From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Wanting to learn plain TeX
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2000 22:45:47 +0200	[thread overview]

At 07:57 PM 9/4/00 +0200, Robert F. Beeger wrote:
>Hi!
>
>Thanks for the tips to Hans and Marcus.
>I'll take a look on some of this books in the near future.
>
>And maybe I'm also going to read the TeX-Book itself.
>I've read some positive reviews of it at amazon.de.
>I'd thought Knuth's books to be full of ununderstandable math and
>typesetting Chinese.

There is a russian version of the texbook, maybe even japanese, but chinese
... i don't know. There are some chinese names in his books however. The
good old tex book has no chinese, so that simplies it a bit -)

Context does chinese and will do it better some day soon. Looking at the
glyphs will convince you that chinese is worth looking at, but I admit that
I cannot read it. But, Wang Lei is working on a tutorial.

The nice thing about the tex book is that you can read it many times and
the more you know about tex, the more new things you will discover. Unless
you want to write your own macro package, you can safely skip half of it,
unless you want to get a feeling about what is involved.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE