* Re: confusing <, >
@ 2000-09-04 14:37 ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-09-04 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can do that one!

try $<$

Groet!

frans@iaf.nl  www.goddijn.com
Pb 30196 6803 AD Arnhem NL
tel (+31)[0]621-815-881 fax (+31)[0]26-3211.759

From: berend @ 2000-09-04 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hraban wrote:

> If I use < or > in my text, it becomes "spanish" ! and ? (¡, ¿)
> I thought these characters could be used "plain"?
> Must I use some macro? I tried \< \less \textless (only errors).
>
> (I've got tables with symbols only for LaTeX, sorry)

Try:

	{\tttf <}

or

	\type{<}

The < in your input maps to a different character in your font table
than you expect. Switching to typewriter fonts usually works fine.

--
Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: confusing <, >
@ 2000-09-04 15:20   ` Frans Goddijn
From: Frans Goddijn @ 2000-09-04 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend wrote:

> Try:
> {\tttf <}
> or
> \type{<}

your examples work as well, but they use another font. To my eye the $<$
looks thinner, lighter and maybe that's better if it's used in a text
environment or in formulas when the numbers are also not in the typewriter
font.

Groet!

frans

* Re: confusing <, >
@ 2000-09-04 15:37 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-04 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 06:16 PM 9/4/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>Hello!
>
>If I use < or > in my text, it becomes "spanish" ! and ? (¡, ¿)
>I thought these characters could be used "plain"?
>Must I use some macro? I tried \< \less \textless (only errors).
>
>(I've got tables with symbols only for LaTeX, sorry)

The computer modern have those spanish symbols in those slots, but since <
and > are either math of verbose, using $<$ or \type{<} is ok.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* confusing <, >
@ 2000-09-04 16:16 Hraban
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Hraban @ 2000-09-04 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello!

If I use < or > in my text, it becomes "spanish" ! and ? (¡, ¿)
I thought these characters could be used "plain"?
Must I use some macro? I tried \< \less \textless (only errors).

(I've got tables with symbols only for LaTeX, sorry)

Hraban.

* Re: confusing <, >
@ 2000-09-05 13:58   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-09-05 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

> The computer modern have those spanish symbols in those slots, but since <
> and > are either math of verbose, using $<$ or \type{<} is ok.

Thank you all!

I should have thinked of $ myself, sorry.

Strange, that 7-bit-ascii-chars are mapped "wrong"...

Hraban.

* Re: confusing <, >
@ 2000-09-05 21:16     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-05 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 03:58 PM 9/5/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>> The computer modern have those spanish symbols in those slots, but since <
>> and > are either math of verbose, using $<$ or \type{<} is ok.
>
>Thank you all!
>
>I should have thinked of $ myself, sorry.
>
>Strange, that 7-bit-ascii-chars are mapped "wrong"...

If you want to test this:

\definefont[SomeFont][filename] \SomeFont

\dorecurse{255}{\hbox{\recurselevel: \char\recurselevel}\quad}

If you compare cmr fonts you will even notice differences in encoding
between cmr* ones, like dollar and pound.

The most interesting thing is the missing space! TeX has no real space,
only skips. Used to be a problem with acrobat, who optimized based on
char32 being space.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE