typescripts, try to find the reason for that behaviour

3.) You use Lucida math; I would be surprised if it still works (I
would bet it doesn't, but I might be wrong.)

4.) It seems that the run breaks in type-psc (not 100% sure)

5.) [encoding=8r] ??? That's not even supposed to work in MKIV (unless
I'm wrong). Usually it gets ignored (and luatex just reads afm and pfb
files), but I'm not sure how exactly tfm reading works (if it works at
all inside typescripts).

6.) If you don't like TeX Gyre and think that using the old PostScript
fonts are still needed, it might make sense to revise your typescript
and make an optional officially unsupported (but public) typescript
that others could use as well (not sure if that would mean including
it in core or not).

Mojca

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-04 18:47       ` Hans van der Meer
From: Hans van der Meer @ 2009-08-04 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Mojca for your answer and suggestion. There surely is something
with my typescripts that makes them happy under mkii and very unhappy
under mkiv. Switching them out of the way at least brings typesetting
in LM back.

However, I am attached to my use of Lucida and Mathtimes (both from
Y&Y) and I would very much like to continue using them. Do you have a
pointer with what to start? Would you give changing texnansi for 8r a
good chance, for a first try? Or is more heavy surgery on my typefiles
needed? I was never very good with typefiles and I fear very much I
can start over all again for mkiv.

For the regular postscript fonts like NewCenturySchoolbook etc. I will
we be happy to use the TeX Gyre files for these. I guess they are
already somewhere in my system. Would you please point me to a
relevant starting point for the necessary incantations? For some dark
reason I always seem to get lost when searching the ContextWiki for a
specific topic.

Hans van der Meer

@ 2009-08-04 19:43         ` Mojca Miklavec
From: Mojca Miklavec @ 2009-08-04 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 20:47, Hans van der Meer wrote:

> Thanks Mojca for your answer and suggestion. There surely is something with
> my typescripts that makes them happy under mkii and very unhappy under mkiv.

MKIV has undergone *heavy* changes recently, and fonts were one of the
area that has been influenced a lot. You should not expect your old
typescripts to work with MKIV without modifications.

> Switching them out of the way at least brings typesetting in LM back.
> However, I am attached to my use of Lucida and Mathtimes (both from Y&Y) and
> I would very much like to continue using them. Do you have a pointer with
> what to start?

Math definitions are a bit non-trivial and might be a subject to
change. I thought Hans was using Lucida extensively, at least all of
his manuals are typeset in lucida, so you have a slightly better
chance to get it done.

I'll stop responding about math at this point since I don't know
enough and I should not invest time into it right now.

> Would you give changing texnansi for 8r a good chance, for a
> first try? Or is more heavy surgery on my typefiles needed?

It's best if Hans answers about the preferred way to use the old tfm
fonts with ConTeXt. But for math it definitely means heavy surgery.
Not even times and palatino are working properly as far as I know. You
may take a look at type-otf.mkiv and type-vfu. One needs to create a
table of glyphs. I fear that Lucida has them at non-standard slots.

I would gladly help with lucida, but I may not right now.

> I was never very
> good with typefiles and I fear very much I can start over all again for
> mkiv.

:)

... and I fear you are right.

Well, you might need some help to get Lucida done. Since you are happy
with TeX Gyre, most fonts that kept causing you problem are already
covered, right?

> For the regular postscript fonts like NewCenturySchoolbook etc.

\usetypescript[schola]
\setupbodyfont[schola]

or

\usetypescript[schoolbook]
\setupbodyfont[schoolbook]

But ... what matching math font were you usually using?

> I will we be
> happy to use the TeX Gyre files for these. I guess they are already
> somewhere in my system.

You probably have texgyreschola-regular.otf etc. if you either have TL
2008/09 or ConTeXt minimals.

> Would you please point me to a relevant starting
> point for the necessary incantations?

Hmmmm .... http://wiki.contextgarden.net/TeX_Gyre, but the best
reference is usually type-xxx.mkiv/tex.

> For some dark reason I always seem to
> get lost when searching the ContextWiki for a specific topic.

That might not necessary be your problem :) Wiki is not in the best
shape, but ...

Mojca

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-04 20:25           ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-08-04 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 4, 2009 at 20:47, Hans van der Meer wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Mojca for your answer and suggestion. There surely is something with
>> my typescripts that makes them happy under mkii and very unhappy under mkiv.
>
> MKIV has undergone *heavy* changes recently, and fonts were one of the
> area that has been influenced a lot. You should not expect your old
> typescripts to work with MKIV without modifications.
>
>> Switching them out of the way at least brings typesetting in LM back.
>> However, I am attached to my use of Lucida and Mathtimes (both from Y&Y) and
>> I would very much like to continue using them. Do you have a pointer with
>> what to start?
>
> Math definitions are a bit non-trivial and might be a subject to
> change. I thought Hans was using Lucida extensively, at least all of
> his manuals are typeset in lucida, so you have a slightly better
> chance to get it done.

Wolfgang had made typescripts of lucida math. I don't remember where he
uploaded them.

Aditya

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-04 21:27             ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-04 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 04.08.2009 um 22:25 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> Wolfgang had made typescripts of lucida math.

This information is new to me, I wrote typescripts for the text fonts
but not for math.

Wolfgang

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-04 23:56               ` Aditya Mahajan
From: Aditya Mahajan @ 2009-08-04 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

> Am 04.08.2009 um 22:25 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:
>
>> Wolfgang had made typescripts of lucida math.
>
> This information is new to me, I wrote typescripts for the text fonts but not
> for math.

Sorry, I got confused. Maybe if I don't work on the math typescripts long
enough, you will eventually write the math typescripts also :)

Aditya

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-05  6:47                 ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2009-08-05  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 05.08.2009 um 01:56 schrieb Aditya Mahajan:

> Sorry, I got confused. Maybe if I don't work on the math typescripts
> long enough, you will eventually write the math typescripts also :)

I planned to write the tables for math-vfu but wasn't in the right
mood until now.

Maybe I will take then also a look at the mathdesign fonts too (if
nobody else is interested).

Wolfgang

* Re: how to get minimals working?
@ 2009-08-06 13:13           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2009-08-06 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> Math definitions are a bit non-trivial and might be a subject to
> change. I thought Hans was using Lucida extensively, at least all of
> his manuals are typeset in lucida, so you have a slightly better
> chance to get it done.

i did use lucida when it was still shipped in the original yandy
encodings bit nowadays it's shipped in encodings that target latex

if i need lucida i'll look into it again

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE