I got this error after I had changed some lua code: tex error > tex error on line 272 in file archimate-lua.new: ! Undefined control sequence warnIfVerbose( "Breaking off the processing of node %s\nNo l...eak xsi:type", node) \luat_start_lua_code_indeed ...ormalexpanded {\endgroup \noexpand \directlua {#1 }} l.272 \stopluacode The control sequence at the end of the top line of your error message was never \def'ed. You can just continue as I'll forget about whatever was undefined. I have been looking at that code for over two hours, not seeing anything wrong with it. But I’ve now finally found the culprit and I still do not get it. The culprit was: warnIfVerbose( "Breaking off the processing of %s\n No elementRef", node) The problem goes away when I use: warnIfVerbose( "Breaking off the processing of %s\nNo elementRef", node) (I don’t want the line after the node is printed to begin with a space). But the lack of space between \n and N kills lua (apparently). For completeness (as string.format and texio.write_nl are also in play): function warnWithLabelIfVerbose( str, ... ) if verboseProgram then texio.write_nl( str .. string.format(...)) end end function warnIfVerbose( ... ) warnWithLabelIfVerbose("-----> ", ...) end Is this a lua bug? A ConTeXt bug? Expected behaviour? And if so, why is reported that on line 272 (where \stopluacode is) is the error? Or is the error message indeed helpful and do I just lack the know how to interpret it? G (Took me three hours, this one. Just removing that space that happened with some other changes was the culprit. Totally unexpected for me.)