* \index or \register
@ 2000-05-13 11:32 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-05-13 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello ConTeXies!

I'm "translating" a book from LaTeX to ConTeXt and do not understand
everything in the documentation...

- Is there a significant difference in ConTeXt between \index and
\register ?

- Is there a equivalent to LaTeX's
  \index{something|(} (much text) \index{something|)}
  that produces index entries for the whole range of text between the brackets

- Is ConTeXt \seeregister equivalent to LaTeX
\index{something|see{that}} ?
  Which text must/may go in which bracket of \seeregister[1]{2}{3}?

- Is there a macro for several index entries at once? (In LaTeX there isn't)
  e.g. \register{one;two;three}

Something other:
- Is \dots valid in ConTeXt? (I didn't find it in the docs)

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: \index or \register
@ 2000-05-13 15:48 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-05-13 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hi,

> Something other:
> - Is \dots valid in ConTeXt? (I didn't find it in the docs)
Well this is a plain \TeX\ command which is inherit by ConTeXt so it
works.
(fastest way to test: echo '\dots' > test.tex && texexec test)

Tobias

* Re: \index or \register
@ 2000-05-15  7:28 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-15  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 01:32 PM 5/13/2000 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>- Is there a significant difference in ConTeXt between \index and
>\register ?

There is no \register. You can say:

  \defineregister [whatever] [whatevers]

and use

  \whatever{entry}

afterwards. So, \index is a predefined \defineregister [index] [indices]

>- Is there a equivalent to LaTeX's
>  \index{something|(} (much text) \index{something|)}
>  that produces index entries for the whole range of text between the
brackets

Maybe you mean:

\startindex{something} much text \stopindex{something} ?

So, you may try:

\starttekst

test \startregister[index][oeps]{oeps}Some pretty long
text\stopregister[index][oeps] test

\plaatsregister[index]

\stoptekst

>- Is ConTeXt \seeregister equivalent to LaTeX
>\index{something|see{that}} ?
>  Which text must/may go in which bracket of \seeregister[1]{2}{3}?

\seeindex{something}{that}
\seeregister[index]{something}{that}

>- Is there a macro for several index entries at once? (In LaTeX there isn't)
>  e.g. \register{one;two;three}

It would make \index pretty complicated. There is however a system of
tagged index entries (for special typesetting); see beta manual.

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE