* Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30  9:37 luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-30  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

See also Missing  character in texgyreheros

\startluacode
function greek_sub(line)
 line = line:gsub('ά','\\buildtextaccent\\textacute\\greekalpha{}')
 line = line:gsub('έ','\\buildtextaccent\\textacute\\greekepsilon{}')
 line = line:gsub('ή','\\buildtextaccent\\textacute\\greeketa{}')
 line = line:gsub('ί','\\buildtextaccent\\textacute\\greekiota{}')
 line = line:gsub('ό','\\buildtextaccent\\textacute\\greekomicron{}')
 line = line:gsub('ύ','\\buildtextaccent\\textacute\\greekupsilon{}')
 line = line:gsub('ώ','\\buildtextaccent\\textacute\\greekomega{}')
 line = line:gsub('Ό',"'\\greekOmicron{}")
 line = line:gsub("Ά","'\\greekAlpha{}")
 line = line:gsub("Έ","'\\greekEpsilon{}")
 line = line:gsub("Ή","'\\greekEta{}")
 line = line:gsub("Ί","'\\greekIota{}")
 line = line:gsub("ϊ","\\buildtextaccent\\textdiaeresis\\greekiota{}")
 line = line:gsub("Ύ","'\\greekUpsilon{}")
 line = line:gsub("Ώ","'\\greekOmega{}")
 return line
end
\stopluacode
\def\startfiltered{\ctxlua {callback.register('process_input_buffer',
greek_sub)}}

Of course, incomplete.

2008/4/29 Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com>:
>  This should also work (but untested)
>
>    \catcode`\ώ=\active \def ώ{\buildtextaccent\textacute\greekomega}
I will give it a try

I'm not searching for the perfect way, just a way to print a greek pdf
Suggestions welcome.

--
luigi
it's new .

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30  9:51 ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-30  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 30, 2008, at 11:37 AM, luigi scarso wrote:

> I'm not searching for the perfect way, just a way to print a greek pdf
> Suggestions welcome.

Well, the easiest solution is: use a font that does have a full set of
Greek characters. The TeXGyre fonts have some Greek characters, but
they are not really finished and are not usable right now. You're
trying to fake characters which are not in the font; this is
unsatisfying from an esthetical point of view and hackish as for the
produced pdf (not cut-and-paste, no search etc.). For better results,
try a font such as Gentium, Minion, or even Times New Roman. If it's
important for you: for several months now, I have been using a version
of my Greek module which works perfectly with mkiv; so far, I haven't
seen the necesity to upload it, but I could do it any time (after some
clean-up).

Best

Thomas

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 10:06   ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-30 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>  On Apr 30, 2008, at 11:37 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>  > I'm not searching for the perfect way, just a way to print a greek pdf
>  > Suggestions welcome.
>
>  Well, the easiest solution is: use a font that does have a full set of
>  Greek characters. The TeXGyre fonts have some Greek characters, but
>  they are not really finished and are not usable right now.
I need
an opentype like helvetica , plus some times and courier;
ie
\usetypescript[postscript]
is  ok.

>You're
>  trying to fake characters which are not in the font; this is
>  unsatisfying from an esthetical point of view and hackish as for the
>  produced pdf (not cut-and-paste, no search etc.).
yes I know, but actually  i need only  print, and it's  low/mid quality.
Very raw, I agree.

>If it's
>  important for you: for several months now, I have been using a version
>  of my Greek module which works perfectly with mkiv; so far, I haven't
>  seen the necesity to upload it, but I could do it any time (after some
>  clean-up).
yes, of course.

--

@ 2008-04-30 10:13     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-30 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:06 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 11:51 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz
> <thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:
> >
> >  On Apr 30, 2008, at 11:37 AM, luigi scarso wrote:
> >
> >  > I'm not searching for the perfect way, just a way to print a greek pdf
> >  > Suggestions welcome.
> >
> >  Well, the easiest solution is: use a font that does have a full set of
> >  Greek characters. The TeXGyre fonts have some Greek characters, but
> >  they are not really finished and are not usable right now.
> I need
> an opentype like helvetica , plus some times and courier;
> ie
> \usetypescript[postscript]
> is  ok.

You could use Microsofts new Vista fonts (Cambria, Corbel, Consolas ...)

> >You're
> >  trying to fake characters which are not in the font; this is
> >  unsatisfying from an esthetical point of view and hackish as for the
> >  produced pdf (not cut-and-paste, no search etc.).
> yes I know, but actually  i need only  print, and it's  low/mid quality.
> Very raw, I agree.
>
> >If it's
> >  important for you: for several months now, I have been using a version
> >  of my Greek module which works perfectly with mkiv; so far, I haven't
> >  seen the necesity to upload it, but I could do it any time (after some
> >  clean-up).
> yes, of course.

Wolfgang

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 10:25       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-30 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

>  > ie
>  > \usetypescript[postscript]
>  > is  ok.
>
>  You could use Microsofts new Vista fonts (Cambria, Corbel, Consolas ...)
Can we  share a link , or licences problems may arise ?

--

@ 2008-04-30 10:32     ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-30 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:06 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> I need
> an opentype like helvetica , plus some times and courier;
> ie
> \usetypescript[postscript]
> is  ok.

I'm not sure I understand. Why opentype (truetype works as well in
mkiv)? And what do you mean with  "\usetypescript[postscript] is  ok"?
Here's a list of fonts with full Greek support (with some links) that
are sure to work in mkiv:

Gentium (this one looks good when you mix it with a sans as "Latin"
bodyfont)
all the GFS fonts http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces1.html
Minion (comes with Adobe Reader)
Old Standard http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/fonts.html
Recent versions of Times New Roman
Asteria http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/greek-fonts.asp

If all you need is characters with the acute accent ("monotoniko"),
you could also look at Adobe Myriad (comes with Adobe Reader) and
numerous other fonts.

HTH

Thomas

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 10:34   ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-30 10:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 30, 2008, at 11:51 AM, Thomas A. Schmitz wrote:

> The TeXGyre fonts have some Greek characters, but
> they are not really finished and are not usable right now.

Just to clarify an ambiguous sentence: "they" refers to the Greek
characters, not to the TeXGyre fonts in general.

Thomas

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 10:47       ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-30 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>  On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:06 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
>
>  > I need
>  > an opentype like helvetica , plus some times and courier;
>  > ie
>  > \usetypescript[postscript]
>  > is  ok.
>
>  I'm not sure I understand. Why opentype (truetype works as well in
>  mkiv)? And what do you mean with  "\usetypescript[postscript] is  ok"?
sorry
1) in my luatex env.
\usetypescript[postscript]
is linked with tex gyre font collections
2) opentype because they are.... so easy to install !
Just download in opentype dir,
rehash,
and it's all ok.

>  Here's a list of fonts with full Greek support (with some links) that
>  are sure to work in mkiv:
>
>  Gentium (this one looks good when you mix it with a sans as "Latin"
>  bodyfont)
>  all the GFS fonts http://www.greekfontsociety.gr/pages/en_typefaces1.html
>  Minion (comes with Adobe Reader)
>  Old Standard http://www.thessalonica.org.ru/en/fonts.html
>  Recent versions of Times New Roman
>  Asteria http://www.ellopos.net/elpenor/greek-texts/greek-fonts.asp
>
>  If all you need is characters with the acute accent ("monotoniko"),
>  you could also look at Adobe Myriad (comes with Adobe Reader) and
>  numerous other fonts.
thank you very much!!
(and waiting for you module...)

=====

@ 2008-04-30 10:52         ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-30 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:25 PM, luigi scarso <luigi.scarso@gmail.com> wrote:
> >  > ie
> >  > \usetypescript[postscript]
> >  > is  ok.
> >
> >  You could use Microsofts new Vista fonts (Cambria, Corbel, Consolas ...)
> Can we  share a link , or licences problems may arise ?

Google for "PowerPoint Viewer 2007".

Wolfgang

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 12:29         ` Thomas A. Schmitz
From: Thomas A. Schmitz @ 2008-04-30 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:47 PM, luigi scarso wrote:

> sorry
> 1) in my luatex env.
> \usetypescript[postscript]
> is linked with tex gyre font collections
> 2) opentype because they are.... so easy to install !
> Just download in opentype dir,
> rehash,
> and it's all ok.

OK, but installing truetype is exactly the same.

> thank you very much!!
> (and waiting for you module...)

I have just uploaded a new version to the garden. It's not really
finished, so documentation is missing and there are still a few
leftovers in the code, but I hope everything is in working order. I'd
appreciate feedback. This should work with mkii, mkiv and XeTeX, so
just run a testfile with one of the included fonts:

\enableregime[utf]

\usemodule[ancientgreek][font=GFSElpis,scale=1]

\starttext

Some Greek text:

\localgreek{Μῆνιν ἄειδε, θεά, Πηληϊάδεω
Ἀχιλῆος}

\stoptext

Here, it gives correct output with all engines:

texexec test.tex

texexec --xtx test.tex

texexec --lua test.tex

Best

Thomas

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 12:34           ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-04-30 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

> On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:47 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
> >>
> > sorry
> > 1) in my luatex env.
> > \usetypescript[postscript]
> > is linked with tex gyre font collections
> > 2) opentype because they are.... so easy to install !
> > Just download in opentype dir,
> > rehash,
> > and it's all ok.
> >
> OK, but installing truetype is exactly the same.

A TrueType could be also a OpenType font :-)

http://www.typografie.info/typowiki/index.php?title=OpenType#Unterschied_TrueType-OpenType

Sorry, german only.

Wolfgang

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 12:49           ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-30 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-30 um 12:52 schrieb Wolfgang Schuster:
>>>  You could use Microsofts new Vista fonts (Cambria, Corbel,
>>> Consolas ...)
>> Can we  share a link , or licences problems may arise ?
> Google for "PowerPoint Viewer 2007".

Quoting Microsoft's download page:

"""
Font Components
You may use the fonts that accompany the PowerPoint Viewer only to
display and print content from a device running a Microsoft Windows
operating system. Additionally, you may do the following:
Embed fonts in content as permitted by the embedding restrictions in
the fonts
When printing content, temporarily download the fonts to a printer or
other output device
You may not copy, install or use the fonts on other devices.
"""

Greetlings from Lake Constance!
Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net/texnique/
http://wiki.contextgarden.net
https://www.cacert.org (I'm an assurer)

* Re: Missing greeks characters in texgyreheros
@ 2008-04-30 17:22           ` luigi scarso
From: luigi scarso @ 2008-04-30 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:29 PM, Thomas A. Schmitz
<thomas.schmitz@uni-bonn.de> wrote:

>  On Apr 30, 2008, at 12:47 PM, luigi scarso wrote:
>  >>
>  > sorry
>  > 1) in my luatex env.
>  > \usetypescript[postscript]
>  > is linked with tex gyre font collections
>  > 2) opentype because they are.... so easy to install !
>  > Just download in opentype dir,
>  > rehash,
>  > and it's all ok.
>  >
>  OK, but installing truetype is exactly the same.
Ah yes, at my printing company
1) pfb/pfa : "good" fonts  (&  not "easy"  to install in luatex )
2) otf : "good" fonts  (& "easy" to install )
3) ttf : "bad" fonts  (& "easy " to install )

Of course it's not exactly true (but maybe on average):
a mental habitat, I must admit it, based on experience.
Also, an helvetica like typeface is a must.
>  I have just uploaded a new version to the garden.
good. Greek is really difficult for me

--

@ 2008-04-30 19:22             ` Henning Hraban Ramm
From: Henning Hraban Ramm @ 2008-04-30 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 2008-04-30 um 19:22 schrieb luigi scarso:
> Ah yes, at my printing company
> 1) pfb/pfa : "good" fonts  (&  not "easy"  to install in luatex )
> 2) otf : "good" fonts  (& "easy" to install )
> 3) ttf : "bad" fonts  (& "easy " to install )
>
> Of course it's not exactly true (but maybe on average):
> a mental habitat, I must admit it, based on experience.
> Also, an helvetica like typeface is a must.

In the old times some PS Level2 RIPs couldn't handle Truetype fonts.
And most bad fonts are Truetype.
But in fact the format tells nothing about quality or printability.

OpenType fonts can contain Truetype-based outlines as well as
PostScript-based (quadratic vs. cubic curves). Usually .otf files
contain PostScript-based outlines, while .ttf can mean "old" Truetype
as well as TrueType-based OpenType. I.e. the TrueType format can
encode its slots in Unicode (obligatory for OpenType) or in any other
encoding.

>>  I have just uploaded a new version to the garden.
> good. Greek is really difficult for me
Yes, it's Greek to everyone ;-)