* Wiki New Extension: ConTeXtXML
@ 2020-08-20 12:04 Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-08-20 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

As announced last week, I have been working on a wiki extension to control the editing of /Command pages. That extension is now installed on the main wiki.

In short, we will switch to XML as the page model for newly created /Command pages. This makes editing a bit harder, but it allows much better quality control and (fairly) easy export and import.

The goal is to eventually be able to easily export all of the reference documentation in the wiki to a separate system (for instance, Paul Mazaitis plans to create a full-blown reference manual). In the current situation, this is nearly impossible because there is so much variation in the content and quality of the wiki /Command pages (not to mention that many are missing). We also want it to be possible to merge improvements to the interface xml definitions by Wolfgang without loosing any existing documentation work.

The documentation pages are here:

   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command
   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Help:Command
   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Extension:ConTeXtXML

After reading those, have a look at the three ‘work pages’:

   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Document_level_commands_work_page
   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Style_level_commands_work_page
   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/System_level_commands_work_page

All the bright red links are currently undocumented commands. Clicking on one should bring you to the edit screen automatically, with a blob of XML preloaded, ready for you to start writing.

All the dark red links are existing /Command pages. All of those are traditional wiki text pages. Following those links will bring you to a normal /Command page just like on the main wiki. If you want to see how one of those pages would look like in the new system, you’ll have to rename the existing page first (as explained in https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command#Pre-existing_pages )

If you do some work, please update those work pages!

Comments, suggestions and bug reports are more than welcome.

Please direct those to me personally or (better) to the wiki mailing list:

Have fun!

Taco

* Re: Wiki New Extension: ConTeXtXML
@ 2020-08-27 16:47 ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 2020-08-27 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi again,

Just now, I installed and update of the extension that replaces the default edit form  for Command pages by a dedicated form. This should make editing a lot easier, since there is no longer any visible XML code to confuse you.

Best wishes,
Taco

> On 20 Aug 2020, at 14:04, Taco Hoekwater <taco@elvenkind.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As announced last week, I have been working on a wiki extension to control the editing of /Command pages. That extension is now installed on the main wiki.
>
> In short, we will switch to XML as the page model for newly created /Command pages. This makes editing a bit harder, but it allows much better quality control and (fairly) easy export and import.
>
> The goal is to eventually be able to easily export all of the reference documentation in the wiki to a separate system (for instance, Paul Mazaitis plans to create a full-blown reference manual). In the current situation, this is nearly impossible because there is so much variation in the content and quality of the wiki /Command pages (not to mention that many are missing). We also want it to be possible to merge improvements to the interface xml definitions by Wolfgang without loosing any existing documentation work.
>
> The documentation pages are here:
>
>   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command
>   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Help:Command
>   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Extension:ConTeXtXML
>
> After reading those, have a look at the three ‘work pages’:
>
>   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Document_level_commands_work_page
>   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Style_level_commands_work_page
>   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/System_level_commands_work_page
>
> All the bright red links are currently undocumented commands. Clicking on one should bring you to the edit screen automatically, with a blob of XML preloaded, ready for you to start writing.
>
> All the dark red links are existing /Command pages. All of those are traditional wiki text pages. Following those links will bring you to a normal /Command page just like on the main wiki. If you want to see how one of those pages would look like in the new system, you’ll have to rename the existing page first (as explained in https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Command#Pre-existing_pages )
>
> If you do some work, please update those work pages!
>

> Comments, suggestions and bug reports are more than welcome.
>
> Please direct those to me personally or (better) to the wiki mailing list:

> Have fun!
>
> Taco

Taco Hoekwater
Elvenkind BV