From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: <ntg-context@let.uu.nl>
Subject: Re: footnotes in poetry environment
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:42:44 +0200	[thread overview]

At 05:18 PM 8/19/00 +0200, Frans Goddijn wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm happy and tremendously impressed with how the system works. Perl
operates beautifully, one would almost forget it's there at
>all, and ConTeXt and PDFeTeX are producing interactive PDF screen output
as if it's easy as anything, generating MPgraphs on the
>fly. Still, there's a question that I hope anyone can answer.
>
>In a book that I'm typesetting there's a few verses of poetry and and
footnote with these. The problem is that the footnote text is
>also displayed exactly as typed: with line breaks where they were in the
source file.

>Is there a way for me to correct this?
>
>The example test file (using an a propos verse that Hans once wrote me:)
>
>\steluitvoerin[pdftex]
>
>\starttekst
>
>\startregels
>Frans, beste jongen, wat zou j'ervan zeggen
>Als wij met z'n tweeen gedichten gaan texen
>Jou kennende heb je natuurlijk weer pech en
>Zal email jou uit het moeras moeten dreggen%
>\voetnoot{Dit is een test
>om te zien of een voetnoot in een regels||environment
>ook regelig wordt gezet.}
>\stopregels
>
>\stoptekst

Since you are in \startregels (\startlines), all line breaks are honored,
even those in footnotes.

In this case you may want to use

  ik wist niet dat Frans kon dichten \crlf
  maar zijn schrijfkunst was bekend  \crlf
  moge tex zijn werk verlichten      \crlf
  als hij zijn meters rijmwerk pent

I will see if I can fix footnotes in this particular case.

If you can come up with a detailed description of what poetry needs, I can
make a command for it.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE