* Bloody Beginner Questions...
@ 2000-04-26 17:27 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-04-26 17:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all!

I'm not yet a ConTeXt user and hope you can help me to change this.

I started using LaTeX some months ago but recognized, that there are
some things LaTeX cannot do -- like grid setting and imposition, what I
need for a book project.

I tried to get ConTeXt connected with my OzTeX on MacOS but had no success.
Then I installed LinuxPPC and got it working after some weeks of trial.

Now it's time to run ConTeXt...

*** _e_fmt ?
If I run texexec with any tex file I get a message from pdfetex
that it couldn't find cont-de.efmt or context.efmt.
How can I make this *.efmt files? Or must I just change some config file?

*** LaTeX 2 ConTeXt ?
An other question:
Is there a tool that converts from LaTeX to ConTeXt?

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: Bloody Beginner Questions...
@ 2000-04-27  8:19 ` Hans Hagen
       [not found]   ` <39081D54.5131AF91@gmx.net>
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-04-27  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 07:27 PM 4/26/2000 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>If I run texexec with any tex file I get a message from pdfetex
>that it couldn't find cont-de.efmt or context.efmt.
>How can I make this *.efmt files? Or must I just change some config file?

You should run "fmtutil --edit" and uncomment the lines. Alternatively you
can try

texexec --alone --make en

(not that much tested yet)

>*** LaTeX 2 ConTeXt ?
>An other question:
>Is there a tool that converts from LaTeX to ConTeXt?

No. But berend wrote a manual that helps latex users to make the switch.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Bloody Beginner Questions...
@ 2000-04-27 12:10   ` Christopher G D Tipper
       [not found]   ` <39081D54.5131AF91@gmx.net>
From: Christopher G D Tipper @ 2000-04-27 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Here's Berends LaTeX2ConTeX manual
http://www.xs4all.nl/~nederwar/tex/LaTeX2ConTeXt.pdf
btw it's worth mentioning that the English manual is in the 'beta' section of www.pragma-ade.nl It's still beta, but indispensable nevertheless.

@ 2000-04-27 20:34     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-04-27 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 12:58 PM 4/27/2000 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>> You should run "fmtutil --edit" and uncomment the lines. Alternatively you
>
>I did already all what you (and the manual) said.
>But this makes only *.fmt, not *.efmt
>                                 ^
>Or did I misunderstand anything?

That only happens when there is a star (*) in front of the filename as well
as pdfetex instead of pdftex is used. This should be default in the config
file. This is more a fmtutil issue than an texexec one.

[texexec --along --tex=pdfetex --make en]

Is pdfetex on your system? If not, just use pdftex (.fmt).

>> >*** LaTeX 2 ConTeXt ?
>> >Is there a tool that converts from LaTeX to ConTeXt?
>> No. But berend wrote a manual that helps latex users to make the switch.
>
>Is it on the pragma-ade website? Where?

No, but you can ask on the context list for the status. It will be an
article in the next MAPS; maybe taco (editor) can post a file.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE