* Re: Enumerating paragraphs
@ 2000-09-20  2:31 Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2000-09-20  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks Ed L Cashin for your solution.  I had read section 12
in the beginner's manual but it takes an especially devious mind to
invent a wrapper macro around the paragraph formatting macro.  Your
reference to the Count was much more obvious (I guess I watch too much
Sesame St.).

Thanks Hans Hagen for your reply.  I'm continually amazed at what
you've packed into ConTeXt, the \inleft command is exactly what I
want.

* [Q] \inleft [was Re: Enumerating paragraphs]
@ 2000-09-20  2:53 ` Hans Fredrik Nordhaug
From: Hans Fredrik Nordhaug @ 2000-09-20  2:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20 Sep 2000, Guy Worthington wrote:

> Thanks Hans Hagen for your reply.  I'm continually amazed at what
> you've packed into ConTeXt, the \inleft command is exactly what I
> want.

Hi, a newbie question coming up:

Is there any difference between \inleft and \llap?
If not, is there a lot of commands in ConTeXt that just are wrappers
around plain TeX commands? [Anyway \inleft was a good name.]

Regards Hans Fredrik,

   Hans Fredrik Nordhaug       | web:    www.mi.uib.no/~hansfn
    Ph.D. student at           | phone:    (+47) 55 58 48 79
    Department of Mathematics, | fax:      (+47) 55 58 96 72
    University of Bergen       | e-mail:    hanfn@mi.uib.no
   Fall 2000: Visiting at the Department of Civil Engineering,
                        Princeton University.

* Re: [Q] \inleft [was Re: Enumerating paragraphs]
@ 2000-09-20  8:16   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-20  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 10:53 PM 9/19/00 -0400, Hans Fredrik Nordhaug wrote:
>On 20 Sep 2000, Guy Worthington wrote:
>
>> Thanks Hans Hagen for your reply.  I'm continually amazed at what
>> you've packed into ConTeXt, the \inleft command is exactly what I
>> want.
>
>Hi, a newbie question coming up:
>
>Is there any difference between \inleft and \llap?
>If not, is there a lot of commands in ConTeXt that just are wrappers
>around plain TeX commands? [Anyway \inleft was a good name.]

Concerning \llap, that plain one is reimplemented (liek a few more) to be
more robust in tricky situations.

Concerning \inleft, this is definitely a different command, since it takes
care of proper placement with regards to the left margin distance; the
\inleft \inright \inmargin \margintitle commands take multiples lines and
go to a far extend to align properly; \margintitle also stacks marginal
things that can then be placed at given locations with given characteristics

[some more margin trickery is in beta stage here, esp proper alignment with
math formulas]

Concerning plain wrappers, i never counted the lines, but context is
written mostly from scratch (for me it was the only way to learn tex),
plain is there for as far as useful, and most of plain is low level stuff
needed for math and basic housekeeping; if you look in syst-tex, you will
notice that I bypass some plain defs [overloading] like fonts.

BTW, plain tex in itself does not offer much typo things. I used to load
the etex format too, but now I just implement the additional register
things myself and the rest is not needed anyway. For some users it's
comfortable to have the plain stuff available, so i leave it there.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* [Q] \inleft [was Re: Enumerating paragraphs]
@ 2000-09-20 12:51 Guy Worthington
From: Guy Worthington @ 2000-09-20 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the superficial reply I'm not a ConTeXt evangelist.

My original plain TeX macro (which I'd cite if it wasn't archived in
the bin) didn't align the margin number with the paragraph.
The \inleft command does.

I'm happy with the following layout:

% Enumerate paragraphs
\newcounter\ParNum
\def\GuyPar{\doglobal\increment\ParNum\inleft{\ParNum}}

\setupbodyfont[ber,10pt]
\setupwhitespace[big]

\starttext

\section[sec-language]{How this Book Teaches You The Language}

\GuyPar Java is an object oriented programming language.  When you use
an object oriented programming language, your program consists of
class definitions.

\stoptext