* figures
@ 2000-07-03 19:03 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-03 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's no end...

FIRST:

I tried the construction from "ConTeXt -- an excursion"
to place two pictures side by side:

\placefigure[here][symbols]{none}
\startcombination[2*1]
{\externalfigure[sym1]}{Text about Symbol 1}
{\externalfigure[sym2]}{Text about Symbol 2}
\stopcombination

The pictures are rather small round logos,
and their descriprion must be wider than them.
How can I give more horizontal space to them?

I tried something like \hbox{\strut This is some text}
within the first curly braces, but the text is visible.

SECOND:

I'd like to use a logo like a letter and defined:

\useexternalfigure[logo1][logofile][height=1em]
\define\textlogo{\hbox{\externalfigure[logo1]}}

I'm happy that it's auto-scaling with the "em",
but it hangs a bit above the base line of the
text, but should be on it. How must I change
my definition?

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
-------------------
http://angerweit.tikon.ch/
http://www.planet-interkom.de/fiee.visuelle/formelsammlung.html

* Re: figures
@ 2000-07-04  6:48 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-04  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 09:03 PM 7/3/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>There's no end...

Well, lucky me then, that I still have some answers and options in store.

>I tried the construction from "ConTeXt -- an excursion"
>to place two pictures side by side:
>
>\placefigure[here][symbols]{none}
>\startcombination[2*1]
>{\externalfigure[sym1]}{Text about Symbol 1}
>{\externalfigure[sym2]}{Text about Symbol 2}
>\stopcombination
>
>The pictures are rather small round logos,
>and their descriprion must be wider than them.
>How can I give more horizontal space to them?

How about something:

\startbuffer
\setupcombinations[width=4cm]
\startcombination
\stopcombination

\placefigure[here][..]{none}{\getbuffer}

>SECOND:
>
>I'd like to use a logo like a letter and defined:
>
>\useexternalfigure[logo1][logofile][height=1em]
>\define\textlogo{\hbox{\externalfigure[logo1]}}
>
>I'm happy that it's auto-scaling with the "em",
>but it hangs a bit above the base line of the
>text, but should be on it. How must I change
>my definition?

Something like:

\def\koe{\sbox{\externalfigure[koe][height=\lineheight]}}

test test \koe\ test test test test \koe\ test test test
test \koe\ test test test test \koe\ test test test test
\koe\ test test test test \koe\ test test test test \koe\
test test

[so, \sbox does the trick, alternative:

\hbox{\lower.2ex\hbox{your fig}}
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: figures
@ 2000-07-05 16:15     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-05 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 07:20 PM 7/5/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>> \startbuffer
>> \setupcombinations[width=4cm]
>> \startcombination
>> \stopcombination
>>
>> \placefigure[here][..]{none}{\getbuffer}
>
>Is it necessary to use this buffer construction? Why?

Not necessary but it simply looks better in code, as well as there is less
chance on {} errors [it also groups the setup command nicely]

>I changed my file in this way. It's better than before,
>but the text stays only as wide as the logo (and is
>therefore wrapped horribly).
>Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: I need a space of e.g.
>5 cm for the logo (which is 2 cm wide itself). In this
>space it should be centered, the describing text should
>wrap at the whole width (5 cm).
>

>> \def\koe{\sbox{\externalfigure[koe][height=\lineheight]}}
>> [so, \sbox does the trick, alternative:
>
>Yes, that's ok.
>
>> \hbox{\lower.2ex\hbox{your fig}}
>
>It's useful at another place.

\hbox to 5cm{\hss\sbox{\hbox{oeps}}\hss}

One way of doing these things is using framed and packing them together.

\hbox
  {\framed[width=5cm,height=5cm]{figure}%
   \framed[width=10cm,height=5cm]{some text}}

etc. Turn of the frame, set the offset to 'overlay' and done.

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: figures
@ 2000-07-05 17:20   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-05 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Well, lucky me then, that I still have some answers and options in store.

I thank you for your patience with me.

\x03> \startbuffer
> \setupcombinations[width=4cm]
> \startcombination
> \stopcombination
>
> \placefigure[here][..]{none}{\getbuffer}

Is it necessary to use this buffer construction? Why?

I changed my file in this way. It's better than before,
but the text stays only as wide as the logo (and is
therefore wrapped horribly).
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough: I need a space of e.g.
5 cm for the logo (which is 2 cm wide itself). In this
space it should be centered, the describing text should
wrap at the whole width (5 cm).

> \def\koe{\sbox{\externalfigure[koe][height=\lineheight]}}
> [so, \sbox does the trick, alternative:

Yes, that's ok.

> \hbox{\lower.2ex\hbox{your fig}}

It's useful at another place.

Grüßlis vom Hraban!
-------------------

@ 2012-06-14  8:07 ` Steffen Wolfrum
From: Steffen Wolfrum @ 2012-06-14  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nice feature!

Thanks,
Steffen

Am 14.06.2012 um 09:56 schrieb Hans Hagen:

> Hi,
>
> I probably forgot to tell, but since a fee betas we have
>
> \setupexternalfigures
>  [order={pdf,png,jpg},
>   directory={./images},
>   ..]
>
> i.e. the order key can enforce the quality order as well as limit the amount of lookups (which saves time when images are -still- missing)
>
> Hans

>    tel: 038 477 53 69 | voip: 087 875 68 74 | www.pragma-ade.com

* figures
@ 2012-06-14  7:56 Hans Hagen