* ConTEXt - produced book
@ 2008-04-08 13:16 Jörg Hagmann
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jörg Hagmann @ 2008-04-08 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Dear list members,

My biochemistry textbook has been published by orell füssli as an UTB
book. I would like to thank all the members of this list, and Hans in
particular, for their help (acknowledgements in the "Thank you" section
of the book as well).

You'll find a few sample pages under:
www.ogbasel.ch/context.html (2.5MB)

Page and margin sizes prescribed by the publisher. The pages illustrate:

p. 7: The use of inmargin text.
p. 79: a "vignette", in the margin and partially in the text area.
p. 110: The height of some margin figures  was  large, necessitating
manual adjustments.
p. 145: A framed box and a wide table. The large number of enumerations,
figures, frames etc. made some  typographical sins inevitable (e.g. last
line on this page).
p. 155: textbody and margin completely filled
p. 190: I include this page for Willi and Thomas
p. 235: Some chapters end with what students really need to know (red
background). This is the end of the chapter on nutrition
p. 239: The "Toolbox" contains framed figures without a legend.

--
Prof.Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book
@ 2008-04-08 13:22 ` Santy, Michael
From: Santy, Michael @ 2008-04-08 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Very nice!  Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Mike

@ 2008-04-08 14:15 ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-08 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Jörg Hagmann <joerg.hagmann@unibas.ch> wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
>  My biochemistry textbook has been published by orell füssli as an UTB
>  book. I would like to thank all the members of this list, and Hans in
>  particular, for their help (acknowledgements in the "Thank you" section
>  of the book as well).
>
>  You'll find a few sample pages under:
>  www.ogbasel.ch/context.html (2.5MB)

What about to  put it on the wiki ?

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book
@ 2008-04-08 20:33   ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-08 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-08 um 16:15 schrieb luigi scarso:
> What about to  put it on the wiki ?

How about a list of books (or everything else) made with ConTeXt?

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book
@ 2008-04-08 20:44 ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-04-08 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Impressive

Congrats

-a-

On 8 Apr 2008, at 15:16, Jörg Hagmann wrote:

> Dear list members,
>
> My biochemistry textbook has been published by orell füssli as an UTB
> book. I would like to thank all the members of this list, and Hans in
> particular, for their help (acknowledgements in the "Thank you"
> section
> of the book as well).
>
> You'll find a few sample pages under:
> www.ogbasel.ch/context.html (2.5MB)
>
> Page and margin sizes prescribed by the publisher. The pages
> illustrate:
>
> p. 7: The use of inmargin text.
> p. 79: a "vignette", in the margin and partially in the text area.
> p. 110: The height of some margin figures  was  large, necessitating
> manual adjustments.
> p. 145: A framed box and a wide table. The large number of
> enumerations,
> figures, frames etc. made some  typographical sins inevitable (e.g.
> last
> line on this page).
> p. 155: textbody and margin completely filled
> p. 190: I include this page for Willi and Thomas
> p. 235: Some chapters end with what students really need to know (red
> background). This is the end of the chapter on nutrition
> p. 239: The "Toolbox" contains framed figures without a legend.
>
> --
> Prof.Dr.med. Jörg Hagmann-Zanolari
> Institute of Biochemistry and Genetics
> Centre of Biomedicine, University of Basel
> Mattenstrasse 28
> CH-4058 Basel
> Switzerland
> Phone +41 (0)61 267 3565

> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"
Think of it as seasoning
. noise [salt] is boring
. F(blah) [food without salt] can be boring
. F(noise, blah) can be really tasty
"
(Ken Perlin on noise)

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book
@ 2008-04-08 20:48     ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-04-08 20:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Henning> How about a list of books (or everything else) made with
Henning> ConTeXt?

How about to make book about ConTeXt?

Sincerely,
Gour

--

Gour  | Zagreb, Croatia  | GPG key: C6E7162D

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 196 bytes --]

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book
@ 2008-04-08 20:55       ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-04-08 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Always asked for.
But nobody raise a hand...:-)

I would read it eagerly

-a-

@ 2008-04-09  5:37         ` Gour
From: Gour @ 2008-04-09  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

Andrea> Always asked for.  But nobody raise a hand...:-)

Andrea> I would read it eagerly

I would even buy it ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--

@ 2008-04-09  7:06           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-09  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

2008/4/9, Gour <gour@mail.inet.hr>:
>  Andrea> Always asked for.  But nobody raise a hand...:-)
>  Andrea> I would read it eagerly
>  I would even buy it ;)

I wouldn't - I've a shelf full of development books but always only
use online docs. In this area books simply are too slow.

Greetlings, Hraban

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book
@ 2008-04-09  7:19             ` Andrea Valle
From: Andrea Valle @ 2008-04-09  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

A book is not at all a repository of code or a reference.
It can be foundational, and in that case you'll just keep on reading
for many years.
(the TeX Book)

A serious update and expansion of the manual would be enough.

Best

-a-

On 9 Apr 2008, at 09:06, Henning Hraban Ramm wrote:

> 2008/4/9, Gour <gour@mail.inet.hr>:
>>  Andrea> Always asked for.  But nobody raise a hand...:-)
>>  Andrea> I would read it eagerly
>>  I would even buy it ;)
>
> I wouldn't - I've a shelf full of development books but always only
> use online docs. In this area books simply are too slow.
>
> Greetlings, Hraban
> ntg-context
> wiki     : http://contextgarden.net
> _____________

Andrea Valle
CIRMA - DAMS
Università degli Studi di Torino
--> http://www.cirma.unito.it/andrea/
--> http://www.myspace.com/andreavalle
--> andrea.valle@unito.it

"
Think of it as seasoning
. noise [salt] is boring
. F(blah) [food without salt] can be boring
. F(noise, blah) can be really tasty
"
(Ken Perlin on noise)

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book about ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-09  7:57       ` Maurice Diamantini
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Maurice Diamantini @ 2008-04-09  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le 8 avr. 08 à 22:48, Gour a écrit :

> Henning> How about a list of books (or everything else) made with
> Henning> ConTeXt?
>
> How about to make book about ConTeXt?

:-)))

I guess that with the upcomming luatex, mkiv or other lua-metapost,
there
will never be a context book!?
... but I hope there will be a "mark" (or any next conTeXt name) book

ConTeXt is not a simple language library, but a full typing system
which need a true documentation.
So, even if a command reference could be read online (or in source
code ;-),
An extended user manual (e.g. equivalent to the old manual + the
official
tabular system, + ...) is still needed.

A ConTeXt book would provide a stable base for learning ConTeXt.
The ConTeXt version would also serve as basis for features, and any
future online docs could be classified as "before" (read "obsolete")
or "after" the context book.

Also all ConTeXt features from the book should be suppose to work
except if mentioned in an online correction documentation.

P.S.
I don't use any more ConTeXt for some raison (I come back to LaTex)
But I keep looking at the mailing list and I hope to come back to
ConTeXt
some months later.
I keep thinking that ConTeXt is the future of LaTeX!

-- Maurice

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book about ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-09  8:39         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-09  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 9:57 AM, Maurice Diamantini
<Maurice.Diamantini@ensta.fr> wrote:

> Le 8 avr. 08 à 22:48, Gour a écrit :
>
> > Henning> How about a list of books (or everything else) made with
> > Henning> ConTeXt?
> >
> > How about to make book about ConTeXt?
>
> :-)))
>
> I guess that with the upcomming luatex, mkiv or other lua-metapost,
> there will never be a context book!?

Why, the interface will not change, you shouldn't notice any difference
between pdfTeX, XeTeX or LuaTeX.

MkIV has a new method (xml setups) to use XML files but the old one
(xml definitions) could be used without problems.

Font setup changed slightly with MkIV but this happened also for XeTeX
a few times in the past.

The rest conceirns only bug fixes or new features.

http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-41.htm

http://www.pragma-ade.com/show-man-10.htm

> An extended user manual (e.g. equivalent to the old manual + the
> official tabular system, + ...) is still needed.

You could try to merge the big manual and the starter manual.

The sources are available only.

> A ConTeXt book would provide a stable base for learning ConTeXt.
> The ConTeXt version would also serve as basis for features, and any
> future online docs could be classified as "before" (read "obsolete")
> or "after" the context book.

None of ConTeXt's manuals are obsolete, the big manuals provides
the basic for daily works and the other manual cover special topics
like colummns, integrations of MetaPost ...

> Also all ConTeXt features from the book should be suppose to work
> except if mentioned in an online correction documentation.

Wolfgang

* Re: ConTEXt - produced book about ConTeXt
@ 2008-04-09  8:39         ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-09  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  ConTeXt is not a simple language library, but a full typing system
>  which need a true documentation.
True
>  So, even if a command reference could be read online (or in source
>  code ;-),
True;
actually there is something at
http://wiki.contextgarden.net/User:Luigi.scarso/modules.pdf
but I'm (slowly) changing it

>  P.S.
>  I don't use any more ConTeXt for some raison (I come back to LaTex)
:(
>  But I keep looking at the mailing list and I hope to come back to
>  ConTeXt
>  some months later.
:)

@ 2008-04-09 15:20         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-04-09 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Maurice Diamantini wrote:
> Le 8 avr. 08 à 22:48, Gour a écrit :
>
>> Henning> How about a list of books (or everything else) made with
>> Henning> ConTeXt?
>>
>> How about to make book about ConTeXt?
>
> :-)))
>
> I guess that with the upcomming luatex, mkiv or other lua-metapost,
> there
> will never be a context book!?
> .... but I hope there will be a "mark" (or any next conTeXt name) book

mkii and mkiv are just version tags, it's still context

if there is to be a book, it will be about context mkiv (less hassle
with  encodings and funny chars and ...)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE