* Lettrine, \sc, and a font without proper small capitals (Modified by Gerben Wierda)
@ 2005-03-18 14:24 Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-18 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

When I use the Optima font I do not have real small capitals. It seems
\sc does not try to emulate them and also the new \lettrine ignores it.

Is there a way I can still have my SC? Maybe faked by using a smaller
size capitals?

Thanks,

* Re: Lettrine, \sc, and a font without proper small capitals (Modified by Gerben Wierda)
@ 2005-03-18 14:43 ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-03-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Gerben,

On 18 Mar 2005, at 14:24, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> When I use the Optima font I do not have real small capitals. It seems
> \sc does not try to emulate them and also the new \lettrine ignores
> it.

You could emulate them with the \kap command. (and its relatives)
I'm not sure what a blown up lettrine of an artificially shrunk glyph
will get you, though.

With a Type1 font, I would point you to the texfont --caps=0.8 option,
but last I checked, pdfTeX didn't handle font scaling/extension. I'd be
eager to know if this was fixed in the latest revisions to pdftex.

> Is there a way I can still have my SC? Maybe faked by using a smaller
> size capitals?

Faking, whether within ConTeXt or within your driver, seems to be the
only option: Small Caps were never designed for Optima, afaik.

adam

* RE: Lettrine, \sc, and a font without proper small capitals (Modified by Gerben Wierda)
@ 2005-03-18 15:30   ` Ulrich Dirr
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Ulrich Dirr @ 2005-03-18 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Adam Lindsay wrote:
> Faking, whether within ConTeXt or within your driver, seems to be the
> only option: Small Caps were never designed for Optima, afaik.

But it's in Optima Nova
http://www.linotype.com/58171/optimanovacdformacandpc-compilation.html?PHPS
ESSID=b120c89ddacf24bf95bb7499629b6e70

Best regards,
Ulrich Dirr

* Re: Lettrine, \sc, and a font without proper small capitals (Modified by Gerben Wierda)
@ 2005-03-18 15:43     ` Adam Lindsay
From: Adam Lindsay @ 2005-03-18 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Mar 2005, at 15:30, Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> Adam Lindsay wrote:
>> Faking, whether within ConTeXt or within your driver, seems to be the
>> only option: Small Caps were never designed for Optima, afaik.
>
> But it's in Optima Nova
> http://www.linotype.com/58171/optimanovacdformacandpc-
> compilation.html?PHPS
> ESSID=b120c89ddacf24bf95bb7499629b6e70

Many thanks. I suspected it was possible, but didn't find it in a quick
search.

adam

* Re: Lettrine, \sc, and a font without proper small capitals (Modified by Gerben Wierda)
@ 2005-03-18 16:46     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2005-03-18 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ulrich Dirr wrote:
> Adam Lindsay wrote:
>
>>Faking, whether within ConTeXt or within your driver, seems to be the
>>only option: Small Caps were never designed for Optima, afaik.
>

> But it's in Optima Nova
> http://www.linotype.com/58171/optimanovacdformacandpc-compilation.html?PHPS
> ESSID=b120c89ddacf24bf95bb7499629b6e70

ah interesting ... so there are more variants now; i only have the regular and
italic (probably a pre-release then since the rest is in optima classic)

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2005-03-18 21:31     ` Gerben Wierda
From: Gerben Wierda @ 2005-03-18 21:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18 Mar 2005, at 16:30, Ulrich Dirr wrote:

> Adam Lindsay wrote:
>> Faking, whether within ConTeXt or within your driver, seems to be the
>> only option: Small Caps were never designed for Optima, afaik.
>
> But it's in Optima Nova
> http://www.linotype.com/58171/optimanovacdformacandpc-
> compilation.html?PHPS
> ESSID=b120c89ddacf24bf95bb7499629b6e70

It is very beautiful, but for €1050 (and not this being my
profession)....