* Duplicate names in figure libraries
@ 2006-05-02  4:28 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-05-02  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans et al,

I have two figure libraries, figlibSection1.xml and
figlibSection2.xml. In the first, I have:

<figure>
<file>sec1rat1.png</file>
<label>rat1</label>
<copyright>College of the Redwoods Mathematics Department</copyright>
<comment></comment>
</figure>

In the second, I have:

<figure>
<file>section2figs-mpgraph.1</file>
<label>rat1</label>
<copyright>College of the Redwoods Mathematics Department</copyright>
<comment></comment>
</figure>

Now, section1.tex does:

\usefigurebase[figures/figlibSection1]

And later:

\startbuffer[figure]
\startcombination[3*1]
   {\externalfigure[rat1][width=.2\textwidth]}{(a)}
   {\externalfigure[rat2][width=.2\textwidth]}{(b)}
   {\externalfigure[rat3][width=.2\textwidth]}{(c)}
\stopcombination
\stopbuffer

\placefigure
[][fig:rat]
{The calculator attempts to draw a continuous function when it
shouldn't.}
{\getbuffer[figure]}

Section2.tex does:

\usefigurebase[figures/figlibSection2]

And later:

\placefigure
[][fig:rat1]
{The numerator is zero at $x=-2$. This is an $x$-intercept of the
graph. The denominator is zero at $x=3$. This is a vertical asymptote
of the graph.}
{\externalfigure[rat1]}

All is fine if I compile section1.tex and section2.tex separately.
But I have chapter6.tex with:

\startproduct chapter6

\project book

\startbodymatter

\setupheadnumber[chapter][5]

\chapter[chap:6]{Rational Functions}

\component chapter6/section1 %Introducing Rational Functions

\component chapter6/section2  %Zeros and Asymptotes

\stopbodymatter

\stopproduct

When I compile this, the rat1 in section2.tex uses the rat1 meant for
section1.tex instead. Any I can fix this other than giving unique
names to everything?

* Re: Duplicate names in figure libraries
@ 2006-05-03 16:16 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2006-05-03 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi David,

unless Hans releases some magic, there is no way than to have different
labels in both files.

Willi

@ 2006-05-03 20:27   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2006-05-03 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Willi Egger wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> unless Hans releases some magic, there is no way than to have different
> labels in both files.

we can consider adding a <rl:collection>somename</rl:collection> element  so that one has to use somename:somelabel to locate a graphic

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2006-05-04  6:19     ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2006-05-04  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans et al,

I'm afraid I don't know enough xml to understand this.

How would something lik this change with your suggested strategy?

<figure>
<file>sec4twoa.png</file>
<label>sec4twoa</label>
<copyright>College of the Redwoods Mathematics Department</copyright>
<comment></comment>
</figure>

Here's why I asked. You have a team working on Chapter 5, which has
sections 1-7. Let's say each person volunteers to write a section.
Unless they agree on a naming strategy beforehand, there could be
duplicate names in the figure library files.

And then you could have several chapters with more sections.