* Re: Setting up Context under MikTeX
       [not found] <3.0.5.32.19991127133203.011a7a90@mail.northcoast.com>
@ 1999-11-27 22:24 ` Jannie Hofmeyr
From: Jannie Hofmeyr @ 1999-11-27 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Arnold wrote in response to my query on problems with texexec.pl under
Miktex.

<snip>

>           used setting : TeXShell = miktex
>           used setting : SetupPath = f:/texmf/tex/context/config
>           used setting : UserInterface = en
>           used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
>           used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
>           used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
>           used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
>           used setting : TeXProgramPath =
>           used setting : TeXFormatPath = f:/localtexmf/miktex/fmt
>           used setting : ConTeXtPath = f:/texmf/tex/context/base
>           used setting : TeXScriptsPath = f:/texmf/context/perltk
>           used setting : TeXExecutable = pdftex
>           used setting : TeXVirginFlag = --initialize
>           used setting : TeXPassString =
>           used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &
>
>                 --help   show this or more, e.g. '--help interface'
>
> Note --initialize, not --ini as shown in your response.

I rechecked. Here is the full output of texexec --verbose

 TeXExec 1.6 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-1999

     locating ini file : kpsewhich not found in path
     locating ini file : found by searching
               reading : C:\TEXMFLOCAL\MIKTEX\BIN\texexec.ini
               setting : 'TeXShell' to 'miktex' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'all'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'all'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'tex' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpExecutable' to 'mpost' for 'all'
               setting : 'MpToTeXExecutable' to 'mpto' for 'all'
               setting : 'DviToMpExecutable' to 'dvitomp' for 'all'
               setting : 'UsedInterfaces' to 'en,nl,de,uk' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'UserInterface' to 'en' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXExecutable' to 'pdftex' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXFormatFlag' to '&' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXVirginFlag' to '--initialize' for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXFormatPath' to 'c:/texmflocal/miktex/fmt' for
'miktex'
               setting : 'ConTeXtPath' to 'c:/texmflocal/tex/context/base'
for 'miktex'
               setting : 'SetupPath' to 'c:/texmflocal/tex/context/config'
for 'miktex'
               setting : 'TeXScriptsPath' to 'c:/texmflocal/context/perltk'
for 'miktex'

          used setting : TeXShell = miktex
          used setting : SetupPath = c:/texmflocal/tex/context/config
          used setting : UserInterface = en
          used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
          used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
          used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
          used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
          used setting : TexProgramPath =
          used setting : TeXFormatPath = c:/texmflocal/miktex/fmt
          used setting : ConTeXtPath = c:/texmflocal/tex/context/base
          used setting : TeXScriptsPath = c:/texmflocal/context/perltk
          used setting : TeXExecutable = pdftex
          used setting : TexVirginFlag = -ini
          used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &

                --help   show this or more, e.g. '--help interface'

Note:

1. I still have TeXExec 1.6, whereas you use 1.7 (I searched the mailing
list and found that Hans announced a new beta on 3 November. However, the
cont-tmf.zip in the beta section of the Pragma website still contains 1.6).
Where can I get 1.7? Do you think this may make the difference (Hans
mentions a new 'filename regime').

2. Although TeXVirginFlag  is correctly set to '--initialize' for 'miktex'
in texexec.ini, this seems to be reset to -ini (whereas yours remains
unchanged)

> I am attaching my texexec.ini. did you change
>
> %set  TeXShell  to  tetex
> %set TeXShell  to  fptex
> set TeXShell  to
> miktex
> %set TeXShell  to  private

Yes. I also checked my texexec.ini against yours. The only difference is
that I installed context in my local texmf tree, whereas you put it in the
main texmf tree (where I hope it will reside in future, but which I avoid
for the moment in order to simplify future updating of miktex).

> Also, did you refresh the filename database?

Yes, repeatedly (just to be sure :-)

So, I am still confused, but very thankful for your help, David.

Best regards
Jannie Hofmeyr

Prof. Jannie Hofmeyr
Dept. of Biochemistry
Univ. of Stellenbosch
Private Bag X1
Matieland 7602
South Africa

* Re: Setting up Context under MikTeX
@ 1999-11-28 19:26   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-11-28 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:24 AM 11/28/99 +0200, Jannie Hofmeyr wrote:

>1. I still have TeXExec 1.6, whereas you use 1.7 (I searched the mailing
>list and found that Hans announced a new beta on 3 November. However, the
>cont-tmf.zip in the beta section of the Pragma website still contains 1.6).
>Where can I get 1.7? Do you think this may make the difference (Hans
>mentions a new 'filename regime').

There were quite some beta uploads in november, which is due to the fact
that (discussion concerning this went behind the list) I added support for
chinese, arabtex, croatian, etc as well as added a few features, like the
filename-prefixing (that's the new regime; when one does multiple runs on
the same path, one can add \protectbufferstrue to the local cont-sys.tex
file, so that temporary filenames are prefixed by the jobname. That update
also concerned texexec).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Setting up Context under MikTeX
@ 1999-11-27 20:50 Jannie Hofmeyr
From: Jannie Hofmeyr @ 1999-11-27 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear list-members

I am trying to set up Context under MikTeX. I have copied the latest
distribution into my texmflocal tree, edited texexec.ini, created the
texexec,
texwork and texutil binaries from runperl.exe and put them in my path with
the perl scripts and texexec.ini.

The 'used setting' part of the output of "texexec --verbose" is:

  used setting : TeXShell = miktex
  used setting : SetupPath = c:/texmflocal/tex/context/config
  used setting : UserInterface = en
  used setting : UsedInterfaces = en,nl,de,uk
  used setting : MpExecutable = mpost
  used setting : MpToTeXExecutable = mpto
  used setting : DviToMpExecutable = dvitomp
  used setting : TexProgramPath =
  used setting : TeXFormatPath = c:/texmflocal/miktex/fmt
  used setting : ConTeXtPath = c:/texmflocal/tex/context/base
  used setting : TeXScriptsPath = c:/texmflocal/context/perltk
  used setting : TeXExecutable = pdftex
  used setting : TexVirginFlag = -ini
  used setting : TeXFormatFlag = &

Format creation was successful. However, when I run a sample context file
(interact.tex from samples.zip), the texexec script stumbles on creation of
the cont-opt file.
The following is an excerpt from the log file:

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (MiKTeX 1.20e (Snapshot build 150))
(preloaded format=cont-en 1999.11.27)  27 NOV 1999 22:32
**&c:/texmflocal/miktex/fmt/cont-en interact
(interact.tex[pdftex.cfg]

system         : cont-opt loaded
(./cont-opt.tex)
! I can't write on file `cont-opt.tex'.
<to be read again>
                   \immediate
\next ...write =\f!optfilename \immediate
                                          \write \scratchwrite {\texc...
<everyjob> ...enutilities \loadoptionfile
                                          \loadtwopassdata \setupfoot...
l.1
    % Interactive documents
Please type another output file name: [HERE I JUST ENTER RETURN OR ANY NAME]
(./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo)
(./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo) (./interact.tuo)
(./interact.tuo)
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki is reset
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(C:\texmflocal\tex\context\base\spec-tpd.tex
systems        : please update your pdfTeX binaries
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(C:\texmflocal\tex\context\base\spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 2> <unprotect 3>
<protect 3> <protect 2>)
specials       : fdf loaded
<unprotect 2> <protect 2>)

Interact.pdf is successfully created, but I cannot figure out why the perl
script
has a problem with cont-opt.tex. When I press enter without a filename
cont-opt is created with the content:

  \unprotect
  \setupsystem[\c!gebied={c:/texmflocal/tex/context/config/}]
  \protect

If I enter foo, then foo.tex with the same content is created.

Can anyone help? (I downloaded all the mailing list headers
but could not find anything that looked as if it may help me).

Another question. Is the miktex pdfTex binary a "pdfeTex" version? I see in
the
log file a polite request for me to update my pdfTeX binaries (I currently
am on
13d).

Thanks for the help.

Jannie Hofmeyr