* typographic detail questions
@ 2000-05-26 18:15 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-05-26 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello again!

My book is "running" with its >250 pages, but it works not everything
like it should yet...

(1)
\seeindex{}{} produces with language=de in the register an entry with
"sieh"; that's wrong, it must sound "siehe".
Hans and the others at Pragma -- would you please change this?
In which file can I do the change myself?

(2)
I want my emphasized parts in italics in spite of slanted. The english manual
tells me to use "\setupfontenvironment", but the command seems to be unknown.

(3)
How can I define oldstyle numbers as standard? I don't want to tag every
number with "\os".
I fear, I need the expert fonts for Palatino. I've got them for MacOS --
can I use them?

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!

* RE: typographic detail questions
@ 2000-05-27  6:27 ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-05-27  6:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

> \seeindex{}{} produces with language=de in the register an entry with
> "sieh"; that's wrong, it must sound "siehe".
> Hans and the others at Pragma -- would you please change this?
> In which file can I do the change myself?

You can use a tool like grep (Unix) or findstr (NT) to search for text in
files. Here a demonstration of grep.

Go to your context directory and issue grep -n

# cd /usr/local/share/texmf/tex/context/base
# grep -n sieh *.tex
lang-ger.tex:601:\setuplabeltext [\s!de] [\v!hierboven=siehe oben]
lang-ger.tex:602:\setuplabeltext [\s!de] [\v!hieronder=siehe unten]
lang-ger.tex:603:\setuplabeltext [\s!de]       [\v!zie=sieh ]
mult-con.tex:1284:                zie:  zie                  see
sieh
mult-con.tex:1553:                zie:  zie                  see
sieh

Below grep you see the files and linenumbers (because of the `-n') where
sieh is found.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: typographic detail questions / oldstyle
@ 2000-05-27 20:08 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-27 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 08:15 PM 5/26/2000 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>(1)
>\seeindex{}{} produces with language=de in the register an entry with
>"sieh"; that's wrong, it must sound "siehe".
>Hans and the others at Pragma -- would you please change this?

You make it sound like there are hundreds of us here -)

>In which file can I do the change myself?

See berend's mail.

>(2)
>I want my emphasized parts in italics in spite of slanted. The english manual
>tells me to use "\setupfontenvironment", but the command seems to be unknown.

oeps, error: \setupbodyfontenvironment

>(3)
>How can I define oldstyle numbers as standard? I don't want to tag every
>number with "\os".
>I fear, I need the expert fonts for Palatino. I've got them for MacOS --
>can I use them?

\definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [WhateverFontName]

some very {\os 123} numbers

[frans goddijn would have strangled me (kindly) already if context could
not do oldstyle nummerals]

You may like to redefine:

\defineconversion[number] [\os]
\defineconversion[numbers][\os]

[in itemize, there is the [m] option to get oldstyle numerals]

Maybe I should make os a switch like em. A tedious job, since I have to
locate all places where context generated numbers.

Hans

[typical faq stuff btw, but currently I lack the time to maintain one]

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: typographic detail questions / oldstyle
@ 2000-05-27 22:59   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-05-27 22:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> >Hans and the others at Pragma -- would you please change this?
> You make it sound like there are hundreds of us here -)

I didn't know it better... :-)

> >In which file can I do the change myself?
> See berend's mail.

Thanks to you both -- I changed it.

> >I fear, I need the expert fonts for Palatino. I've got them for MacOS --
> >can I use them?
> \definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [WhateverFontName]

Sorry, I mixed it up -- it's more a question of OS than of TeX --
I'm not sure about converting MacOS fonts to Linux.
(It's illegal, I know...)

> [frans goddijn would have strangled me (kindly) already if context could
> not do oldstyle nummerals]
> Maybe I should make os a switch like em. A tedious job, since I have to
> locate all places where context generated numbers.

Wouldn't it be senseful to make a switch in \setupbodyfontenvironment ?

> [typical faq stuff btw, but currently I lack the time to maintain one]
I'm pretty sure to ask FAQ stuff all the time... ;-(
BTW: The german LaTeX-FAQ is great! It was a valuable help, when I
started TeXing!

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: typographic detail questions / oldstyle
@ 2000-05-29  7:28     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-05-29  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 12:59 AM 5/28/2000 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>> >I fear, I need the expert fonts for Palatino. I've got them for MacOS --
>> >can I use them?
>> \definefontsynonym [OldStyle] [WhateverFontName]
>
>Sorry, I mixed it up -- it's more a question of OS than of TeX --
>I'm not sure about converting MacOS fonts to Linux.
>(It's illegal, I know...)

Maybe you can do with an virtual font def, in which case the original si
unchanged. Many fonts have tfm's and vf's already. Did you analyze your
texmf/fonts path on that?

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE