* Installing the Update
@ 1999-08-23 19:02 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 1999-08-23 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: pragma

All,

This is a record of my attempt to install the latest version of Context
with Miktex 1.20c. I am going to journal each move I make as I make it.
Here goes.

1. Download cont-tmf.zip.

2. Delete old Context stuff from \texmf tree, keeping only the following
files:

\texmf\context\perltk\texexec.exe (formerly created by renaming runperl.exe)
\texmf\context\perltk\texutil.exe (formerly created by renaming runperl.exe)

\texmf\tex\context\config\cont-user.tex
\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-user.tex  (Hmmm.... why have I got this file
in two places?)
\texmf\tex\context\base\cont-sys.tex

When deleting the old stuff, I very carefully looked at the stuff in
cont-tmf.zip and visited each directory listed to delete old files. I then
used the find utility to search the \texmf tree for all instances of
Context, just to check if there were other directories I should attend to.
There were none. I did the same search with my \localtexmf directory. No
instances of Context there. So I am pretty sure I've deleted my old version
of Context.

3. Unzip cont-tmf.zip, keeping directory structure in place. I said no to
overwriting cont-user.tex, and surprisingly, said yes to overwriting
\dvips\config\context.map (looks like I forgot to delete one file).

4. Opened \texmf\context\perltk\texexec.rme, changed one setting:

%set  TeXShell  to  tetex
%set TeXShell  to  fptex
set TeXShell  to
miktex
%set TeXShell  to  private

As you can see, I commented set TeXShell to tetex and uncommented set
TeXShell to miktex. I saved this file to \texmf\context\perltk\texexec.ini.

Note: I have \texmf\context\perltk on my path.

F:\MultCalcUsingMatlab>path
PATH=F:\TEXMF\CONTEXT\PERLTK;C:\PERL\BIN;F:\TEXMF\MIKTEX\BIN;C:\WINDOWS;C:\W
INDO
WS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\YANDY\YANDYTEX\;C:\EMTEX\BIN;C:\RSX\BIN;E:\JDK1.1.7
A\BI
N;E:\DJGPP\BIN

5. Typed texexec --verbose at the DOS prompt. I was rewarded with

F:\MultCalcUsingMatlab>texexec --verbose

 TeXExec 1.4 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-1999

     locating ini file : kpsewhich not found in path
     locating ini file : found by searching
               reading : F:\TEXMF\CONTEXT\PERLTK\texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'miktex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdftex' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXFormatFlag' to '&' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXVirginFlag' to '--initialize' for 'miktex'

          used setting : TeXShell = miktex
          used setting : SetupPath =
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TexProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath =
          used setting : ConTeXtPath =
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath =
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdftex
          used setting : TexVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &

                --help   show this or more, e.g. '--help interface'

At this moment I have some concern that some settings in lower half are
blank. Proceeding anyway, as I read in texexec.rme that some settings only
need to be set if the automatic searching routines fail.

6. Ran texexec --make

Oh!Oh! Problems. Stops with warning it cannot find core-mps.tex. Hit Enter
to continue, but stops with wanring it cannot find core-hlp.tex. This
sequence occured 4 separate times, producing at the end the following:

Beginning to dump on file cont-uk.fmt
 (preloaded format=cont-uk 1999.8.23)
21968 strings of total length 330195
260620 memory locations dumped; current usage is 84&258301
20209 multiletter control sequences
\font\nullfont=nullfont
0 words of font info for 0 preloaded fonts
14 hyphenation exceptions
Hyphenation trie of length 25642 has 698 ops out of 2048
  187 for language 5
  9 for language 4
  86 for language 3
  235 for language 2
  181 for language 0
No pages of output.
Transcript written on cont-uk.log.

            executable : pdftex
             format(s) : en nl de uk

Concerned with -uk format at the moment. Should I have US something or
other? Also concerned where that format file got dumped. Looks like it got
dumped into the current directory, which is not what I want. It needs to go
in \localtexmf\miktex\fmt\. Hmmm... I probably should have set this in
texexec.ini. Now I am checking on those files it couldn't find. Hmmm...
Sure enough, both are in \texmf\tex\context\base\. I am going back to
texexec.ini and uncommenting four lines, as follows:

 TeXFormatPath   localtexmf/miktex/fmt   fmt files
 ConTeXtPath
texmf/tex/context/base  sources
 SetupPath       texmf/tex/base/user
cont-sys/usr file
 TeXScriptsPath  texmf/context/perltk    scripts

Note also, that I changed the path in the first line to dump the format
files to where they belong on my system. I am now going to try texexec
--make again, but first I deleted those dump files from the current directory.

Oh!Oh! Same result. It cannot find the files core-mps.tex and core-hlp.tex
and it dumped everything into the current directory. I checked to see if
another texexec.ini is interfering and deleted some other instances. Trying
again, texexec --make.

Ooops! Same result. Cannot find those two files and it dumps into the
current directory. Checking the log file now. I've attached cont-en.log so
you can read the problem. I am going to try another run and manually type
in the missing filenames (the files are in the directory, I checked) when
prompted.

OK, entering

f:/texmf/tex/context/base/core-mps.tex

and

f:/texmf/tex/context/base/core-hlp.tex

when prompted worked, but still dumped the format files to the current
directory. I am going to move cont-en.fmt to \localtexmf\miktex\fmt and
proceed.

Well, it seems to compile a file OK, but I am still not comfortable with
installation.

Comments?