* Two column itemizations
@ 2000-08-13 23:43 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2000-08-13 23:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

All,

I have:

\setuppapersize[S6][S6]

\setuplayout
 [backspace=10pt,
  topspace=10pt,
  margin=0pt,
  rightedge=100pt,
  rightedgedistance=20pt,
  width=460pt,
  header=0pt,
  footer=0pt,
  height=middle]

In my exercise sets, I'd like two columns in some instances. But this
doesn't work. Why?

\let\\=\cr

{\em Answer questions 1-9 on regular notebook paper. Be sure to
test your responses at the computer.}

\startitemize[n,broad]

\item  Write the Matlab commands that generate each of the following matrices.

\startitemize[a,columns]

\item  $\pmatrix{
    1 &     1 &     3 &     0 \\
   -3 &    -1 &     6 &     8 \\
    4 &     4 &    10 &    -7 \\ }$

\item  $\pmatrix{
   10 &     5 &    -6 \\
   -5 &    -8 &    -4 \\
   -5 &   -10 &     3 \\
    8 &     8 &    -5 \\ }$
\stopitemize

\stopitemize

What I think happens is that for some reason columns two is dividing the
whole page into two columns, not just the text area. I tested this theory with

\startitemize[n,broad]

\item  Write the Matlab commands that generate each of the following matrices.

\startitemize[a,columns]

\item  one

\item  two

\stopitemize

\stopitemize

It appears that the second column starts right in the middle of the page,
but not the middle of the text area. Consequently, in the above example,
there isn't enough room for the matrix and it somehow gets shot down to the
next line. Anyhow, my output winds up like

a. one
b. two

where, of course, one and two are the matrices defined above.

Is this a bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

-
David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
7351 Tompkins Hill Road
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222

My Home Page
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/index.htm

Ordinary Differential Equations Using Matlab
http://www.prenhall.com/books/esm_0130113816.html

only message in thread, other threads:[~2000-08-13 23:43 UTC | newest]