* Table of contents, loading figures, printing to pages A5 on a A4 singlesided
@ 1999-11-15 11:31 Egger
From: Egger @ 1999-11-15 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Hans,

I got three questions, which I was unable to solve myself, though I
struggeld several hours.....

I use your beta version of texexec in combination with the latest version of
a texlive installation. The output is a PDF file.

1. Table of contents

According to the manual it should be possible to create a table of contents
with the commands

\placecontents  and \completecontents. While it is possible to create the
first variant I get with the second command only a headerline like this:

[head: verzeichnis/en]

Because of trying to get this matter right, I used:

\definelist[chapter]
 \setuplist
         [chapter]
         [before=\blank,
          after=\blank,
          style=bold,
          alternative=b]

\definelist[section]
\setuplist
         [section]
         [alternative=b]

\definecombinedlist
         [verzeichnis]
         [chapter,section]
         [level=subsection]

\setupcombinedlist
         [verzeichnis]
         [alternative=b,
          width=.1\textwidth]

\starttext

\startfrontmatter
\completeverzeichnis
\stopfrontmatter

\input foo.tex

\stoptext

What is the reason for this malbehaviour?

2. Problem with figures

In my document I got several pictures (jpg-files) to be typeset.
I use the following coding:

In the masterfile:

\define[3]\putfigure
        {\placefigure
          [here,left]                   % location
          [fig:#1]                       % reference
          {#2}                            % caption
          {\externalfigure[#3]}  % reference to useexternalfigure
         }

In the input document:

\useexternalfigure
     [example1]
     [picture-a]
     [width=.4\textwidth]

\putfigure{example}{This is example A}{example1}

The output generated by using 'texexec --arrange masterfile'  results in a
pdf-file, where all figures are neatly placed, but the box contains the
message 'picture skipped'.

I tried to use texutil --figures *.jpg. The texutil.tuf file, but this did
not help. In the masterfile.log always it is stated, that the dimensions are
loaded from the original file. I believe that the files were indeed found by
the system.

I thought that Context would support the fileformat jpg? - How to solve
this?

3. Printing two pages of A5 on a A4 landscape, singlesided. The intention
was to print two pages and then to cut the A4 into two pieces.

I tried hard to find out how to perform this with my above mentioned
masterfile. What is the correct coding, if ever possible?
My last attempt was with:

\setuppapersize[A5][A4,rotated]
\setuparranging[2*2,rotated]
\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided,location={header,marginedge}]

This results in  a booklet layout with the pagenumbering alternating and the
pages carry the headers alternating along the right and left edge of the
A4.....

Thanks for your help!

Kind regards Willi

* Re: Table of contents, loading figures, printing to pages A5 on a A4 singlesided
@ 1999-11-15 17:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-15 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:31 PM 11/15/99 +0100, Egger wrote:

>\definelist[chapter]

Dangerous! It is already defined. Just stick to \setup here.

> \setuplist
>         [chapter]
>         [before=\blank,
>          after=\blank,
>          style=bold,
>          alternative=b]
>
>\definelist[section]
>\setuplist
>         [section]
>         [alternative=b]
>
>\definecombinedlist
>         [verzeichnis]
>         [chapter,section]
>         [level=subsection]

>\setupcombinedlist
>         [verzeichnis]
>         [alternative=b,
>          width=.1\textwidth]
>
>\starttext
>
>\startfrontmatter
>\completeverzeichnis
>\stopfrontmatter
>
>\input foo.tex
>
>\stoptext
>
>What is the reason for this malbehaviour?

Lists are local by default, so here you need to say:

\setupcombinedlist[verzeichnis][criterium=all]

otherwise you get a list of the entries in the frontmatter, which does not have any chapters in your case.

>2. Problem with figures
>
>In my document I got several pictures (jpg-files) to be typeset.
>I use the following coding:
>
>In the masterfile:
>
>\define[3]\putfigure
>        {\placefigure
>          [here,left]                   % location
>          [fig:#1]                       % reference
>          {#2}                            % caption
>          {\externalfigure[#3]}  % reference to useexternalfigure
>         }
>
>In the input document:
>
>\useexternalfigure
>     [example1]
>     [picture-a]
>     [width=.4\textwidth]
>
>\putfigure{example}{This is example A}{example1}

>I thought that Context would support the fileformat jpg? - How to solve
>this?

Only when using pdftex. If you say:

  \traceexternalfigure

You can try to track down the problem. Normally figure inclusion works ok, so I suppose someother problem is there. Be aware of the fact that context searches the local path and globally defined paths. Not the texinputs path!

>\setuppapersize[A5][A4,rotated]
>\setuparranging[2*2,rotated]

I'll look into that one later.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Table of contents, loading figures, printing to pages A5 on a A4 singlesided
@ 1999-11-15 22:16 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-15 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>3. Printing two pages of A5 on a A4 landscape, singlesided. The intention
>was to print two pages and then to cut the A4 into two pieces.
>
>I tried hard to find out how to perform this with my above mentioned
>masterfile. What is the correct coding, if ever possible?
>My last attempt was with:
>
>\setuppapersize[A5][A4,rotated]
>\setuparranging[2*2,rotated]
>\setuppagenumbering[alternative=singlesided,location={header,marginedge}]
>
>This results in  a booklet layout with the pagenumbering alternating and the
>pages carry the headers alternating along the right and left edge of the
>A4.....

\setuppapersize[A5,rotated][A4]

\setuplayout[nx=2,width=middle,height=middle]

\setupbackgrounds[text][text][background=screen]

\starttext

one \page two \page three \page four \page

\stoptext

Or do you want

1 2   3 4   5 6

If so, I have to add a new arrangement: side.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE