* Articles & Spread titles
@ 2000-06-20 10:56 ` Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2000-06-20 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

I have three questions regarding book design in ConTeXt:
1. How can I typeset articles (from PDF viewpoint). I know there is a
special command in pdftex, but is there any in ConTeXt?
2. Is it possible for a title to spread accross the margins?
3. Can I use PSTricks in a ConTeXt document?

Dan Seracu

* RE: Articles & Spread titles
@ 2000-06-20 16:39   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-06-20 16:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 2. Is it possible for a title to spread accross the margins?

Of course, use the standard tex \hss.

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: Articles & Spread titles
@ 2000-06-21 14:58   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-06-21 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

Dan Seracu <dans@sintezis.rdsor.ro> writes:

> Hello!
>
> I have three questions regarding book design in ConTeXt:
> 1. How can I typeset articles (from PDF viewpoint). I know there is a
> special command in pdftex, but is there any in ConTeXt?

What do you mean?  I don't know of any pdftex primitive for articles.
If you mean plain tex, I still don't know of any plain tex command for
articles.  Hmm.

> 2. Is it possible for a title to spread accross the margins?

Sure.  As DJ Delorie once said, "Of course it's possible!  It's a
computer!"  I don't, however, know the best way to do this in
context.

> 3. Can I use PSTricks in a ConTeXt document?

I avoid PSTricks because it doesn't work with pdftex, since it relies
on "\special"s and post-processing by dvips.  I find MetaPost easier
to use, and more powerful too, and it works seemlessly with pdftex.

Context has great support for MetaPost.

For more info, find the stuff on www.tug.org or go directly to:

    http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/hobby/MetaPost.html

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: Articles & Spread titles
@ 2000-06-22  7:54     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-22  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Dan Seracu, NTG ConTeXt

At 10:58 AM 6/21/00 -0400, Ed L Cashin wrote:
>Dan Seracary u <dans@sintezis.rdsor.ro> writes:
>
>> Hello!
>>
>> I have three questions regarding book design in ConTeXt:
>> 1. How can I typeset articles (from PDF viewpoint). I know there is a
>> special command in pdftex, but is there any in ConTeXt?
>
>What do you mean?  I don't know of any pdftex primitive for articles.
>If you mean plain tex, I still don't know of any plain tex command for
>articles.  Hmm.

There is, in pdf, something called article threads. Rather useless, since
it does semi arbitrary scaling. It's in acrobat to accomodate tabloid
newspapers to be readable on the screen.

>> 2. Is it possible for a title to spread accross the margins?
>
>Sure.  As DJ Delorie once said, "Of course it's possible!  It's a
>computer!"  I don't, however, know the best way to do this in
>context.

What exactly is meant by 'spread across the margins'.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
  tel: +31 (0)38 477 53 69 | fax: +31 (0)38 477 53 74 | www.pragma-ade.nl

* Re: Articles & Spread Titles
@ 2000-06-22 11:51 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-06-22 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

At 01:17 PM 6/22/00 +0300, Dan Seracu wrote:
>Hello!
>
>By "spread titles" I mean a title that can spread accross the page,
>including the margin side (where usually the \inmargin{...} paragraphs
>are)

untested:

\def\MyHead#1#2%
  {\hskip-\leftmargindistance
   \hskip-\leftmarginwidth
   \ruledvbox % \vbox, but ruled for testing
     {\adddimenregister
        \textwidth
        \leftmargindistance
        \leftmarginwidth
      \to \hsize
      #1\hskip24pt#2}}

\setuphead[chapter][command=\MyHead]

A bit of programming I admit, but not that complicated.

@ 2000-06-22 10:17 Dan Seracu