* Re: txmf.cnf answer
@ 2000-08-17 15:15 Frans Goddijn
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.10.10008171756010.10402-100000@panter.soci.aau. dk>
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-08-17 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

sorry for that last question, because I managed to find the answer; I honestly thought my ability to solve these things myself was
exhausted, but I had overlooked the "main-memory" setting in txmf.cnf. When I changed that value to 1100000 as it was for ConTeXt,
the formats were produced wonderfully.

I was surprised to see that they are called like cont-nl.efmt where I had expected them to be *.fmt but I guess I need to do some
reading about the new TeX varieties. I saw mention of PDFetex instead of the familiar PDFtex so I guess there's an e in all these
names suddenly ;-))

Groet!

Frans

frans@goddijn.com   www.goddijn.com
tel NL 0621-815 881   fax: 026-3211759
Postbus 30196      6803 AD  Arnhem NL

* Re: txmf.cnf answer
@ 2000-08-17 15:58 ` Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.10.10008171756010.10402-100000@panter.soci.aau. dk>
From: Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen @ 2000-08-17 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Frans Goddijn wrote:

> I was surprised to see that they are called like cont-nl.efmt where I had expected them to be *.fmt but I guess I need to do some
> reading about the new TeX varieties. I saw mention of PDFetex instead of the familiar PDFtex so I guess there's an e in all these
> names suddenly ;-

pdfetex (and not pdftex) is an enhanced version, it is a merge from etex and
pdftex. Context runs better with pdfetex, since context actually uses these
enhanced things (but don't ask me what in specific)

Gilbert.

* Re: txmf.cnf answer
       [not found] ` <Pine.LNX.4.10.10008171756010.10402-100000@panter.soci.aau. dk>
@ 2000-08-21  8:40   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-08-21  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 05:58 PM 8/17/00 +0200, Gilbert van den Dobbelsteen wrote:
>On Thu, 17 Aug 2000, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>
>> I was surprised to see that they are called like cont-nl.efmt where I
had expected them to be *.fmt but I guess I need to do some
>> reading about the new TeX varieties. I saw mention of PDFetex instead of
the familiar PDFtex so I guess there's an e in all these
>> names suddenly ;-
>

>pdfetex (and not pdftex) is an enhanced version, it is a merge from etex and
>pdftex. Context runs better with pdfetex, since context actually uses these
>enhanced things (but don't ask me what in specific)

It runs (on some jobs) some 5% faster. When you browse the source code, you
will find sections like \

  \beginTEX .... \endTEX

and

  \beginETEX ... \endETEX

that implement low level macros in two ways, depending on the (e)tex used.
There are a few places where etex is more robust, especially when tricky
expansion is used.

In a similar way, I can (and will) support specific pdftex and omega
features.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE