* special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-12 20:35 Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-11-12 20:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.  (Is "Groetjes" greetings?)

I am trying to do something described at the end of section 4.17 of
the english manual: altering the headers and footers at the beginning
of a section.

The normal headertexts look funny on the start of a section, so I'm
trying to get a blank header with the pagenumber in the middle of the
footer for the first page of a section only.  Here is what I'm using,
but it doesn't act as I would expect:

    \setuppagenumbering [location=]
    \setupheader                [style=slanted]
    \setupheadertexts   [text][Text Editing][pagenumber]

    \definetext [section][footer][pagenumber]
    \setuphead  [section]
                    [number=no,style=bold,textcommand=\BoxedSection,
                     before=\blank,after=\blank,
                     header=high,footer=section]

    \def\BoxedSection#1%
      {\framed[strut=yes,width=broad,height=1cm,corner=round]{{\bfb #1}}}

    \starttext

    \noheaderandfooterlines
    \completecontent
    \page

    \section{I Wuv Emacs}       % expect no header, pagenumber in footer
                                % like at the end of the English
                                % manual, section 4.17
    Emacs is so fly.
    \page
    Vi is very nice too.

    \stoptext

Here's the makefile:

    DOC      = sectionhead

    $(DOC).pdf      : $(DOC).tex makefile
    	    time texexec --interface=en --pdf $(DOC) < /dev/null

(BTW, Hans: I did take your suggestion and set the default interface
to English in texexec.ini, but using a makefile like this is a bit
more robust, since redhat tetex rpms come with the default interface
set to Dutch.)

Any pointers would be most appreciated.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* RE: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-13 15:15 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-13 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hai Ed,

If you, or anyone else, is interested in emacs, I've now a Emacs context
mode that works ok with the english interface of context.

It's based on tex-mode, so who'se used to auctex may find tex-mode a bit
basic.

P.S. Is it possible for the mailing list maintainer to make the reply button
send the msg to the list instead of the sender? I.e. add a Reply-To field or
change the To field.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-13 23:56   ` Ed L. Cashin
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 1999-11-13 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com> writes:

> Hai Ed,
>
> If you, or anyone else, is interested in emacs, I've now a Emacs
> context mode that works ok with the english interface of context.

> It's based on tex-mode, so who'se used to auctex may find tex-mode a
> bit basic.

I would be interested to see it!

> P.S. Is it possible for the mailing list maintainer to make the
> reply button send the msg to the list instead of the sender?
> I.e. add a Reply-To field or change the To field.

Oh, God, please no.  Please don't do that.  It is very bad.  The mail
client itself should be able to provide a way for the user to repond
to everybody that the message was sent to.  For example, if you like
emacs, then the "F" key in gnus (a great mail client) will reply to
all.

I find reply-to mangling very frustrating.  If I want to reply to the
author of a post rather than the list itself, then the "reply"
function should do just that.  The email client should provide an easy
way to reply to the author or followup to the group.  And changing the
headers in that way is specifically prohibited by the email spec.

--

@ 1999-11-15  6:43     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-15  6:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

> > If you, or anyone else, is interested in emacs, I've now a Emacs
> > context mode that works ok with the english interface of context.

> I would be interested to see it!

I hope to make it available this morning (when my provider's ftp server is
available again...) at:

	http://www.pobox.com/~berend/emacs/context.el

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* RE: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-15  8:37       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-15  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 07:43 AM 11/15/99 +0100, you wrote:
>> > If you, or anyone else, is interested in emacs, I've now a Emacs
>> > context mode that works ok with the english interface of context.
>
>> I would be interested to see it!
>

>I hope to make it available this morning (when my provider's ftp server is
>available again...) at:
>
>	http://www.pobox.com/~berend/emacs/context.el

It's at the context 'third party goodies' page, but I'm not sure of the version.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-15 11:32 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-15 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

At 03:35 PM 11/12/99 -0500, Ed L. Cashin wrote:

>I am trying to do something described at the end of section 4.17 of
>the english manual: altering the headers and footers at the beginning
>of a section.
>
>The normal headertexts look funny on the start of a section, so I'm
>trying to get a blank header with the pagenumber in the middle of the
>footer for the first page of a section only.  Here is what I'm using,
>but it doesn't act as I would expect:

>    \setuphead  [section]
>                    [number=no,style=bold,textcommand=\BoxedSection,
>                     before=\blank,after=\blank,
>                     header=high,footer=section]

say: page=right (or yes) and it will work. This feature only makes sense when you also let the header command takes care of going to a new page, else synchronization is not possible. For chapters, page=right is default.

>    \def\BoxedSection#1%
>      {\framed[strut=yes,width=broad,height=1cm,corner=round]{{\bfb #1}}}

                ^^^^^^^^^ = default                           no: ^^^

setting style=\bfb in \setuphead is better

>    \starttext
>
>    \noheaderandfooterlines
>    \completecontent
>    \page
>
>    \section{I Wuv Emacs}       % expect no header, pagenumber in footer
>                                % like at the end of the English
>                                % manual, section 4.17
>    Emacs is so fly.
>    \page
>    Vi is very nice too.
>
>    \stoptext
>

>(BTW, Hans: I did take your suggestion and set the default interface
>to English in texexec.ini, but using a makefile like this is a bit
>more robust, since redhat tetex rpms come with the default interface
>set to Dutch.)
>
>Any pointers would be most appreciated.

You can also add a first line

% interface=en output=pdftex

to the tex file. texexex will pick up this line.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-16 10:03   ` Taco Hoekwater
From: Taco Hoekwater @ 1999-11-16 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

> P.S. Is it possible for the mailing list maintainer to make the reply button
> send the msg to the list instead of the sender? I.e. add a Reply-To field or
> change the To field.

Looks like we can only add addresses but not delete the current stuff.
still sorting that out. Soon all ntg- lists will be moved to a
different machine, at which time the majordomo will be updated as
well. hopefully, that will solve some of the problems.

greetings, Taco

* RE: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-15 18:42 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-15 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> It's at the context 'third party goodies' page, but I'm not
> sure of the version.

That's the more or less dutch only version. This one has 100% support for
English.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-15  8:46 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-15  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:11 PM 11/13/99 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:

>Hans? No car crashes? Should we vote in this mailinglist for the kind of
>transports you're allowed? :-)
>
>by feet, or by train, but no car or plane :-))

Next month, taco and I go to brno (talk at cstug, test nts, talk to thanh) by car. Maybe I should let taco walk.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-15  6:32 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-15  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Oh, ***, please no.  Please don't do that.  It is very bad.  The mail
> client itself should be able to provide a way for the user to repond
> to everybody that the message was sent to.

Almost any mailing list replies to the mailing list instead of the the
author of the message. Of course, you can hit reply-all, but what you really
want is to reply to the mailing list, seldom only to the author.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* special header/footer for section page
@ 1999-11-13 15:11 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-13 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hi.  (Is "Groetjes" greetings?)

Yep.

> I am trying to do something described at the end of section 4.17 of
> the english manual: altering the headers and footers at the beginning
> of a section.

It works if you use chapter instead of section. I'm not sure if this is a
bug (the dutch interface has the same problem).