From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ConTeXt <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: chapter and part titles
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 02:42:56 +0200	[thread overview]

At 11:02 PM 7/14/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>(1)
>I look for a possibility to tell ConTeXt to use a shorter version of a
>chapter title for the header and for the table of contents, such like
>
>\chapter[ref:chapter][The long chapter]{This is a very, very long
>chapter}

\chapter{some text \nomarking{whatever} and some more}

I fear the to is not handled. You can so something:

\def\nocontent#1{#1}

an when placing the content:

\def\nocontent#1{...}

but it should actually be a feature. I'll add it when I extend / cleanup
the sectioning.

>I want to layout my part start pages as follows:
>- a papersized picture in the background
>- Text e.g.: "Part IV: The end"
>- a motto, that shouldn't appear in the toc
>
>I tried (without the third item):
>
>\useexternalfigure[hintergrund][part][]

I assume that part (part.pdf or part.jpg or so) is a figure?

>\defineoverlay[titelbild]
>[{\externalfigure[hintergrund][width=\overlaywidth,height=\overlayheight]}]
>\setupheads[\x03]

??

>\setuphead[part][style=\tfd\it, page=right, header=empty,
>background=titelbild, number=yes, align=left, numberstyle=Romannumerals,
>right={: }]
>
>That's not working. How would it work?

Parts are always kind of special, so they seldom fit in the general
mechanism. How about:

\setuphead
  [part]
  [command=\MyPart,
   style=,
   placehead=yes,
   number=yes]

\useexternalfigure[cow][cow][factor=max]

\def\MyPart#1#2%
  {\bfd #1 : #2}

\def\StartPart#1#2%
  {\page
   \defineoverlay[somepage][{\externalfigure[#1]}]
   \setupbackgrounds[page][background=somepage]
   \startstandardmakeup
   \part{#2}
   \vfill}

\def\StopPart%
  {\stopstandardmakeup
   \setupbackgrounds[page][background=]}

\StartPart {cow} {ONE}

some funny motto

\StopPart

\StartPart {cow} {TWO}

some funny motto

\StopPart

Of course you need a cow to let this work; factor=max makes the picture
scale to fit best.

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE