* gather
@ 2004-10-27  4:34 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2004-10-27  4:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

The default behavior of gather is to center a group of equations. By
default, each one is numbered. Try:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

\begin{gather}
F(x)=\int_0^x f(t)\, dt\\
F'(x)=f(x)
\end{gather}

\end{document}

Compare with:

\usemodule[amsl]

\starttext

\startgather
F(x)=\int_0^x f(t)\, dt\\
F'(x)=f(x)
\stopgather

\stoptext

In amsmath, if we don't want the individual equations numbered, we use the
* version. Try:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{amsmath}

\begin{document}

\begin{gather*}
F(x)=\int_0^x f(t)\, dt\\
F'(x)=f(x)
\end{gather*}

\end{document}

I hope this helps those who are working on these issues.

* Re: gather
@ 2004-10-27  7:18 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-10-27  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wednesday, October 27, 2004 David Arnold wrote:

> All,

> The default behavior of gather is to center a group of equations. By
> default, each one is numbered. Try:

[snip]

> In amsmath, if we don't want the individual equations numbered, we use the
> * version. Try:

> \documentclass{article}
> \usepackage{amsmath}

> \begin{document}

> \begin{gather*}
> F(x)=\int_0^x f(t)\, dt\\
> F'(x)=f(x)
> \end{gather*}

> \end{document}

> I hope this helps those who are working on these issues.

In ConTeXt, the usual behavior of such things is to have them
unnumbered unless they are preceded by a \placeformula[label],
and this is the convention I'm following in the amsl module ...
should it be changed?

I'll see for the centering issue.

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

* Re: gather
@ 2004-10-28  2:49   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2004-10-28  2:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Giuseppe,

>> In amsmath, if we don't want the individual equations numbered, we use the
>> * version. Try:
>
>> \documentclass{article}
>> \usepackage{amsmath}
>
>> \begin{document}
>
>> \begin{gather*}
>> F(x)=\int_0^x f(t)\, dt\\
>> F'(x)=f(x)
>> \end{gather*}
>
>> \end{document}
>
>> I hope this helps those who are working on these issues.
>
>In ConTeXt, the usual behavior of such things is to have them
>unnumbered unless they are preceded by a \placeformula[label],
>and this is the convention I'm following in the amsl module ...
>should it be changed?

Not necessarily. You probably should stick with the "Context Way."

However, can you tell me how to use the gather environment using amsl so
that all equations in the gather environment are numbered and labeled,
where each can be referenced separately in the ensuing text? Is this possible?

>I'll see for the centering issue.

Definitely. That's the whole point of the gather environment. Otherwise,
why not just use align? The whole point is to "gather" a group of equations
as a unit and center each on its own line.

* Re[2]: gather
@ 2004-10-28 11:21     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2004-10-28 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thursday, October 28, 2004 David Arnold wrote:

> However, can you tell me how to use the gather environment using amsl so
> that all equations in the gather environment are numbered and labeled,
> where each can be referenced separately in the ensuing text? Is this possible?

Not yet :\

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta