* French punctuation again...
@ 2008-11-15 23:50 Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-11-15 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all!

The \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] stuff I saw discussed
recently on this list does not work. Is it because I still use
MKII+Xetex? I get the usual error when there is an unknown command:

! Undefined control sequence.
l.6 \setcharacterspacing
                        [frenchpunctuation]
?

I use the minimals and updated just a couple of minutes ago to be sure:

ConTeXt  ver: 2008.11.10 21:40 MKII  fmt: 2008.11.15  int: english/english

Now, the real problem is that the following old hacks don't work anymore:

\def\activateSomeCharacters{%

\defineactivecharacter ! {\,\string!}%

\defineactivecharacter ? {\,\string?}%

\defineactivecharacter : {\,\string:}%

\defineactivecharacter ; {\,\string;}}

\activateSomeCharacters

\appendtoks\activateSomeCharacters\to\everystarttext

They were sufficient for me. The error I get is when I define my body font:

! Missing \endcsname inserted.
<to be read again>
                   \kern
\textormathspace ...fmmode \mskip #1#2\else \kern
                                                  #1\hspaceamount \empty {#3...

\@@fontfile ->name\textormathspace +\thinmuskip 1
                                                 :Nimbus Sans L
\dogetglobalfontparameter ...me \??ff \@@fontfile
                                                  #1\endcsname {#2}\expandaf...

\getglobalfontparameters ...arameter \@@fontdata ,
                                                  ]=,
\dodefinefontsynonym ... \getglobalfontparameters
                                                  \fi \ifcsname \??ff \@@fon...
l.128 \setupbodyfont
                    [bodytext,12pt,rm]
?

I can't make sense of any of this, especially because I call for the
serif font while the Nimbus is my sans-serif.

Everything works perfectly if I just remove the character hacks above.

Can anyone help? Did I provide enough information?

Thanks!
Jeff

* Re: French punctuation again...
@ 2008-11-16 10:30 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-16 10:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Smith wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> The \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] stuff I saw discussed
> recently on this list does not work. Is it because I still use
> MKII+Xetex? I get the usual error when there is an unknown command:
>
> ! Undefined control sequence.
> l.6 \setcharacterspacing

indeed, only mkiv

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                              | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: French punctuation again...
@ 2008-11-16 15:40   ` Jeff Smith
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-11-16 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 05:30, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
> Jeff Smith wrote:
>> Hi all!
>>
>> The \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] stuff I saw discussed
>> recently on this list does not work. Is it because I still use
>> MKII+Xetex? I get the usual error when there is an unknown command:
>>
>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>> l.6 \setcharacterspacing
>
> indeed, only mkiv

Ok, thought as much. So, what do I do? Is there a way to update/adapt
the older hacks that don't work anymore? While I follow the
developments of luatex with interest, I'm not interested in switching
yet if I can help it.

@ 2008-11-16 15:50     ` Wolfgang Schuster
From: Wolfgang Schuster @ 2008-11-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 16.11.2008 um 16:40 schrieb Jeff Smith:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 05:30, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Jeff Smith wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> The \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] stuff I saw discussed
>>> recently on this list does not work. Is it because I still use
>>> MKII+Xetex? I get the usual error when there is an unknown command:
>>>
>>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>>> l.6 \setcharacterspacing
>>
>> indeed, only mkiv
>
> Ok, thought as much. So, what do I do? Is there a way to update/adapt
> the older hacks that don't work anymore? While I follow the
> developments of luatex with interest, I'm not interested in switching
> yet if I can help it.

Make a example.

Wolfgang

* Re: French punctuation again...
@ 2008-11-16 16:11     ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-11-16 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 16 2008, Jeff Smith wrote:

> Ok, thought as much. So, what do I do? Is there a way to update/adapt
> the older hacks that don't work anymore? While I follow the
> developments of luatex with interest, I'm not interested in switching
> yet if I can help it.

A small example that shows the problem would help.
Or just downgrade, you can keep different ConTeXt versions on the same
hard-disk in parallel.
Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: French punctuation again...
@ 2008-11-16 17:29       ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-11-16 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oh, alright, sorry, I thought that with the error messages given in my
first post it might have been enough. I'm really sorry...

I attach an example document with the minimum required.

There seems to an incompatibility betwen the first part:

\def\activateSomeCharacters{%
\defineactivecharacter ! {\,\string!}%
\defineactivecharacter ? {\,\string?}%
\defineactivecharacter : {\,\string:}%
\defineactivecharacter ; {\,\string;}}
\activateSomeCharacters
\appendtoks\activateSomeCharacters\to\everystarttext

... and my typescript definition.

The problem I see here is that you guys may or may not have the font I
used (Garamond Pro).

Anyway, what I can say is that in a simple document with no typescript
definition, activeSomeCharacters work. But as it is in my sample
document, it does not. I will paste again the relevant part in the
log:

                                                  #1\hspaceamount \empty {#3...
<argument> name\textormathspace +\thinmuskip 1
                                              :Garamond Premier Pro
\dodotruefontname ...\ifcsname \??ff \fontclass #1
                                                  \endcsname \@EA \redotruef...

\dotruefontname ... \??ff \fontclass #1\endcsname
                                                  *#2#3\fi \else \ifcsname \...

\dotruefontname ... \??ff \fontclass #1\endcsname
                                                  \else \@EA \redotruefontna...
l.35 \setupbodyfont[bodytext,12pt,rm]

?

Thanks for any help!
Jeff

[-- Attachment #2: testfr.tex --]

* Re: French punctuation again...
@ 2008-11-16 19:26         ` Peter Münster
From: Peter Münster @ 2008-11-16 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Nov 16 2008, Jeff Smith wrote:

> The problem I see here is that you guys may or may not have the font I
> used (Garamond Pro).

Indeed, I get errors about "Metric (TFM) file not found".

> \activateSomeCharacters
> \appendtoks\activateSomeCharacters\to\everystarttext

Put these 2 lines (only the first one is needed here, the second is for
environment, module or project files, etc.) after your typescripts,
just before the \starttext (or even after).
Then it should work, I suppose.

>  \definefontsynonym [GaramondPro-Regular]    [name:Garamond Premier Pro]
> [...]
>  \setups[font:fallback:serif]

These lines use the colon (:) sign, and that is active now, since you've
called \activateSomeCharacters before. That's the reason for your problem,
I suppose.

Cheers, Peter

--
http://pmrb.free.fr/contact/

* Re: French punctuation again...
@ 2008-11-16 20:05     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2008-11-16 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jeff Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 05:30, Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> wrote:
>> Jeff Smith wrote:
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> The \setcharacterspacing[frenchpunctuation] stuff I saw discussed
>>> recently on this list does not work. Is it because I still use
>>> MKII+Xetex? I get the usual error when there is an unknown command:
>>>
>>> ! Undefined control sequence.
>>> l.6 \setcharacterspacing
>> indeed, only mkiv
>
> Ok, thought as much. So, what do I do? Is there a way to update/adapt
> the older hacks that don't work anymore? While I follow the
> developments of luatex with interest, I'm not interested in switching
> yet if I can help it.

\useencoding[ffr]

best not mess around with active colons in an other way since there are
precausions takne for this kind of hackery all over context (you don't
want to know where active colons can play havoc)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

@ 2008-11-17 17:02       ` Jeff Smith
From: Jeff Smith @ 2008-11-17 17:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ah. I now understand the subtlety of "active" characters. Both
solutions worked, but also  broke elsewhere first: with every colon in
my reference keys for the \cite command with BibTeX. I guess I
shouldn't do that, so I changed my keys and now everything runs
perfect.

Thanks a lot!
Jeff