* Width between section head and first paragraph depending on \setupwhitespace??
@ 1999-11-18 21:29 Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 1999-11-18 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hai All,

I detected that \setupwhitespace also influences the white space between
section and the first line of that section. Aren't these not totally
unrelated values??

Example below, comment out \setupwhitespace to get normal distance, with it,
the section is (too) close to the first line.

---------------
% interface=en output=pdftex

\setupbodyfont[ber,pos,11pt]

\setupwhitespace[small]

\starttext

\chapter{Test}

\section{The scope of SDMS}

In the preceding sections, the kind of software that has to be build
was defined (supporting planning activities) and the major.

\section{More section}

Some more code.

\stoptext
---------------

For me, \setupwhitespace should not influence this value.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Width between section head and first paragraph depending on \setupwhitespace??
@ 1999-11-19  6:09 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-19  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 10:29 PM 11/18/99 +0100, Berend de Boer wrote:

>I detected that \setupwhitespace also influences the white space between
>section and the first line of that section. Aren't these not totally
>unrelated values??

\def\simpledoblanko%
  {\doifelse{\currentwitruimte}{\v!geen}
     {\blanko[\currentblanko]}
     {\blanko[\currentwitruimte]}}

Since many default spacings are defined in terms of simple \blank (\blanko in dutch), indeed you will get (according to this definition) a whitespace. Long ago we found this more acceptable.

The most simple way we can deal with this is indirecion (sorry for the mix of dutch / english, will be english low level some day):

\unprotect

\def\simpledoblanko%
  {\doifelse{\currentwitruimte}{\v!geen}
     {\blanko[\currentblanko]}
     {\blanko[\s!default]}}

\definieerblanko
  [\s!default]
  [\v!wit]

\protect

When added to cont-new.tex, you can say:

\defineblank[default][big]

nice eh? Your whole doc spacing changed in one command.  Now it's up to you to remind me to document this.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE