* Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 11:11 Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2000-05-12 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Seracu <dans@sintezis.rdsor.ro>
To: Ed Roozendaal <erooze@conceptsfa.nl>
Cc: NTG Context nl <ntg-context@nl.uu>
Sent: Friday, May 12, 2000 2:09 PM
Subject: Re: Inserting pictures

> Hi!
>
> First I had the same problem. It worked only when I put the images into
the
> same directory as the TeX files. In English version I used:
>
> \placefigure[here]{A title}{\externalfigure[thefigure][width=\textwidth]}}
>
> and it worked!
>
> Dan Seracu

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 12:31 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-12 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG Context

At 02:11 PM 5/12/2000 +0300, Dan Seracu wrote:

>> First I had the same problem. It worked only when I put the images into
>the
>> same directory as the TeX files. In English version I used:
>>
>> \placefigure[here]{A title}{\externalfigure[thefigure][width=\textwidth]}}
>>
>> and it worked!

When you say \traceexternalfigurestrue you get moire info on what context
is doing.

One can set up context to do a local and/or global search. By default
location={local,global}. The global paths are set by:

\setupexternalfigures[directory={somepath,anotherpath}]

So, it's all there once you know where to find it -)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 16:37   ` Ed Roozendaal
From: Ed Roozendaal @ 2000-05-12 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dan Seracu, NTG Context

Sorry to be such a pain, but it still doesn't work. Texexec keeps
telling me it can't find the picture. Even after I run texutil. I tried
all your suggestions, but nothing works. I even tried with other
pictures, and nothing happens.

What else could be wrong?
Ed

Hans Hagen wrote:

> > ----------

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 16:41     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-12 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

>Sorry to be such a pain, but it still doesn't work. Texexec keeps
>telling me it can't find the picture. Even after I run texutil. I tried
>all your suggestions, but nothing works. I even tried with other
>pictures, and nothing happens.
>
>What else could be wrong?

Try it the hard way:

\starttext

\externalfigure[test.pdf]
\externalfigure[test.jpg]

\stoptext

It really should work (it does here on a daily basis).

Keep in mind that eps is not supported in pdftex, only pdf, mps, jpg and png.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* RE: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 18:58     ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-12 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Sorry to be such a pain, but it still doesn't work. Texexec keeps
> telling me it can't find the picture.

Please give details from your logfile.

Hier a dutch example:

% interface=nl

\gebruikexternfiguur
	[FWerkbladRelatie]
	[]
	[type=png,schaal=600]

\starttext

\plaatsfiguur
	[]
	[fig:FWerkbladRelatie]
	{Werkblad, toont telefoonnummers van relaties}
	{\FWerkbladRelatie}

\stoptext

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 19:30       ` Ed Roozendaal
From: Ed Roozendaal @ 2000-05-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Ok, here it is. This is after I copied your example, but I already got
as far as this :-(.

----------------------------
paragraaf      : 1.3 Doelgroep
[8.3]
figuren        : maten van ./organigram.jpg geladen uit figuurfile zelf
(./afstudeer.tuo)
plaatsblokken  : 1 geplaatst
paragraaf      : 1.4 Automatisering
[9.4
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored!
Non-PDF special ignored! <./organigram.jpg>] [10.5]
----------------------------

I ran texutil before I ran texexec, but still no luck. I also tried to
convert the jpg to png, but that doesn't help either.

Groeten
Ed

* RE: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 20:43       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-12 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:58 PM 5/12/2000 +0200, Berend de Boer wrote:

>% interface=nl
>
>\gebruikexternfiguur
>	[FWerkbladRelatie]
>	[]
>	[type=png,schaal=600]
>
>\starttext
 \starttekst % dutch

>\plaatsfiguur
>	[]
>	[fig:FWerkbladRelatie]
>	{Werkblad, toont telefoonnummers van relaties}
>	{\FWerkbladRelatie}
       {\externfiguur[FWerkbkadRelatie]} % within namespace

>\stoptext
 \stoptekst % dutch

Using \externalfigure is safer, since there can be no nameclash. The macro
call is there for downward compatibility, and no name is defined when a
macro already exists. When the name passed to \externalfigure is not known
as defined by \useexternalfigure, it's threated as filename.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-12 20:46         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-12 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Berend de Boer, ntg-context

At 09:30 PM 5/12/2000 +0200, Ed Roozendaal wrote:

>figuren        : maten van ./organigram.jpg geladen uit figuurfile zelf
>(./afstudeer.tuo)
>plaatsblokken  : 1 geplaatst
>paragraaf      : 1.4 Automatisering
>[9.4
>Non-PDF special ignored!
>Non-PDF special ignored!
>Non-PDF special ignored!
>Non-PDF special ignored!
>Non-PDF special ignored! <./organigram.jpg>] [10.5]
>----------------------------

Hm. This is wrong, wrong driver. Use

  \setupoutput[pdftex]

or

  texexec --pdf filename

never set \pdfoutput=1 manually since a special driver needs to be loaded.
NEVER use pdftex primitives or specials directly!!!

>I ran texutil before I ran texexec, but still no luck. I also tried to
>convert the jpg to png, but that doesn't help either.

You don't need texutil, since pdftex can pick up the dimensions itself. You
can safely remove texutil.tuf.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-13 13:05           ` Ed Roozendaal
From: Ed Roozendaal @ 2000-05-13 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Berend de Boer, ntg-context

Hans Hagen wrote:

> > ----------

Ok, I tried this, and texexec finds the pictures, and inserts them as
well, but I still get that "Non-PDF special ignored" message. All the
pictures are placed at the bottom left of the screen. I haven't put in
anything, as you can see:

--------------
\gebruikexternfiguur
	[organigram]
	[]
	[type=jpg]
--------------
\starttekst

\plaatsfiguur
	[]
	[fig:organigram]
	{Organigram Bank Labouchere}
	{\externfiguur[organigram]}

\stoptekst
--------------

This is all I have entered. I even recreated the jpg files with
ImageMagick, because I thought  there might be something wrong with the
files. That didn't help.
I'll try converting the jpg files to pdf, maybe that will help. But is
there anything else I can do?

Thanks
Ed

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-15  7:14             ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-15  7:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 03:05 PM 5/13/2000 +0200, Ed Roozendaal wrote:

>Ok, I tried this, and texexec finds the pictures, and inserts them as

add \setupoutput[pdftex] before \starttext and try again; if this also
fails, goto the .../context/base path, erase everything, unzip the
cont-tmf.zip file in the ../texmf path. Run mktexlsr, say texexec --make
and try again. It looks like you have a messed up system.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Inserting pictures
@ 2000-05-15 21:42               ` Ed Roozendaal
From: Ed Roozendaal @ 2000-05-15 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> and try again. It looks like you have a messed up system.

Indeed, I messed up my system :-)
When I was trying to run texexec once more before I was going to replace
the context files, I saw something flash by saying something about
pdftex being old, or something.
So I downloaded a new version of pdftex and installed that. After
running mktexlsr and texexec --make, everything went smooth as a
whistle.
Thank you for all your patience, I was almost so desperate that I
considered going back to Word, but I'll stick to context now.

Thanks

Ed