* Including a series of pdf-file into one large file
@ 2000-09-21 14:51 Egger
From: Egger @ 2000-09-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

is there a possibility to prepare a series of  (samll) pdf-files with
CONTEXT and put them afterwards into one single (large) pdf-file?

Thanks for tips. Kind regards

Willi

* Re: Including a series of pdf-file into one large file
@ 2000-09-21 17:24 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-09-21 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hi,

> is there a possibility to prepare a series of  (samll) pdf-files with
> CONTEXT and put them afterwards into one single (large) pdf-file?
Well you could use pdftex via texexec to combine any PDF file, but you
loose interactivity (and possibly increase filesize since pdftex,
Ghostscript and Distiller create random font filename in order to
work around a bug in AR (why didn't Adobe fix this bug...)).

texexec --pdfarrange should be your friend (on the
http://www.pragma-ade.com/
should be the documentation about texexec, but I cannot find it yet :-(

Tobias

* Re: Including a series of pdf-file into one large file
@ 2000-09-21 22:23 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-21 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 04:51 PM 9/21/00 +0200, Egger wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>is there a possibility to prepare a series of  (samll) pdf-files with
>CONTEXT and put them afterwards into one single (large) pdf-file?
>
>Thanks for tips. Kind regards

Sure. Take a look at the texexec manual.

You can also use some low level macros (yet undocumented):

%D ...
%D
%D One can (mis)use this mechanism, in close cooperation
%D with \PDFTEX\ to arrange pages of already produced files.
%D
%D \starttypen
%D \insertpages[file.pdf][1,3][n=30,width=18cm]
%D \stoptypen
%D
%D The pages are inserted in the text area, and even pages
%D are repositioned according to the width. In this example
%D empty pages are added after page 1 and 3.
%D
%D Selecting pages can be accomplished by:
%D
%D \starttypen
%D \filterpages[file.pdf][1,3,5][n=30,width=18cm]
%D \stoptypen
%D
%D One may pass \type {odd} or \type {even} instead of a
%D comma separated list. A third alternative is:
%D
%D \starttypen
%D \copypages[file.pdf][n=30,scale=950]
%D \stoptypen
%D
%D This macros inserts the page, according to the settings
%D provided.

%D Yet another way of postprocessing is handles by \type
%D {\combinepages}. This macro builds a matrix of pages from a
%D file, for example:
%D
%D \starttypen
%D \setuppapersize
%D   [A4][A4] % or [A4,landscape][A4,landscape]
%D
%D \setuplayout
%D   [header=0pt,footer=1cm,
%D    backspace=1cm,topspace=1cm,
%D    width=middle,height=middle]
%D
%D \setupfootertexts
%D   [presentation---\currentdate\space---\space\pagenumber]
%D
%D \starttext
%D   \combinepages[slides][nx=2,ny=3,frame=on]
%D \stoptext
%D \starttypen
%D
%D One can influence the way the pages are combined. (This
%D will be explained some time.)

quoted from core-pag.tex, your favourite module btw -)

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Including a series of pdf-file into one large file
@ 2000-09-21 22:34   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-21 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Egger, ntg-context

At 07:24 PM 9/21/00 +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Hi,
>
>> is there a possibility to prepare a series of  (samll) pdf-files with
>> CONTEXT and put them afterwards into one single (large) pdf-file?
>Well you could use pdftex via texexec to combine any PDF file, but you
>loose interactivity (and possibly increase filesize since pdftex,
>Ghostscript and Distiller create random font filename in order to
>work around a bug in AR (why didn't Adobe fix this bug...)).

The size grows indeed, but when fonts are used that are mentioned in the
map files, pdftex will do it's best to include them once and duplicates
only the subset vectors. So, indeed files grow a bit.

>texexec --pdfarrange should be your friend (on the
>http://www.pragma-ade.com/
>should be the documentation about texexec, but I cannot find it yet :-(

context -> texexec

so texexec has it's own page

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE