From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: A couple more...
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:57:50 +0200	[thread overview]

At 01:00 AM 7/28/00 -0700, David Arnold wrote:
>All,
>
>I can use Exchange to disable printing of the screen document. But I would
>like to have a button in the screen document menu entitled "print."
>However, it would not print the screen document. Rather, it would print the
>document created with my "letter" mode (call it doc.print.pdf). How can I
>create such a button in the menu of my screen document? Is there a way to
>default it? For example, when the "print" button is pushed, the document
>filename is read (say it's doc.pdf) and then the file doc.print.pdf is
>printed. Possible?

There is a far more advanced method.

Say that you have a screen version and a paper one. You can crosslink them.
In the screen version you say:

\coupledocument
  [alternative]
  [doc-let]
  [chapter,section,subsection]
  [The Alternative Version]

\setuphead
  [chapter,section,subsection]
  [file=alternative]

and the paper version you use [doc-scr] instead, given that you have both
those files. Run them a couple of times and you will notice that you can
click on titles and go from screen to paper annd vise versa.

In a similar fashion, you can automatically print subranges, say chapters
only, without the need to fill in pages in the print screen.

Say:

\setupsubpagenumbering
  [way=bychapter,
   state=start]

\useJSscripts[fil]

Now you can make a button:

\goto{Print Chapter}[PrintSubPages]

and voila, another small secret uncovered.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE