From: David Arnold <darnold@northcoast.com>
Cc: cs@miktex.org, ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Re[2]: New Beta
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 09:14:17 -0700	[thread overview]

Giuseppe,

This is a good question. There is a Miktex Options, upon which is a Tab for
TeX formats, where one can setup and build formats.

However, this is new to Miktex 2, and traditionally I have always followed
the following steps:

1. Download and extract the new Context beta from Pragma.
2. Set environment variables in texexec.rme and rename to texexec.ini.
3. Rename cont-sys.rme to cont-sys.tex.

Actually, in 2 and 3, I usually just adjust my old texexec.ini and
cont-sys.tex.

4. Run texexec --verbose to see if setting look good.

5. Run texexec --make to build the formats. Because the TeXFormatPath is
set in texexec.ini, the formats are created AND moved into the correct
place in my /localtexmf/miktex/fmt.

6. Then I run

texexec --make --alone metafun

This builds metafun.mem. Unfortunately, there is no environment variable I
have found yet in texexec.ini that will move this automatically to the
correct spot in my miktex distribution, so I must manually move metafun.mem
to \localtexmf\miktex\mem.

7. Then I run

texexec --make --alone --format=mptopdf

This places mptopdf.efmt in /locatexmf/miktex/fmt. Then I take runperl.exe
and rename it to mptopdf.exe. These all used to be in
\miktex\context\perltk, but Christian has moved texexec.exe into the
\miktex\miktex\bin directory, which is on the path created when Miktex is
installed. This is a cool piece of software which allows me to type

mptopdf filename.1

where filename.1 is Metapost output. The result is the file filename-1.pdf.
Nice, huh? The command also accepts wildcards, as in

mptopdf filename.? or mptopdf filename.*

Old habits die hard, so I'm not quite sure how I want to setup my new
Miktex, but I am learning.

At 04:14 PM 8/24/01 +0200, you wrote:

>OB> I have found that this is not texexec but solely MiKTeX problem, the
problem
>OB> is that it seems that MiKTeX accept only restricted lenght of its
arguments and
>OB> cuts off the rest of argument for each of arguments separately, so if
your
>OB> TeXFormatPath contains f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt, then command line
argument
>OB> --undump=f:/LocalTeXMF/miktex/fmt/cont-en are cut after /miktex, so
TeX think