* /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-10 23:58 Carlos via ntg-context
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-10 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

I'm just following some of the standalone installation instructions
as per the wiki alongside  a TeX Live installation,  but there are a
few things that don't add up or I can't seem to add them up :).

first, while I was trying to mtxrun --generate it returned

/usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory

So I thought heck, perhaps by creating a symbolic link we'll call it
a day, but that wasn't enough, nope.

This is is circa 21st century ladies and gentlemen!

so I thought, alright, since there seems ot be a a problem with texlua,
let's also add it to path somehow.

So with that out of the way, we'll move on to the next step and change
to a directory and try to call out mtxrun --generate again

It returns:

mtxrun --generate resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC'
set to '/home/ce/context/bin' resolvers       | resolving | variable
'SELFAUTODIR' set to '/home/ce/context' resolvers       | resolving
| variable 'SELFAUTOPARENT' set to '/home/ce' resolvers       |
resolving | variable 'TEXMFCNF' set to '' resolvers       |
resolving | variable 'TEXMF' set to '' resolvers       | resolving
| variable 'TEXOS' set to 'context' resolvers       | resolving
| resolvers       | resolving | using configuration specification
'home:texmf/web2c;{selfautoloc:,selfautoloc:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoloc:/share/texmf-dist/web2c,selfautoloc:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautoloc:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoloc:/texmf-dist/web2c,selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c,selfautodir:,selfautodir:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautodir:/share/texmf-dist/web2c,selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautodir:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautodir:/texmf-dist/web2c,selfautodir:/texmf/web2c,$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:,selfautoparent:/share/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:/share/texmf-dist/web2c,selfautoparent:/share/texmf/web2c,selfautoparent:/texmf-local/web2c,selfautoparent:/texmf-dist/web2c,selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c}'
resolvers       | resolving | resolvers       | resolving | looking
for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path '/home/ce/texmf/web2c'
from specification 'home:texmf/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on weird path
'/home/ce/context/bin' from specification 'selfautoloc:'
resolvers       | resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua'
on given path '/home/ce/context/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c'
from specification 'selfautoloc:/share/texmf-local/web2c'
resolvers       | resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua'
on given path '/home/ce/context/bin/share/texmf-dist/web2c'
from specification 'selfautoloc:/share/texmf-dist/web2c'
resolvers       | resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua'
on given path '/home/ce/context/bin/share/texmf/web2c' from
specification 'selfautoloc:/share/texmf/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/context/bin/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving | looking
for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on weird path '/home/ce/context'
from specification 'selfautodir:' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/context/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       | resolving | looking
for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path '/home/ce/context/texmf/web2c'
from specification 'selfautodir:/texmf/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path
'$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on weird path
'/home/ce' from specification 'selfautoparent:' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/share/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/share/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/share/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/share/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/share/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/share/texmf/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on
given path '/home/ce/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       | resolving |
looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua' on given path '/home/ce/texmf/web2c'
from specification 'selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/texmf/web2c' from specification 'home:texmf/web2c'
resolvers       | resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua'
on weird path '/home/ce/context/bin' from specification 'selfautoloc:'
resolvers       | resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua'
on given path '/home/ce/context/bin/share/texmf-local/web2c' from
specification 'selfautoloc:/share/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers
| resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/share/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/share/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       | resolving |
looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/share/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/share/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving | looking
for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on weird path '/home/ce/context'
from specification 'selfautodir:' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/context/share/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/context/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on weird path
[...]
'/home/ce/texmf/web2c' from specification 'selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c'
resolvers       | resolving | resolvers       | resolving | warning:
no lua configuration files found resolvers       | resolving | no
texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF) resolvers       | resolving |
mtxrun          | mtxrun          | elapsed lua time: 0.038 seconds

But this is the catch. I don't have texmfcnf.lua anymore . Not on
the TeX Live installation anyway if that might've ever materialize
as a question

If I were to invoke an mtxrun --script cache --erase

it follows it would return something as

 mtxrun --script cache --erase
mtxrun          | forcing cache reload resolvers       |
> [...]
'selfautoloc:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/bin/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving | looking
for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on weird path '/home/ce/context'
from specification 'selfautodir:' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       | resolving |
looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/share/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/share/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/context/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/context/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautodir:/texmf/web2c' resolvers       | resolving
| looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'$SELFAUTOGRANDPARENT/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on weird path
'/home/ce' from specification 'selfautoparent:' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/share/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/share/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/share/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/share/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/share/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/share/texmf/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given
path '/home/ce/texmf-local/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/texmf-local/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on
given path '/home/ce/texmf-dist/web2c' from specification
'selfautoparent:/texmf-dist/web2c' resolvers       |
resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on given path
'/home/ce/texmf/web2c' from specification 'selfautoparent:/texmf/web2c'
resolvers       | resolving | resolvers       | resolving | warning:
no lua configuration files found resolvers       | resolving | no
texmf paths are defined (using TEXMF) resolvers       | resolving |
mtxrun          | the resolver databases are not present or outdated
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'scripts'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-cache.lua' using
hash 'lua::mtx-cache.lua' resolvers       | resolving | using suffix
based filetype 'scripts' resolvers       | resolving | remembering file
'mtx-caches.lua' using hash 'lua::mtx-caches.lua' resolvers       |
resolving | remembered file 'mtx-cache.lua' resolvers       | resolving
| using suffix based filetype 'scripts' resolvers       | resolving |
remembering file 'mtx-t-cache.lua' using hash 'lua::mtx-t-cache.lua'
resolvers       | resolving | using suffix based filetype 'scripts'
resolvers       | resolving | remembering file 'mtx-t-caches.lua'
using hash 'lua::mtx-t-caches.lua' resolvers       | resolving |
remembered file 'mtx-t-cache.lua' resolvers       | resolving |
using suffix based filetype 'scripts' resolvers       | resolving
| remembering file 'cache.lua' using hash 'lua::cache.lua' mtxrun
| unknown script 'cache.lua' or 'mtx-cache.lua'

Of course and going solely by the above the part whenever it says
resolvers       | resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua'
on given path '/home/ce/context/bin/texmf/web2c' from specification
'selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c'

wont' find it anywhere because that dir does not exist.

But remember that earlier, adding bin to path was necessary to avoid
/usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory message

But even now while trying to find plain.tex I've come to the conclusion
that it needs it or else fails altogether

The problem is that I don't have plain.tex though.

As a matter of fact the TeX Live installation I currently have,
plain tex is nowhere to be seen, heck, not even latex but only a
handful set of fmtutil fmtuitl-sys mktexfmt and updmap updmap-sys
and the whole remainder of kpathsea but then again this in practice
would not even be needed if at all.

In other words, only the TeX Live infrastructure needed which shouldn't
be a problem, right?

But itis: a problem that is.

Besides. The reason I mentioned it is only to serve reference material
, but that's it.

to recap, mtxrun looks for a texmfcnf.lua (which I don't have) and
also for a plain.tex which I don't have either, and also presumably
for a contextcnf.lua (which I have) but the script concept is not so
smart, and finishes off with a final note that says warning: no lua
configuration files found. No shit Sherlock!

Of course it can't find it, because it doesn't exist,

resolvers       | resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on
given path '/home/ce/texmf/web2c' from specification 'home:texmf/web2c'

But at this point and without sugar coating it, the standalone
installation of context proves to be a chore more problematic than
waiting to install over 5gb of TeX Live alone.

The only thing that the installation instructions got right from
the start was the part about running the script with all modules.

I'll probably… and eventually will try to install the whole TeX
Live. But going solely by what the current TeX Live on my machine
looks like, , with just the infrastcucture, while anything mtx was
dropped like a hot potato really, it's a predicament...

-- Systems programmers are the high priests of a low cult.
		-- R.S. Barton

-- Real computer scientists don't write code.  They occasionally
tinker with `programming systems', but those are so high level that
they hardly count (and rarely count accurately; precision is for
applications).

-- FORTRAN is not a flower but a weed -- it is hardy, occasionally
blooms, and grows in every computer.
		-- A.J. Perlis

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  0:51 ` Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context
                     ` (3 more replies)
From: Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos via ntg-context; +Cc: Aditya Mahajan

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> I'm just following some of the standalone installation instructions
> as per the wiki alongside  a TeX Live installation,  but there are a
> few things that don't add up or I can't seem to add them up :).
>
> first, while I was trying to mtxrun --generate it returned
>
> /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory
>
> So I thought heck, perhaps by creating a symbolic link we'll call it
> a day, but that wasn't enough, nope.
>
> This is is circa 21st century ladies and gentlemen!
>
> so I thought, alright, since there seems ot be a a problem with texlua,
> let's also add it to path somehow.

Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.

> So with that out of the way, we'll move on to the next step and change
> to a directory and try to call out mtxrun --generate again
>
> It returns:
>
> mtxrun --generate resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC'
> set to '/home/ce/context/bin' resolvers       | resolving | variable

This appears to be the wrong mtxrun binary. You should include the PATH variable listed as part of the installation. It should point to `/home/ce/context/texmf-linux-64/bin` or something similar.

Aditya

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  1:47   ` Carlos via ntg-context
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  1:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 08:51:58PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > I'm just following some of the standalone installation instructions
> > as per the wiki alongside  a TeX Live installation,  but there are a
> > few things that don't add up or I can't seem to add them up :).
> >
> > first, while I was trying to mtxrun --generate it returned
> >
> > /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory
> >
> > So I thought heck, perhaps by creating a symbolic link we'll call it
> > a day, but that wasn't enough, nope.
> >
> > This is is circa 21st century ladies and gentlemen!
> >
> > so I thought, alright, since there seems ot be a a problem with texlua,
> > let's also add it to path somehow.
>
> Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.

Of course I sourced it and complains about plain.tex

> > So with that out of the way, we'll move on to the next step and change
> > to a directory and try to call out mtxrun --generate again
> >
> > It returns:
> >
> > mtxrun --generate resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC'
> > set to '/home/ce/context/bin' resolvers       | resolving | variable
>
> This appears to be the wrong mtxrun binary. You should include the PATH variable listed as part of the installation. It should point to `/home/ce/context/texmf-linux-64/bin` or something similar.

binaries.

Let's start over for the simple reason that texmfcnf.lua does not exist.

Not through a TeX Live infrastructure only installation anyway.

let's run ./install --modules=all and it rightly reports that

mtx-update      | updating mtxrun for linux-64: rsync -tgo --chmod=a+x
'/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua'
'/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun'
mtx-update      | run, rsync -tgo --chmod=a+x '/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-context/scripts/context/lua/mtxrun.lua'
'/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin/mtxrun'
rsync: [Receiver] change_dir#3 "/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin" failed: No such file or directory (2)
rsync error: errors selecting input/output files, dirs (code 3) at main.c(827) [Receiver=3.2.7]
resolvers       | tds | no 'texmf-linux-64' under tree '/home/ce/context-install/tex'

Now. Let's add the directories, correct?

If you were to look at the following

[...]
'/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin' from specification 'selfautoloc:'

you'd notice that is looking over and over for a texmfcnf.lua

But where is my texmfcnf.lua? Would you know? :) Because I don't. The
only instance of a texmfcnf.lua dates back to a prepackaged
installation that is no longer there anyway

it points to a prepackaged texlive which I'm not using and not planning
to.

and what I have under TEXMFHOME which doesn't amount to much anyway , or what's
important for the current issue is

amiga-pl.tcx  cp8bit.tcx       il2-t1.tcx    mktex.opt     tcvn-t5.tcx
cp1250cs.tcx  empty.tcx        kam-cs.tcx    mktexdir      texmf.cnf
cp1250pl.tcx  fmtutil-hdr.cnf  kam-t1.tcx    mktexdir.opt  updmap-hdr.cfg
cp1250t1.tcx  fmtutil.cnf      macce-pl.tcx  mktexnam      updmap.cfg
cp227.tcx     il1-t1.tcx       macce-t1.tcx  mktexnam.opt  viscii-t5.tcx
cp852-cs.tcx  il2-cs.tcx       maz-pl.tcx    mktexupd
cp852-pl.tcx  il2-pl.tcx       mktex.cnf     natural.tcx

which as you fully know, it doesn't help

What is TeX Live infrastructure doing is the question

It's besides the point to call out ./tlmgr install context here because
 mtx is no longer there anyway

for what's worth

Welcome to TeX Live!

See ../texlive/2023/index.html for links to documentation.
The TeX Live web site (https://tug.org/texlive/) contains any updates and corrections. TeX Live is a joint project of the TeX user groups around the world; please consider supporting it by joining the group best for you. The list of groups is available on the web at https://tug.org/usergroups.html.

Add ../texlive/2023/texmf-dist/doc/man to MANPATH.
Add ../texlive/2023/texmf-dist/doc/info to INFOPATH.
Most importantly, add ../texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux
to your PATH for current and future sessions.
Logfile: ../texlive/2023/install-tl.log

> Aditya

[It is] best to confuse only one issue at a time.
		-- K&R

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  2:36   ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 08:51:58PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > I'm just following some of the standalone installation instructions
> > as per the wiki alongside  a TeX Live installation,  but there are a
> > few things that don't add up or I can't seem to add them up :).
> >
> > first, while I was trying to mtxrun --generate it returned
> >
> > /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory
> >
> > So I thought heck, perhaps by creating a symbolic link we'll call it
> > a day, but that wasn't enough, nope.
> >
> > This is is circa 21st century ladies and gentlemen!
> >
> > so I thought, alright, since there seems ot be a a problem with texlua,
> > let's also add it to path somehow.
>
> Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.
>
> > So with that out of the way, we'll move on to the next step and change
> > to a directory and try to call out mtxrun --generate again
> >
> > It returns:
> >
> > mtxrun --generate resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC'
> > set to '/home/ce/context/bin' resolvers       | resolving | variable
>
> This appears to be the wrong mtxrun binary. You should include the PATH variable listed as part of the installation. It should point to `/home/ce/context/texmf-linux-64/bin` or something similar.
>
> Aditya

Is there any rationale not to have texmfcnf.lua alongside context.cnf
and contextcnf.lua under web2c with the current standalone
installation?

Because on TeX Live infrastructure alone, I have my doubts that that file
will be somehow generated magically. would it?

Of course I could probably scrounge it off somewhere but it's also
besides the point

On the current installation of a standalone relying solely on what
tewmf/webc holds is… well.

Time sharing: The use of many people by the computer.

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  3:54   ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 08:51:58PM -0400, Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2023, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > I'm just following some of the standalone installation instructions
> > as per the wiki alongside  a TeX Live installation,  but there are a
> > few things that don't add up or I can't seem to add them up :).
> >
> > first, while I was trying to mtxrun --generate it returned
> >
> > /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory
> >
> > So I thought heck, perhaps by creating a symbolic link we'll call it
> > a day, but that wasn't enough, nope.
> >
> > This is is circa 21st century ladies and gentlemen!
> >
> > so I thought, alright, since there seems ot be a a problem with texlua,
> > let's also add it to path somehow.
>
> Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.
>
> > So with that out of the way, we'll move on to the next step and change
> > to a directory and try to call out mtxrun --generate again
> >
> > It returns:
> >
> > mtxrun --generate resolvers       | resolving | variable 'SELFAUTOLOC'
> > set to '/home/ce/context/bin' resolvers       | resolving | variable
>
> This appears to be the wrong mtxrun binary. You should include the PATH variable listed as part of the installation. It should point to `/home/ce/context/texmf-linux-64/bin` or something similar.

with texmfcnf.lua and the contextbinary from just hte TeX Live infrastructure
there is an interesting conflict with the same ol' same ol'

anyhow

[2/2, 00:02/02:56] install: context [92021k]
running mktexlsr ...
done running mktexlsr.
running mtxrun --generate ...
done running mtxrun --generate.
running context --luatex --generate ...
done running context --luatex --generate.
running updmap-sys ...
done running updmap-sys.

then

context <file>

mtxrun          | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'

context --luatex --generate

mtxrun          | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'

same as with

context --generate

mtxrun          | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'

so it's an either or. texmfcnf.lua in place mtxrun would definitely
go through but breaks context calls, while without it, a context call
is just ostracized to a

context --generate --luatex
mtx-context     | redirect luametatex -> luatex: luatex --luaonly "/opt/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux/mtxrun.lua" --generate --redirected

but that's not what I had in mind.

mtxrun --script cache --erase

mtxrun          | unknown script 'cache.lua' or 'mtx-cache.lua'

--
Real Programmers think better when playing Adventure or Rogue.

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2023-04-11  4:01   ` Alan Braslau via ntg-context
From: Alan Braslau via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Alan Braslau

On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 20:51:58 -0400 (EDT)
Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:

> Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.

My PATH is set to
PATH=./context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:/home/MyAccount/context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:...

If my current working directory ("./") is a project that contains its
very own subdirectory ./context/, then this is used to typeset the
project. If not, it falls back on my own general standalone
$HOME/context/, and if that does not exist, then it falls back on, say,
a systemwide TeXlive installation.

This is all that is needed to have many versions coexist.

Alan

P.S. It can be a good practice to keep a ConTeXt standalone version
associated with each project, which can be "frozen" with the project,
assuring that the sources can always be typeset in the future "as is".

P.P.S. This per-project ./context/ subdirectory can include multiple
tex/texmf-system-architecture subdirectories and the project shared
between different machines, all in happy coexistence. (Hans told me a
while ago that they all use unique luametatex caches.)

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  5:01 ` Max Chernoff via ntg-context
From: Max Chernoff via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  5:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context, linguafalsa; +Cc: Max Chernoff

Hi Carlos,

I think that you may be installing the old ConTeXt MkIV distribution
instead of the new ConTeXt LMTX. ConTeXt LMTX doesn't distribute
"texlua" at all, and running
"./install --modules=all" doesn't make sense with LMTX (since the
installer can't install modules).

From what link did you download your ConTeXt? If it started with
"minimals.contextgarden.net", then that's the old ConTeXt; if it started
with "lmtx.pragma-ade.com" then it's the new LMTX. The wiki page that
you want is

   https://wiki.contextgarden.net/Installation#Unix

All the other wiki pages are outdated.

This is just a wild guess, so I may be very wrong here.

If this doesn't work, then what do you get when you run

   type -ap context
   type -ap luatex
   type -ap texlua
   type -ap luametatex
   /full/path/to/texlive/2023/context --version
   /full/path/to/context/standalone/context --version
   ls -la /full/path/to/texlive/2023/context
   ls -la /full/path/to/context/standalone/context

(I'll also add that I have both the ConTeXt and TeX Live versions of
"context" installed on Linux, so it's definitely possible.)

Thanks,
-- Max

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  7:26 ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/11/2023 1:58 AM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
> I'm just following some of the standalone installation instructions
> as per the wiki alongside  a TeX Live installation,  but there are a
> few things that don't add up or I can't seem to add them up :).
>
> first, while I was trying to mtxrun --generate it returned
>
> /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory
>
> So I thought heck, perhaps by creating a symbolic link we'll call it
> a day, but that wasn't enough, nope.

That # line will go away or change because per 2023 we assume that the
script is run by luametatex and we're in a sort of transition

> This is is circa 21st century ladies and gentlemen!

And tex survived more that 4 decades so ... it operates in an eco system
(tds, installations) ... todays fashion is not yesterdays and tomorrows

> so I thought, alright, since there seems ot be a a problem with texlua,
> let's also add it to path somehow.

i'm not sure what you installed but the stand alone installer installs
luametatex / luatex and therefore has

luametatex
mtxrun -> luametatex
context -> luametatex
mtxrun.lua
context.lua

in the same path (the links are stubs, not uncommon in the tex world
where they are also used to launch macro packages like latex)

it can't be more portable and simple than that, is efficient and works
ok unless one wants some different setup, and spend time on that

> So with that out of the way, we'll move on to the next step and change
> to a directory and try to call out mtxrun --generate again
>
> It returns:

> But this is the catch. I don't have texmfcnf.lua anymore . Not on
> the TeX Live installation anyway if that might've ever materialize
> as a question

maybe that was not copied? the fact that we need a configuration and
file database is also pretty much the way a tex installation works (with
allits resources)

> If I were to invoke an mtxrun --script cache --erase
> Of course and going solely by the above the part whenever it says
> resolvers       | resolving | looking for regular 'texmfcnf.lua'
> on given path '/home/ce/context/bin/texmf/web2c' from specification
> 'selfautoloc:/texmf/web2c'
>
> wont' find it anywhere because that dir does not exist.

should be there with the installer; if one just installs the 'zip' it
has to come from elsewhere (like texlive, where actually most lives in
texmf-dist) and one has to copy a configuration file to there

> But remember that earlier, adding bin to path was necessary to avoid
> /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory message
>
> But even now while trying to find plain.tex I've come to the conclusion
> that it needs it or else fails altogether
>
> The problem is that I don't have plain.tex though.
>
> As a matter of fact the TeX Live installation I currently have,
> plain tex is nowhere to be seen, heck, not even latex but only a
> handful set of fmtutil fmtuitl-sys mktexfmt and updmap updmap-sys
> and the whole remainder of kpathsea but then again this in practice
> would not even be needed if at all.

indeed, context doesn't rely on fmtutil etc

> In other words, only the TeX Live infrastructure needed which shouldn't
> be a problem, right?
>
> But itis: a problem that is.
>
> Besides. The reason I mentioned it is only to serve reference material
> , but that's it.
>
> to recap, mtxrun looks for a texmfcnf.lua (which I don't have) and
> also for a plain.tex which I don't have either, and also presumably
> for a contextcnf.lua (which I have) but the script concept is not so
> smart, and finishes off with a final note that says warning: no lua
> configuration files found. No shit Sherlock!
>
> Of course it can't find it, because it doesn't exist,
>
> resolvers       | resolving | looking for fallback 'contextcnf.lua' on
> given path '/home/ce/texmf/web2c' from specification 'home:texmf/web2c'
>
> But at this point and without sugar coating it, the standalone
> installation of context proves to be a chore more problematic than
> waiting to install over 5gb of TeX Live alone.

hm, worked for quite a while for users; and did you try oen from

https://www.pragma-ade.com/install.htm

> The only thing that the installation instructions got right from
> the start was the part about running the script with all modules.
>
> I'll probably… and eventually will try to install the whole TeX
> Live. But going solely by what the current TeX Live on my machine
> looks like, , with just the infrastcucture, while anything mtx was
> dropped like a hot potato really, it's a predicament...

not sure what you mean here .. mtxrun was not dropped, tl 2313 just
moved on to lmtx which is even less demanding (unless one starts moveing
files around in the tex infrastruture and then expects stuff to keep
working)

> -- Systems programmers are the high priests of a low cult.
> 		-- R.S. Barton

dunno, don't know any of them

> -- Real computer scientists don't write code.  They occasionally
> tinker with `programming systems', but those are so high level that
> they hardly count (and rarely count accurately; precision is for
> applications).

dunno, never meet computer scientists (only met DEK)

> -- FORTRAN is not a flower but a weed -- it is hardy, occasionally
> blooms, and grows in every computer.
> 		-- A.J. Perlis

could be, but that's true for all computer relates stuff that is looked
back at a decade later
  Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  9:11     ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 10:01:55PM -0600, Alan Braslau via ntg-context wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Apr 2023 20:51:58 -0400 (EDT)
> Aditya Mahajan via ntg-context <ntg-context@ntg.nl> wrote:
>
> > Did you source the `setuptex` script, which sets the correct path.
>
> My PATH is set to
> PATH=./context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:/home/MyAccount/context/tex/texmf-freebsd-amd64/bin:...
>
> If my current working directory ("./") is a project that contains its
> very own subdirectory ./context/, then this is used to typeset the
> project. If not, it falls back on my own general standalone
> $HOME/context/, and if that does not exist, then it falls back on, say,
> a systemwide TeXlive installation.
>
> This is all that is needed to have many versions coexist.
>
> Alan

Hello Alan, my PATH is set to:

PATH=/home/ce/context-install/bin:/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:/opt/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH; export PATH

because not by going by TeX Live infrastructure only, but rather
by standalone resolvers that's exactly what the additional steps to
install that very same  standalone required, a folder
texmf-linux-64/bin, which it's pretty much self-explanatory

And I already mentioned the above earlier

Again

Do we actually need to list all kpsea variable here ?? fine

Here are some of them, which are really irrelevant by the way, but just
adding info

$ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFROOT
/opt/texlive/2023
$ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFDIST
/opt/texlive/2023/texmf-dist
$ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
/opt/texlive/texmf-local

Now let's take a peek inside the TeX Live infrastructure-only,  shall
we? (just for additional info as TeX Live is ocnsidered one of the
many scripts out there, right?  One is interested in the standalone in
the end)

LICENSE.CTAN       bin         install-tl.log       texmf-config  texmfcnf.lua
LICENSE.TL         doc.html    readme-html.dir      texmf-dist    tlpkg
README             index.html  readme-txt.dir       texmf-var
README.usergroups  install-tl  release-texlive.txt  texmf.cnf

that texmfcnf.lua only holds

return {
  content = {
    variables = {
    },
  },
}

which is useless

so, no bueno. Not when the aim is to install a fully functional context
standalone

Now let's take a peek instide and see the binaries

afm2tfm      etex          kpsereadlink     mf        mtxrun.lua  texluac
bibtex       extractbb     kpsestat         mf-nowin  pdfetex     tlmgr
context      fmtutil       kpsewhich        mft       pdflatex    tlshell
context.lua  fmtutil-sys   latex            mkindex   pdftex      updmap
dvilualatex  fmtutil-user  luahbtex         mktexfmt  pktogf      updmap-sys
dviluatex    gftodvi       lualatex         mktexlsr  pktype      updmap-user
dvipdfm      gftopk        luametatex       mktexmf   rungs       xdvi
dvipdfmx     gftype        luaotfload-tool  mktexpk   simpdftex   xdvi-xaw
dvipdft      inimf         luatex           mktextfm  tex         xdvipdfmx
dvips        initex        makeindex        mptopdf   texhash
ebb          kpseaccess    man              mtxrun    texlua

Do you see that context and context.lua out there, right? That's
only after running tlmgr and installing it, so no bueno, because in
the meantime there's no texmfcnf.lua around

Then again, remember in the current state I actually don't have
texmfcnf.lua for the simple reason that first-setup.sh never provided
it, correct?

So, wwith that in mind and in place, even that context binary from TeX
Live infrastructure as shown before is a known fact that texmfcnf.lua
is nowhere to be found

So let me see if I can copy one from an otherwise fully functional TeX Live
with almost 5g of space taken over and copy it over to this TeX Live infrastrcutre so
everything checks out in the end

What happens then is not really surprising

If I were to copy over a copy that I found elsewhere over to web2c
of the TeX Live-infrastructure-only installation,  this is what happens:

$ context --generate --luatex
mtxrun          | unknown script 'mtx-context.lua' or 'mtx-mtx-context.lua'

Here we go! Back to point A where we were at before

> P.S. It can be a good practice to keep a ConTeXt standalone version
> associated with each project, which can be "frozen" with the project,
> assuring that the sources can always be typeset in the future "as is".
>
> P.P.S. This per-project ./context/ subdirectory can include multiple
> tex/texmf-system-architecture subdirectories and the project shared
> between different machines, all in happy coexistence. (Hans told me a
> while ago that they all use unique luametatex caches.)

If you put tomfoolery into a computer, nothing comes out but tomfoolery.
But this tomfoolery, having passed through a very expensive machine,
is somehow enobled and no-one dare criticise it.
		-- Pierre Gallois

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11  9:23       ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/11/2023 11:11 AM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> Hello Alan, my PATH is set to:
>
> PATH=/home/ce/context-install/bin:/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:/opt/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH; export PATH

what is that first path doing there

> Do we actually need to list all kpsea variable here ?? fine

doesn't hurt .. also because they can be set badly at the os level (you
really don't want to knwo when has be encountered in the 20th century)

> Here are some of them, which are really irrelevant by the way, but just
> adding info
>
> $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFROOT
> /opt/texlive/2023
> $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFDIST
> /opt/texlive/2023/texmf-dist
> $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
> /opt/texlive/texmf-local
>
> Now let's take a peek inside the TeX Live infrastructure-only,  shall
> we? (just for additional info as TeX Live is ocnsidered one of the
> many scripts out there, right?  One is interested in the standalone in
> the end)
>
> LICENSE.CTAN       bin         install-tl.log       texmf-config  texmfcnf.lua
> LICENSE.TL         doc.html    readme-html.dir      texmf-dist    tlpkg
> README             index.html  readme-txt.dir       texmf-var
> README.usergroups  install-tl  release-texlive.txt  texmf.cnf

that si texlive, not standalone

> that texmfcnf.lua only holds
>
> return {
>    content = {
>      variables = {
>      },
>    },
> }
>
> which is useless

and harmless (somethign old texlive)

> so, no bueno. Not when the aim is to install a fully functional context
> standalone
>
> Now let's take a peek instide and see the binaries
>
> afm2tfm      etex          kpsereadlink     mf        mtxrun.lua  texluac
> bibtex       extractbb     kpsestat         mf-nowin  pdfetex     tlmgr
> context      fmtutil       kpsewhich        mft       pdflatex    tlshell
> context.lua  fmtutil-sys   latex            mkindex   pdftex      updmap
> dvilualatex  fmtutil-user  luahbtex         mktexfmt  pktogf      updmap-sys
> dviluatex    gftodvi       lualatex         mktexlsr  pktype      updmap-user
> dvipdfm      gftopk        luametatex       mktexmf   rungs       xdvi
> dvipdfmx     gftype        luaotfload-tool  mktexpk   simpdftex   xdvi-xaw
> dvipdft      inimf         luatex           mktextfm  tex         xdvipdfmx
> dvips        initex        makeindex        mptopdf   texhash
> ebb          kpseaccess    man              mtxrun    texlua
>
> Do you see that context and context.lua out there, right? That's
> only after running tlmgr and installing it, so no bueno, because in
> the meantime there's no texmfcnf.lua around

comes from the tex live base package ... harmless, just takes bytes
(only luatex, luametatex, context, mtxrun, context.lua and mtxrun.lua
matter)

> Then again, remember in the current state I actually don't have
> texmfcnf.lua for the simple reason that first-setup.sh never provided
> it, correct?

aditya pointer that out (and it's one of the files that one doesn't want
to be overwritten anyway)

> Here we go! Back to point A where we were at before
as alan pointed out: just install with the lmtx installer in a path
separate from tex live, set the path and you're done; don't try to mix
texlive with a adapted of standalone, texlive has its own context
package and updates etc; keep them separated

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11 10:00         ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 11:23:45AM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 4/11/2023 11:11 AM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > Hello Alan, my PATH is set to:
> >
> > PATH=/home/ce/context-install/bin:/home/ce/context-install/tex/texmf-linux-64/bin:/opt/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux:$PATH; export PATH
>
> what is that first path doing there

okay. Let's remove it. The second one wouldn't hurt it I guess, right?
and it's needed.

> > Do we actually need to list all kpsea variable here ?? fine
>
> doesn't hurt .. also because they can be set badly at the os level (you
> really don't want to knwo when has be encountered in the 20th century)

:)

> > Here are some of them, which are really irrelevant by the way, but just
> > adding info
> >
> > $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFROOT
> > /opt/texlive/2023
> > $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFDIST
> > /opt/texlive/2023/texmf-dist
> > $ kpsewhich --var-value TEXMFLOCAL
> > /opt/texlive/texmf-local
> >
> > Now let's take a peek inside the TeX Live infrastructure-only,  shall
> > we? (just for additional info as TeX Live is ocnsidered one of the
> > many scripts out there, right?  One is interested in the standalone in
> > the end)
> >
> > LICENSE.CTAN       bin         install-tl.log       texmf-config  texmfcnf.lua
> > LICENSE.TL         doc.html    readme-html.dir      texmf-dist    tlpkg
> > README             index.html  readme-txt.dir       texmf-var
> > README.usergroups  install-tl  release-texlive.txt  texmf.cnf
>
> that si texlive, not standalone
>
> > that texmfcnf.lua only holds
> >
> > return {
> >    content = {
> >      variables = {
> >      },
> >    },
> > }
> >
> > which is useless
>
> and harmless (somethign old texlive)
>
> > so, no bueno. Not when the aim is to install a fully functional context
> > standalone
> >
> > Now let's take a peek instide and see the binaries
> >
> > afm2tfm      etex          kpsereadlink     mf        mtxrun.lua  texluac
> > bibtex       extractbb     kpsestat         mf-nowin  pdfetex     tlmgr
> > context      fmtutil       kpsewhich        mft       pdflatex    tlshell
> > context.lua  fmtutil-sys   latex            mkindex   pdftex      updmap
> > dvilualatex  fmtutil-user  luahbtex         mktexfmt  pktogf      updmap-sys
> > dviluatex    gftodvi       lualatex         mktexlsr  pktype      updmap-user
> > dvipdfm      gftopk        luametatex       mktexmf   rungs       xdvi
> > dvipdfmx     gftype        luaotfload-tool  mktexpk   simpdftex   xdvi-xaw
> > dvipdft      inimf         luatex           mktextfm  tex         xdvipdfmx
> > dvips        initex        makeindex        mptopdf   texhash
> > ebb          kpseaccess    man              mtxrun    texlua
> >
> > Do you see that context and context.lua out there, right? That's
> > only after running tlmgr and installing it, so no bueno, because in
> > the meantime there's no texmfcnf.lua around
>
> comes from the tex live base package ... harmless, just takes bytes (only
> luatex, luametatex, context, mtxrun, context.lua and mtxrun.lua matter)
>
> > Then again, remember in the current state I actually don't have
> > texmfcnf.lua for the simple reason that first-setup.sh never provided
> > it, correct?
>
> aditya pointer that out (and it's one of the files that one doesn't want to
> be overwritten anyway)

For clarification, Do you mean the file that consists of

-- the distributed file (.../texlive/YYYY/texmf-dist/web2c/texmfcnf.lua).
-- And include *only* your changed values, not a copy of the whole thing!

return {
  content = {
    variables = {
    },
  },
}

and belongs to TeX Live?

> > Here we go! Back to point A where we were at before
> as alan pointed out: just install with the lmtx installer in a path separate
> from tex live, set the path and you're done; don't try to mix texlive with a
> adapted of standalone, texlive has its own context package and updates etc;
> keep them separated

alright. That's fine. That's what I thought.

So copy over the mtxrun binary on texmf-linux-64/bin to context and call it a
day?

> Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

"We invented a new protocol and called it Kermit, after Kermit the Frog,
star of "The Muppet Show." [3]

[3]  Why?  Mostly because there was a Muppets calendar on the wall when we
were trying to think of a name, and Kermit is a pleasant, unassuming sort of
character.  But since we weren't sure whether it was OK to name our protocol
after this popular television and movie star, we pretended that KERMIT was an
acronym; unfortunately, we could never find a good set of words to go with the
letters, as readers of some of our early source code can attest.  Later, while
looking through a name book for his forthcoming baby, Bill Catchings noticed
that "Kermit" was a Celtic word for "free", which is what all Kermit programs
should be, and words to this effect replaced the strained acronyms in our
source code (Bill's baby turned out to be a girl, so he had to name her Becky
instead).  When BYTE Magazine was preparing our 1984 Kermit article for
publication, they suggested we contact Henson Associates Inc. for permission
to say that we did indeed name the protocol after Kermit the Frog.  Permission
was kindly granted, and now the real story can be told.  I resisted the
temptation, however, to call the present work "Kermit the Book."
		-- Frank da Cruz, "Kermit - A File Transfer Protocol"

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11 10:20           ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/11/2023 12:00 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> and belongs to TeX Live?

well, i suppose there is a non-empty copy in texlive but an empty one
can go indeed

>>> Here we go! Back to point A where we were at before
>> as alan pointed out: just install with the lmtx installer in a path separate
>> from tex live, set the path and you're done; don't try to mix texlive with a
>> adapted of standalone, texlive has its own context package and updates etc;
>> keep them separated
>
> alright. That's fine. That's what I thought.
>
> So copy over the mtxrun binary on texmf-linux-64/bin to context and call it a
> day?
as long as the five mentioned files are there (and best hand mtxrun,
context and luametatex the same so use links) ... luametatex is the
engine as well as stub runner (runs the luatex file in the same path
with the same name and suffix lua)

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11 12:59             ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 12:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 12:20:32PM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 4/11/2023 12:00 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > and belongs to TeX Live?
>
> well, i suppose there is a non-empty copy in texlive but an empty one can go
> indeed

> > > as alan pointed out: just install with the lmtx installer in a path separate
> > > from tex live, set the path and you're done; don't try to mix texlive with a
> > > adapted of standalone, texlive has its own context package and updates etc;
> > > keep them separated
> >
> > alright. That's fine. That's what I thought.
> >
> > So copy over the mtxrun binary on texmf-linux-64/bin to context and call it a
> > day?
> as long as the five mentioned files are there (and best hand mtxrun, context
> and luametatex the same so use links) ... luametatex is the engine as well
> as stub runner (runs the luatex file in the same path with the same name and
> suffix lua)

I was just going over path just to make sure that the TeX Live
infrastructure would not return anything from
/opt/texlive/2023/bin/x86_64-linux/ as it doing before

thank you for the clarification but where is luametatex  on the
standalone sources
>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Stinginess with privileges is kindness in disguise.
		-- Guide to VAX/VMS Security, Sep. 1984

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11 13:13             ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 12:20:32PM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 4/11/2023 12:00 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > and belongs to TeX Live?
>
> well, i suppose there is a non-empty copy in texlive but an empty one can go
> indeed

> > > as alan pointed out: just install with the lmtx installer in a path separate
> > > from tex live, set the path and you're done; don't try to mix texlive with a
> > > adapted of standalone, texlive has its own context package and updates etc;
> > > keep them separated
> >
> > alright. That's fine. That's what I thought.
> >
> > So copy over the mtxrun binary on texmf-linux-64/bin to context and call it a
> > day?
> as long as the five mentioned files are there (and best hand mtxrun, context
> and luametatex the same so use links) ... luametatex is the engine as well
> as stub runner (runs the luatex file in the same path with the same name and
> suffix lua)

thank you for the clarification. I was going over path to make sure that
anything under /opt/texlive/2022/bin/x86_64-linux/ returns no binaries from
there

But where is actually luametatex under the standalone sources

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

As soon as we started programming, we found to our surprise that it wasn't
as easy to get programs right as we had thought.  Debugging had to be
discovered.  I can remember the exact instant when I realized that a large
part of my life from then on was going to be spent in finding mistakes in
my own programs.
		-- Maurice Wilkes, designer of EDSAC, on programming, 1949

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-11 15:57               ` Hans Hagen via ntg-context
From: Hans Hagen via ntg-context @ 2023-04-11 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carlos via ntg-context; +Cc: Hans Hagen

On 4/11/2023 3:13 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:

> But where is actually luametatex under the standalone sources
just in the bin path

Hans

                                           Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: /usr/bin/env texlua no such file or directory; ~/context/tex is not a valid TEXROOT path; no file plain.tex
@ 2023-04-12  2:32                 ` Carlos via ntg-context
From: Carlos via ntg-context @ 2023-04-12  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context; +Cc: Carlos

On Tue, Apr 11, 2023 at 05:57:30PM +0200, Hans Hagen via ntg-context wrote:
> On 4/11/2023 3:13 PM, Carlos via ntg-context wrote:
>
> > But where is actually luametatex under the standalone sources
> just in the bin path

thanks Hans.

Didn't have the time to look at et . Looking at a small display on
this system and sort of like going blind .

Regarding old mkiv,  I didn't have the time to delve more into it,
but I think (couuld be wrong here) The script installation first-setup
for that old mkiv is not as straightforward as lmtx is, and to
top it off I had downloaded the modules only

With the former I had to manually create the dir temxf-linux-64
whereas with lmtx installation was smooth right after

that's why when I read the resolvers output I had pointed it out to
Aditya that it was looking over and over for that dir to no
avail (of course: the dir was never there; it was never created)

Path is always a problem as you know. On gnu/linux bash init file means
nothing, as most likely a profile file that supersedes it sets it up
regardless of sessions and how many times logging off and rebooting ,
but the problem woudlnt' stop there as long as texmf is there

I can probably venture out and say that even then, even then… it doesn't
 mean nothing while texmf is still there .

what is mtxrun --script cache going to erase let alone /generate
while texmf is in place? the chances are nil, nada, iteración infinita

It's not going to happen. and an unknown script context.lua mtx-context.lua
will certainly pop up all over again

only after moving/removing texmf it'd go through or else it won't .

then yes

context --luatex --generate
context --luatex --make
or
context --make

p.s

and all of the above over a lucida sans that was my own misconfiguration
that's hilarious :)

Hans. sorry but I just couldn't stop thinking about it. All over a sans
font. Seriously.

> Hans

>        tel: 038 477 53 69 | www.pragma-ade.nl | www.pragma-pod.nl

Blinding speed can compensate for a lot of deficiencies.
		-- David Nichols