* Crude, but a start!
@ 2000-07-30 21:55 David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2000-07-30 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

All,

I've attached a little pdf that does a crude demonstration of bisecting a
line segment. Source is available. Graphics were drawn with Metapost. At
some time in the future, I will incorporate them in the document itself,
instead of the external arrangement I have now.

It's crude, but I feel it's a pretty good start. Things that need to be done:

1. It walks through the fieldstack and then cycles to the beginning after
the last slide. What's needed are buttons to cycle both forward and
backward through the field stack. I need the JS commands to accomplish that.

2. It would be nicer without the figure caption. Indeed, what would be a
really useful design would be to click on a button, have the next slide
shown, and text describing the slide appear at the bottom of the page.
Things like: "Start by connecting points A and B with a line segment."

3. Another possible design would be to put the figure in a left column,
then bullets appear in the right column explaining each slide. Current
bullet colored, say, in blue, to match the current blue construction.

I'd love to hear from folks on this list on how I can accomplish some of
these ideas. Feel free to play with my sources.

[-- Attachment #2: bisect.zip --]
[-- Type: application/zip, Size: 22383 bytes --]

-
David Arnold
College of the Redwoods
Mathematics Department
7351 Tompkins Hill Road
Eureka, CA 95501
(707) 476-4222

My Home Page
http://online.redwoods.cc.ca.us/instruct/darnold/index.htm

Ordinary Differential Equations Using Matlab
http://www.prenhall.com/books/esm_0130113816.html

* Re: Crude, but a start!
@ 2000-07-31  8:45 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-07-31  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 02:55 PM 7/30/00 -0700, David Arnold wrote:
>All,
>
>I've attached a little pdf that does a crude demonstration of bisecting a
>line segment. Source is available. Graphics were drawn with Metapost. At
>some time in the future, I will incorporate them in the document itself,
>instead of the external arrangement I have now.
>
>It's crude, but I feel it's a pretty good start. Things that need to be done:

A stepwise source build would help, and as you know, this is supported -)
In this kind of graphics you need to set the bounding box for each picture
to be the same, so that the lines don't jump.

>1. It walks through the fieldstack and then cycles to the beginning after
>the last slide. What's needed are buttons to cycle both forward and
>backward through the field stack. I need the JS commands to accomplish that.

That is not to hard, since some ++ will become -- in java-fld.tex. I need
to clean up the code anyway.

>2. It would be nicer without the figure caption. Indeed, what would be a
>really useful design would be to click on a button, have the next slide
>shown, and text describing the slide appear at the bottom of the page.
>Things like: "Start by connecting points A and B with a line segment."

You could put the call to the JS code anywhere.

>3. Another possible design would be to put the figure in a left column,
>then bullets appear in the right column explaining each slide. Current
>bullet colored, say, in blue, to match the current blue construction.

Ah, and then connect the graphic to the text pointing and so.

>I'd love to hear from folks on this list on how I can accomplish some of
>these ideas. Feel free to play with my sources.

I may consider adding something like this as advanced example to the
metafun manual.

I will look into it later.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE