* (La)TeX vs ConTeX ?
@ 2000-01-19  1:00 Jorge Vilhena
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Jorge Vilhena @ 2000-01-19  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello TeX Friends

I'm new to the world of TeX and I've one question that I would like someone
to answer me. Here it is.
What is the main differences between LaTeX and ConTeX, and what was the goal
in ConTeX creation?
I want to write my master thesis which has lots of figures, tables and
formulas with one of them, but I don't know which should I use. Could
someone give me some hints?

___________
Regards

Jorge Vilhena
Portugal

* Re: (La)TeX vs ConTeX ?
@ 2000-01-19  9:02 ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2000-01-19  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2000-01-19  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-01-19 10:28 ` Neville Dean
       [not found] ` <Pine.OSF.3.91.1000119100636.12063B-100000@artemis.anglia.a c.uk>
From: Neville Dean @ 2000-01-19 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> I'm new to the world of TeX and I've one question that I would like someone
> to answer me. Here it is.
> What is the main differences between LaTeX and ConTeX, and what was the goal
> in ConTeX creation?
> I want to write my master thesis which has lots of figures, tables and
> formulas with one of them, but I don't know which should I use. Could
> someone give me some hints?

I have been using LaTeX for nearly ten years now, but am currently in the
throes of switching to ConTeXt. Two days ago I produced my first "real"
document using ConTeXt, and am very pleased with the result. In spite of
my high opinion of ConTeXt, however, I am still advising Research
Students to learn LaTeX as a "first language". The reason for this is
simple: many publications insist upon (or at least prefer) LaTeX. If you
use ConTeXt to write your thesis and subsequently decide to publish some
of your work then you may have difficulty getting a publication to accept
ConTeXt.

---
Neville

PS As a novice ConTeXter I shall no doubt be drawing upon the expertise
of this group in the near future!

* Re: (La)TeX vs ConTeX ?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-01-19 13:27 ` Ed L. Cashin
       [not found] ` <Pine.OSF.3.91.1000119100636.12063B-100000@artemis.anglia.a c.uk>
From: Ed L. Cashin @ 2000-01-19 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Jorge Vilhena <jvilhena@est.ips.pt> writes:

> Hello TeX Friends
>
> I'm new to the world of TeX and I've one question that I would like someone
> to answer me. Here it is.
> What is the main differences between LaTeX and ConTeX, and what was the goal
> in ConTeX creation?
> I want to write my master thesis which has lots of figures, tables and
> formulas with one of them, but I don't know which should I use. Could
> someone give me some hints?

In addition to the comments of the others, I would just add that
context has a different philosophy than latex.

Context has a similar feel to plain tex.  I really like plain tex.
Knuth made the plain macropackage for simplicity, coherency, and
flexibility.  You can do _many_ things with plain tex because it is
like a programming language.

Latex is different.  It is for people who want to use a standard
typesettting format like journal submissions.  If you want to do
something normal, latex is easier, but if you have special needs,
latex will be very hard, since instead of a small, coherent set of
macros, latex has a proliferation of commands--each feature of each
package has its own command.

Context, like plain tex, is a coherent set of macros that are tools
that allow you to build anything you want.  A big plus is that the
tools context provides are more hip to current advancements in
document engineering, like interactive, hyperlinked documents, color
and graphics, PDF output, etc.

HTH.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: (La)TeX vs ConTeX ?
       [not found] ` <Pine.OSF.3.91.1000119100636.12063B-100000@artemis.anglia.a c.uk>
@ 2000-01-19 14:17   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-01-19 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Jorge Vilhena, ntg-context

At 10:28 AM 1/19/2000 +0000, Neville Dean wrote:

>simple: many publications insist upon (or at least prefer) LaTeX. If you
>use ConTeXt to write your thesis and subsequently decide to publish some
>of your work then you may have difficulty getting a publication to accept
>ConTeXt.

Conversion to latex depends on how low level you code your document.
Context has some high level features not present in latex, or not present
in the same way, so that could give problems when converting to another
system that does not support them.

On the other hand, many publishers accept latex, but send it to a editing
office right away, for recoding (e.g. to xml). I'm sure taco can explain
how kluwer does it in these days / near future, since they start using
context for processing their scientific articles, even if they were
originally coded in latex.

Alternatively, you can code your document in xml (and process it by
context), which in principle should make publishers happy, but I think they
would be surprised to get xml.

As long as you stick to high level markup, you're safe. Most context math
(module) can be converted to amsmath (losing only control over general
typo), while structuring commands can be mapped rather easilly.

The choice also depends on how far one wants to go. For instance, the next
release of context will offer some pretty sophisticated graphic features,
even a bit to the level that (in my opinion) users are forced to think a
bit different about dealing with graphics (for instance layering). And some
more of that stuff it to come (if only to keep myself happy).

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: (La)TeX vs ConTeX ?
@ 2000-01-20 23:03   ` Jorge Vilhena
From: Jorge Vilhena @ 2000-01-20 23:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tank you all for helping me to clarify the basic aspects of (La)TeX and ConTeXt.

Regards

Jorge Vilhena
Portugal