* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-02-03 15:57 ` Karsten Tinnefeld
From: Karsten Tinnefeld @ 2000-02-03 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I see. In ConTeXt \ss is used to switch to sans serif. Use \SS instead.
> Also, in de-mode, you can say things like "u and "s to get them fast. Less
> portable, but useful when a language has so many "'s (in polish it's /z and
> so).
>
> Maybe \es would be a nice alternative? What do the germans on this list
> think of it?

\sz would be more appropriate, I would not think of \es but as a short
cut for \turnonspanishtext.

In fact, babel has \ss and \sz for ß, where \ss capitalizes SS, but \sz
capitalizes SZ (which nearly everyone consider ridiculous except in
special cases as MASSE vs. MASZE).

Karsten
--
Karsten Tinnefeld                       tinnefeld@ls2.cs.uni-dortmund.de
Fachbereich Informatik, Lehrstuhl 2                   T +49 231 755-4737

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-02-03 16:41   ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-02-03 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context

Hallo Karsten, hallo Hans, hi all,

> > I see. In ConTeXt \ss is used to switch to sans serif. Use \SS instead.
> > Also, in de-mode, you can say things like "u and "s to get them fast. Less
> > portable, but useful when a language has so many "'s (in polish it's /z and
> > so).
> > Maybe \es would be a nice alternative? What do the germans on this list
> > think of it?
> \sz would be more appropriate, I would not think of \es but as a short
> cut for \turnonspanishtext.
I agree with Karsten. But: Is it really neccessary to add anything? \SS works,
and if you want to write more than this single letter, the German "s should be
sufficient.

> In fact, babel has \ss and \sz for ß, where \ss capitalizes SS, but \sz
> capitalizes SZ (which nearly everyone consider ridiculous except in
> special cases as MASSE vs. MASZE).
Try (using \de / \language[de(o)]) "s "S "z "Z in ConTeXt. the "s<->"S "z<->"Z
also works ok.

Tobias

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-02-03 17:19   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-02-03 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context

At 04:57 PM 2/3/2000 +0100, Karsten Tinnefeld wrote:

>\sz would be more appropriate, I would not think of \es but as a short
>cut for \turnonspanishtext.

You're right. If \sz is no language code I'll add it (\it btw is not
italian but italic -) This is why one can also say: \italian or  \german
(actually language synonyms).

I suggest we then use \sz as prefered ersatz (was't that the word?) and
start getting rid of \SS (I'll keep it as an undocumented macro).

Does everybody agree?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-02-03 17:21     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-02-03 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Context

At 05:41 PM 2/3/2000 +0100, Tobias Burnus wrote:

>and if you want to write more than this single letter, the German "s
should be
>sufficient.

We need some robust low level macro for use in labels and so, keep in mind
that the active " is a language specific. This is why in chinese for
instance \uchars are used instead of one out of ten encodings.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-02-03 15:35     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-02-03 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hans Hagen, Kei Furuuchi, Context

At 11:46 PM 2/3/2000 +0900, Kei Furuuchi wrote:
>Hans Hagen writes:
> > >Also I noticed that as far as mixing languages german as applied in
> > >format "con-en" is sporadicly changed between roman font and gothic or
> > >bold font. I convert german into tex format by using "cstocs" perl
> > >script from latin1, I believe.
> >
> > The experts in german and fonts are on the context mailing list. This
> > 'misfeature' does not sound familiar to me, but maybe they know.

I see. In ConTeXt \ss is used to switch to sans serif. Use \SS instead.
Also, in de-mode, you can say things like "u and "s to get them fast. Less
portable, but useful when a language has so many "'s (in polish it's /z and
so).

Maybe \es would be a nice alternative? What do the germans on this list
think of it?

Some day I make a \sf and let users choose -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-02-03 15:20 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-02-03 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kei Furuuchi, ntg-context

At 10:24 PM 2/3/2000 +0800, Mr. Lei Wang wrote:

>some problem mention in last mail and Hans need time to deal with them.

I will for sure deal with them, but I hav eto finish some examn module
stuff first. Also, the next two weeks I'm in the USA on a project, so it
has to wait till after I return. (I will answer my emails however -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Page break in columns
       [not found] ` <3.0.6.32.20000203135010.008b0780@pop.wxs.nl>
@ 2000-02-03 14:46   ` Kei Furuuchi
From: Kei Furuuchi @ 2000-02-03 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kei Furuuchi, Context

[-- Attachment #1: message body text --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 469 bytes --]

Hans Hagen writes:
 > >Also I noticed that as far as mixing languages german as applied in
 > >format "con-en" is sporadicly changed between roman font and gothic or
 > >bold font. I convert german into tex format by using "cstocs" perl
 > >script from latin1, I believe.
 >
 > The experts in german and fonts are on the context mailing list. This
 > 'misfeature' does not sound familiar to me, but maybe they know.

Case in point:
Please do texexec elend_mix_dummy.

[-- Attachment #2: elend_mix_dummy.tgz --]

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-02-03 14:24 Mr. Lei Wang
From: Mr. Lei Wang @ 2000-02-03 14:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>I don't know implimentation about Japanese. But there are japanized
>tex version. I don't remember they are implimented as you mention
>above. I could ask someone. did you distribute above already?

I have not seen the japanese version tex. As I know, some far-eastern
version tex/latex can do vertical typesetting. But they need the special
fonts are used such as CJK package, need a special hbf font to do this
job. Now context impliment Chinese vertical, not satisfied because
some problem mention in last mail and Hans need time to deal with them.
The current version context can do vertical typesetting simplified
Chinese text.

>Also I noticed that as far as mixing languages german as applied in
>format "con-en" is sporadicly changed between roman font and gothic or
>bold font. I convert german into tex format by using "cstocs" perl
>script from latin1, I believe.

            Mr. Lei Wang
            leiwang@btamail.net.cn

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-01-31 17:47 Mr. Lei Wang
From: Mr. Lei Wang @ 2000-01-31 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context, Kei Furuuchi

Hi,

>>Can it make a line vertical? In Japan, technical publications are done
>>in horizontal, but general literatures are done vertical. The
>
>We're working on that. I cc to Wang Lei. If the two of you can sort out the
>font things and come up with specs, I'll do the macros etc.

Hm, I think it is also typesetting vertical Japanese if we can properly
handle the Chinese, both GBK and Big5. I know little about Japanese,
but I see the GBK and Big5 Chinese include all the Japanese characters, too.
Now for Chinese vertical typesetting, one problem is that the punctuations
are different from those in horizontal. GBK simplified Chinese only have
the punctuations for typesetting horizontal while Big5 traditional Chinese
supply both. another problem is that the typesetting when mixed Chinese(Janpanese,
Korean) with English or other western characters. In this case, the western
characters usually rotated 90(clockwise) in Chinese.

            Mr. Lei Wang
            lwang@amath8.amt.ac.cn

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-01-29  1:12     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-01-29  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:21 AM 1/29/2000 +0900, Kei Furuuchi wrote:
>More specifically:
>
>\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
>\starttext
>\defineparagraphs[TwoCol][n=2]
>\setupparagraphs[1][width=0.5/textwidth]
>\input mk_mix.txt
>\stoptext
>
>And inside mk_mix.txt:
>
>\startTwoCol
>blah blah
>\Twocol
>blah blah
>\StopTwocol
>
>repeat the above block in different text in English and German.

How about:

\definetabulate[dual][|p|p|]
\setuptabulate[dual][inner=\setquicktabulate\dual]

\startdual
\dual some text \\ some text \\
\stopdual

That one nicely breaks across pages. In the latest version it even keeps
the two topmost and two bottommost lines onbroken.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-01-28 18:21   ` Kei Furuuchi
From: Kei Furuuchi @ 2000-01-28 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Kei Furuuchi, ntg-context

Hans Hagen writes:
 > At 02:25 AM 1/28/2000 +0900, you wrote:
 >
 > >Is there anyway to break a page in columns like latex multicol style
 > >in tools package does in ConTeXt's defineparagraphs procedure?
 > >I noticed a page breaks between columns not inside.
 >
 > \startcolumns[n=5]
 > yourtext
 > \stopcolumns

More specifically:

\setuppapersize[A4][A4]
\starttext
\defineparagraphs[TwoCol][n=2]
\setupparagraphs[1][width=0.5/textwidth]
\input mk_mix.txt
\stoptext

And inside mk_mix.txt:

\startTwoCol
blah blah
\Twocol
blah blah
\StopTwocol

repeat the above block in different text in English and German.

Regards,
Kei.

* Re: Page break in columns
@ 2000-01-28  8:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-01-28  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:25 AM 1/28/2000 +0900, you wrote:

>Is there anyway to break a page in columns like latex multicol style
>in tools package does in ConTeXt's defineparagraphs procedure?
>I noticed a page breaks between columns not inside.

\startcolumns[n=5]
yourtext
\stopcolumns

(behaviour can be set up in more detail)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Page break in columns
@ 2000-01-27 17:25 Kei Furuuchi