* Building a graph in a Context presentation
@ 1999-11-30 22:39 Jannie Hofmeyr
From: Jannie Hofmeyr @ 1999-11-30 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear Group

One of my applications of Context will be to create screen presentations. It
appears that the functionality to build up a list of items sequentially in
successive pages is already therev (s-pre-00.tex). What I particularly need
do, however, is to sequentally build up a graph with explanatory text
appearing
next to the graph as each bit is inserted (i.e., as successive stuff is
added
to the graph, an itemised list builds up next to the graph). Typically, I
produce the series of graphs with gnuplot and its metapost terminal (what a
pleasure to finally be able to do that!).

Is there a way of building text and graphics in combination in Context? I
wouldn't mind doing this manually, i.e. creating each successive page as a
separate entity. However, I then need to put the graph and the existing text
in
exactly the same place, so that I can create the illusion of a sequential
build
on a single page. This means I must avoid slight shifts in graphs and text
placing when paging.

As I understand it from art-pres.pdf and reading s-pre-00.tex, Context, when
building an itemized list, does it by successively uncovering hidden parts
of a
page. Would this be possible with a Metapost graph?

Fervently-hoping-that-my-problem-can-be-solved-ly yours
Jannie

--------------------------------
Prof. Jannie Hofmeyr
Dept. of Biochemistry, Univ. of Stellenbosch
Private Bag X1, Matieland 7602
South Africa
e-mail: jhsh@iafrica.com / jhsh@maties.sun.ac.za
tel. +27 21 808 3039
fax. +27 21 808 3022

* Re: Building a graph in a Context presentation
@ 1999-12-01 11:52 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-12-01 11:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:39 AM 12/1/99 +0200, Jannie Hofmeyr wrote:
>Dear Group

>Is there a way of building text and graphics in combination in Context? I
>wouldn't mind doing this manually, i.e. creating each successive page as a
>separate entity. However, I then need to put the graph and the existing text
>in
>exactly the same place, so that I can create the illusion of a sequential
>build
>on a single page. This means I must avoid slight shifts in graphs and text
>placing when paging.

When using MP, I suggest to say \input mp-tool too, since that provides you
with a high res bbox.

In your MP graphics, when they should overlap, you should make sure they
have the same dimensions. Something:

path finalbbox ; finalbbox := unitsquare xscaled .. yscaled .. ;

setbounds currentpicture to finalbbox ;

One way of putting text alongside a figure is

\startfiguretext{none}{\externalfigure[graph.2][width=.3\hsize]
  text
\stopfiguretext

However, I have a beta presention style that will probably suit your
purpose better. (I have a few styles that sort of guide you through the
presentation. One may disagree with me, but I think it's a bit better that
way than the traditional build-up-a-page).

I will sent you that style later, so that you can see if it suits.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Building a graph in a Context presentation
@ 1999-12-01 14:13 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 1999-12-01 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Btw,

at our site there are a few preliminary versions of presentation styles
other than the ones in the distribution:

www.prgama-ade.nl -> about pragma -> company presentations

In due time these and others styles will make it into the distribution.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE