* extraction of pages from pdf docs?
@ 2000-04-28 10:24 Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-04-28 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry if this is an offtopic question but we have no pdf related
newsgroups on our news seröer.

How do I extract certain pages from a PDF document? I would like
to extract pages 1-4, 17-20, 33-36, 49-52 from a 1600 page document.

We have Adobe Acrobat here. I have not seen how this can be accomplished
without doing it with my right index finger on the left mouse button.

Thank you for any hints.

Johannes

* Re: extraction of pages from pdf docs?
@ 2000-04-28 11:05 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-04-28 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 12:24 PM 4/28/2000 +0200, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
>Sorry if this is an offtopic question but we have no pdf related
>newsgroups on our news seröer.
>
>How do I extract certain pages from a PDF document? I would like
>to extract pages 1-4, 17-20, 33-36, 49-52 from a 1600 page document.

Download the texexec manual and thou will know.

texexec --help pdfselect

TeXExec 2.1 - ConTeXt / PRAGMA ADE 1997-2000

          --selection   pages to select
                          =odd   : odd pages
                          =even  : even pages
                          =x,y:z : pages x and y to z
        --paperoffset   room left at paper border
        --paperformat   paper format
          --backspace   inner margin of the page
           --topspace   top/bottom margin of the page
           --markings   add cutmarks
           --addempty   add empty page after
          --textwidth   width of the original (one sided) text

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: extraction of pages from pdf docs?
@ 2000-04-28 14:26   ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-04-28 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri 2000-04-28 (13:05), Hans Hagen wrote:
> At 12:24 PM 4/28/2000 +0200, Johannes Hüsing wrote:
> >Sorry if this is an offtopic question but we have no pdf related
> >newsgroups on our news seröer.
> >
> >How do I extract certain pages from a PDF document? I would like
> >to extract pages 1-4, 17-20, 33-36, 49-52 from a 1600 page document.
>
> Download the texexec manual and thou will know.

It says in --pdfarrange that TeX is used. Does this signify that documents
prepared with eg MS Word will not be processed?

Sorry for asking instead of trying but I'm not at my productive PC right
now where I can try these things out.

Thank you

@ 2000-04-29  5:13 ` Johannes Hüsing
From: Johannes Hüsing @ 2000-04-29  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri 2000-04-28 (12:24), I wrote:
> Sorry if this is an offtopic question but we have no pdf related
> newsgroups on our news seröer.
>
> How do I extract certain pages from a PDF document? I would like
> to extract pages 1-4, 17-20, 33-36, 49-52 from a 1600 page document.
>
> We have Adobe Acrobat here. I have not seen how this can be accomplished
> without doing it with my right index finger on the left mouse button.
>
> Thank you for any hints.

and Hans directed me to

texexec --pdfselect

which I tried, only to receive the following error message (excerpt of log):

s is pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-13d-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.1)
entering extended mode
(texexec.tex[/var/lib/texmf/pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg]

ConTeXt  ver: 2000.3.30  fmt: 2000.4.22  int: english  mes: english

language       : language en is active
system         : cont-new loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-new.tex
systems        : beware: some patches loaded from cont-new.tex!
line 193: inserting E-TEX code \unless
)
system         : cont-old loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-old.tex
)
system         : cont-fil loaded
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/cont-fil.tex
)
bodyfont       : 12pt rm is loaded
language       : patterns 2-en-2 2-uk-2 2-de-2 2-fr-2 2-sp-2 2-nl-2 loaded
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki loaded
system         : texexec.top loaded
(./texexec.top
specials       : tex,postscript,rokicki is reset
specials       : loading definition file tpd
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-tpd.tex <unprotect 2>
systems        : please update your pdfTeX binaries
specials       : loading definition file fdf
(/usr/share/texmf/tex/context/base/spec-fdf.tex <unprotect 3> <unprotect 4>
<protect 4> <protect 3>)
specials       : fdf loaded
specials       : fdf,tpd loaded
) (././IB_TEST.PDF
! Text line contains an invalid character.
l.82 H^^89ìÖ^^?
               L^^SW^^\^^@ð×;À^^93^^9eG^^8fV-³`[Ú*s^^C
?

So my question, while it may be off-topic here, remains.

Greetings

@ 2000-05-04 21:24     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-04 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 04:26 PM 4/28/2000 +0200, Johannes Hüsing wrote:

>It says in --pdfarrange that TeX is used. Does this signify that documents
>prepared with eg MS Word will not be processed?

In principle any pdf file will work (using tex -). Problems may arrise with
buggy (pdfwriter produced) files. Files produced by pdftex are processed
more efficiently when the fonts are known.

Another page killer is:

  texexec --pdfcomb --comb=2*2 filename.pdf

Saves some paper sometimes. I succesfully processed files with 1000+ pages.
[faq converted from html to pdf with acrobat]

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: extraction of pages from pdf docs?
@ 2000-05-08 20:23   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-08 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

>) (././IB_TEST.PDF
>! Text line contains an invalid character.
>l.82 H^^89ìÖ^^?
>               L^^SW^^\^^@ð×;À^^93^^9eG^^8fV-³`[Ú*s^^C
>?

Was this problem solved?