From: Rory Molinari <context@quokka70.fastmail.fm>
To: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Adding custom key/value pairs
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 12:44:16 -0700	[thread overview]

Hi,

I'm new to ConTeXt and decided to teach myself a bit by resetting my
old thesis (originally done, many years ago, in LaTeX).  As the purpose
is to teach myself ConTeXt rather than just have an electronic version
of the thesis I decided to try to do things the "right" way.

So, in setting the title page I followed the pattern shown on
Contextgarden here: http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Document_Titles.
That page shows how to define a nice \placetitle command with an
associated \setuptitle which allows us to define values for title,
subject, and date.  However, I want also to be able to define values
for degree, subject, and committee (to follow the school-standard LaTeX
style file I had from all those years ago).  I can't work out how to do
this.

Simply using a variable like \c!degree (to match the \c!title I found
in the example) doesn't work, as ConTeXt doesn't know about such a
control sequence.  I was quite puzzled for a while but then it dawned
on me that the example I found on contextgarden works because the keys
it uses (for key/value pairs) are ones that are already defined in the
ConTeXt system: title, subject, date.  My attempt fails because the
system doesn't know about degree, subject, and committee.

I tried defining a new variable with startvariables, but that didn't
appear to help.

So, my question: what do I need to do to define a new key that can be
used in a key/value pair?

Here's an example of what I tried:

\startvariables all
   degree: degree
\stopvariables

\definesystemvariable{tp}  % title page

\def\setuptitlepage{\dodoubleempty\dosetuptitlepage}

\def\dosetuptitlepage[#1][#2]%
   {\ifsecondargument
      \dodosetuptitlepage[#1][#2]%
    \else
      \dodosetuptitlepage[\v!content][#1]%
    \fi}

\def\dodosetuptitlepage[#1][#2]%
   {\def\dododosetuptitlepage##1%
      {\getparameters[\??tp##1][#2]}%
    \processcommalist[#1]\dododosetuptitlepage}

\def\placetitlepage
   {\startalignment[\v!middle]
     \doattributes{\??tp\c!degree}\c!style\c!color\@@tpcontentdegree
     \stopalignment}