From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: ntg-context@ntg.nl
Subject: Re: Foreign Languages
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 12:04:30 +0200	[thread overview]

At 09:13 PM 9/11/00 +0200, you wrote:

>The first one is support for multiple languages. That is, I'd like to know
>if ConTeXt has anything similar to babel, and, if not, how can similar
>results be achieved.

It's all there.

  texexec --make --alone --language=en,it en

should give you:

0 words of font info for 0 preloaded fonts
57 hyphenation exceptions
Hyphenation trie of length 30696 has 798 ops out of 1501
  265 for language 8
  86 for language 6
  235 for language 5
  31 for language 3
  181 for language 2
No pages of output.
Transcript written on cont-en.log.

   additional patterns : en,it
      default language : en

            TeX binary : pdfetex
             format(s) : en

So, after that, when you run the english interface, you should be able to
switch to italian by saying

\mainlanguage[it]

You will find more about labels and so in lang-ita.tex.

>The second one is support for bibliography: can BibTeX be used with ConTeXt?

yes, using tacos (preliminary) bibtex module

>The third one is about math. I do lots of mathematics, and I found AMS LaTeX
>very powerfull for my needs. From what I got reading the manual, I can
>surely have features like \newtheorem and alike in ConTeXt, with no problem
>(and maybe even with more power on customization); but, I haven't found
>anything about mathematics; can I use AMSTeX on ConTeXt?

yes, using tacos (preliminary) math module

>One last thing: I'd like to support/contribute to ConTeXt, helping in
>developing an italian interface and possibly translating the ConTeXt manual
>(when it will be complete). What can/should I do?

You may want to take a look at

(1) mult-com.tex
(2) mult-con.tex

where the translation tables are located and

(3) grep on \startmessages

Of course there should be some coordination in this effort but it's not
even that much work.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE