* (no) hyphenation
@ 2000-07-14 21:10 Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-14 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there a way to forbide hyphenation in titles?
Perhaps with an option of \setupheads?

Is there an other way than \hbox{} to forbide
hyphenation of one single word (not overall)?
(I thought of \-together, but the - is visible.)

What's the correct way to wrap an title manually
so that it appears unwrapped in page header and table of contents?

hraban.

* Re: (no) hyphenation
@ 2000-07-17  0:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-17  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 11:10 PM 7/14/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Is there a way to forbide hyphenation in titles?
>Perhaps with an option of \setupheads?

\nohyphens

tolerance=verytolerant

align=....

>Is there an other way than \hbox{} to forbide
>hyphenation of one single word (not overall)?
>(I thought of \-together, but the - is visible.)

\hbox is ok or {\nohyphens word}

Unfortunately there is not mucn control in tex, especially because some
settings are paragraph wide.

>What's the correct way to wrap an title manually

\crlf and \\ can be used to [one for header, the other for toc)

>so that it appears unwrapped in page header and table of contents?

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: (no) hyphenation
@ 2000-07-17 23:28   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-17 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> >Is there a way to forbide hyphenation in titles?
> align=....

I had align=left already; alone it doesn't suppress hyphenation.

> >Is there an other way than \hbox{} to forbide
> >hyphenation of one single word (not overall)?
>
> \hbox is ok or {\nohyphens word}

\hbox is bad, because it makes overfull lines
I'll try the other.

> Unfortunately there is not mucn control in tex, especially because some
> settings are paragraph wide.

And I thought, TeX would be able to do *everything* ...
(Telling so myself to the people)

hraban.

* Re: (no) hyphenation
@ 2000-07-19  7:13     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-19  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 01:28 AM 7/18/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:

>And I thought, TeX would be able to do *everything* ...
>(Telling so myself to the people)

I can assure you that there are many thinks tex cannot do. You would be
surprised to see how much time is spent on programming things that seem
simple. Did you know that tex cannot do double columns? You can fake them,
which is what happens. There are also things tex can do that people think
tex cannot do. The metafun manual I'm working on shows some.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: (no) hyphenation
@ 2000-07-19 12:56       ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-07-19 12:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Hraban, ConTeXt

Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:

> At 01:28 AM 7/18/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>
> >And I thought, TeX would be able to do *everything* ...
> >(Telling so myself to the people)
>
> I can assure you that there are many thinks tex cannot do. You would
> be surprised to see how much time is spent on programming things
> that seem simple. Did you know that tex cannot do double columns?
> You can fake them, which is what happens.

I know it must be very difficult to fake multiple-column output,
because so many macropackages have trouble with this feature.  This is
off topic, but I'm curious to know: do the new typesetting projects
like omega and NTS have built-in multicolumn support?

> There are also things tex can do that people think tex cannot
> do. The metafun manual I'm working on shows some.

Yes, but that's cheating, because you are finding ways to have TeX and
MetaPost dancing gracefully together!  TeX alone would not be such a
show stopper on the graphics dance floor.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: (no) hyphenation
@ 2000-07-19 14:36         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-19 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 08:56 AM 7/19/00 -0400, Ed L Cashin wrote:
>Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl> writes:
>
>> At 01:28 AM 7/18/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>>
>> >And I thought, TeX would be able to do *everything* ...
>> >(Telling so myself to the people)
>>
>> I can assure you that there are many thinks tex cannot do. You would
>> be surprised to see how much time is spent on programming things
>> that seem simple. Did you know that tex cannot do double columns?
>> You can fake them, which is what happens.
>
>I know it must be very difficult to fake multiple-column output,
>because so many macropackages have trouble with this feature.  This is
>off topic, but I'm curious to know: do the new typesetting projects
>like omega and NTS have built-in multicolumn support?

No, omega is tex with foreign language support and NTS-0 is just tex.
Personally I think that much discussion is needed to uncover what is really
needed. Probably more low level support and flow control, accompanied by
high level macros. If that kind of thinsg is there, I can adapt context
quite easy, since I've isolated most code.

>> There are also things tex can do that people think tex cannot
>> do. The metafun manual I'm working on shows some.
>
>Yes, but that's cheating, because you are finding ways to have TeX and
>MetaPost dancing gracefully together!  TeX alone would not be such a
>show stopper on the graphics dance floor.

Well, since tex came with mf (and fonts) and later mp, i consider them a
happy couple. Although, a real pipeline would be best.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: metafun
@ 2000-07-24 20:20       ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-07-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> tex cannot do. The metafun manual I'm working on shows some.

I'm on the edge for it! :-)

--
*corvus tecum*
  -_hraban_-