* Re: metafun manual
@ 2000-09-25 18:25 ` Joop Susan
From: Joop Susan @ 2000-09-25 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Hallo,

> >'texexec test1' complains:
> >
> >Randomizer initialized to 949889678.
> >figures        : figure mpgraph can not be found
> >[1.1{/usr/share/texmf/dvips/config/pdftex.map}]
> >Sorry, I can't find the mem file `metafun.mem'; will try `mpost.mem'.
> >(mpgraph.mp )
> >Transcript written on mpgraph.log.
> >
> >mpgraph.log says:
>
> texexec --make --alone metafun
>
> will make you a metafun format (check if the mem is moved to the right
> web2c path and run mktexlsr)

Ok. I only used 'fmtutil -all' after every ConTEXt/pdftex update. Better
to use 'texexec'?

The file is created in the current directory and I moved it to
/usr/share/texmf/web2c. After 'mktexlsr' the file is now found.

> >This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1) (mem=mpost 2000.4.26)  26
> >APR 2000 18:56
> >**&metafun mpgraph
> >(mpgraph.mp )

No change. 'mpost mpgraph.mp' later also writes to this file.

This is MetaPost, Version 0.641 (Web2C 7.3.1) (mem=mpost 2000.4.26)  26
APR 2000 18:56
**mpgraph.mp
(mpgraph.mp
{randomseed:=222}
 (/usr/share/texmf/metapost/context/mp-tool.mp)
(/usr/share/texmf/metapost/context/mp-spec.mp)
(/usr/share/texmf/metapost/context/mp-page.mp)
(/usr/share/texmf/metapost/context/mp-core.mp) [1] [2] [3] )
3 output files written: mpgraph.1 .. mpgraph.3

> >'mpost mpgraph.mp' does generate mpgraph.1.
> >'gv mpgraph.1' shows the correct figure.
> >A second run 'texexec test1' now generates a complete PDF file.
> >
> >Can you tell me why texexec cannot get this right in one run?
>
> Normally it generates the graphic runtime, in which case one run is needed.
> Otherwise it will run mp between runs, but it does not parse all mp files
> for changes. So, then you may need a second run.

Is there any way of automatically detecting this situation.

Or does this mean that the only sure automated way to get a complete
guaranteed up-to-date PDF file is to run:

rm -f test1.tui test1.tuo test1.tmp test1.top
rm -f mpgraph.[0-9]* mpgraph.mp mpgraph.log tmpgraph.* cont-opt.bak
texexec --pdf test1
mpost mpgraph.mp
texexec --pdf test1

Would it be safe to specify 'texexec --pdf --once test1' for the second
run given that the temp-files are now all up-to-date? It seems to work for
my current testfile. Specifying '--once' for the first run makes the
'mpost' fail.

The first run is also necessary when arranging pages. So I could add
'--noarrange' there as well, right?

This is the brute force solution, possibly at the expence of extra
processing time. Is this a bullet-proof final run?

Thanks,

Joop

* Re: metafun manual
@ 2000-09-25 21:56   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-25 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 08:25 PM 9/25/00 +0200, Joop Susan wrote:

>Ok. I only used 'fmtutil -all' after every ConTEXt/pdftex update. Better
>to use 'texexec'?

fmtutil does not handle mp mem files, probably because there are not so
many metapost formats

>> >Can you tell me why texexec cannot get this right in one run?

Context can if you enable runtime graphics : enable write 18 in texmf.cnf
and add the right switches to your local cont-sys.tex file (explained in
metafun manual).

>Is there any way of automatically detecting this situation.

very hard, but i'm thinking of one.

>Or does this mean that the only sure automated way to get a complete
>guaranteed up-to-date PDF file is to run:
>
>rm -f test1.tui test1.tuo test1.tmp test1.top
>rm -f mpgraph.[0-9]* mpgraph.mp mpgraph.log tmpgraph.* cont-opt.bak
>texexec --pdf test1
>mpost mpgraph.mp
>texexec --pdf test1

no, just enable run time generation, which is what I here, really: no
problems at all

>This is the brute force solution, possibly at the expence of extra
>processing time. Is this a bullet-proof final run?

as said, run time generated graphics are the best; fabrice popineau will
look into fast mpost launching in web2c, so that will speed up the process.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: metafun manual
@ 2010-10-20 13:45 ` Alan BRASLAU
From: Alan BRASLAU @ 2010-10-20 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ntg-context

On Wednesday 20 October 2010 14:03:03 Hans Hagen wrote:

> This week we send out the first copies of the (new) metafun manual:

Wow! Just in time for Christmas :)

Alan

* Re: metafun manual
@ 2004-09-01  2:15           ` Jojo
From: Jojo @ 2004-09-01  2:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

+++ Hans Hagen [31/08/04 10:25 +0200]:
> Jojo wrote:
>
> >Would you plan to release a Chinese version? I am glad to be a volunteer translate for that.
> >

> could be a challenge, remind me later (once the source code of the manual is stable translation should be no problem)

Best wishes! Waiting for good news!

Rgds,

        Jojo
	2004/09/01

* Re: metafun manual
       [not found] <4133DD36@webmail.colostate.edu>
@ 2004-08-31  8:00 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-31  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

ishamid wrote:

>Stupid question;-)
>
>Can Metafun work with e-tex/aleph--dvipdfmx? As you know I am contemplating
>actually learning meta for the Arabic project...

it will work when some bug in dvipdfmx is solved (some interference
between direct code and cm matrices); i mailed about it with Chof cum
suis, and it's on the todo list .

>As far as topics are concerned, anything relavant to using MetaPost for a
>MetaType1 project would be most useful; maybe you should ask jacko this
>question?

that's quite a different topic; trikcy too since the metatype docu is
not finished

>PS. Hans, can u make sure this address escapes your spam filter?

i have no spam filter on my machine (only at the provider and some probably outdated one on the linux mail server)

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: metafun manual
@ 2004-08-31  2:25       ` Jojo
From: Jojo @ 2004-08-31  2:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

+++ Brooks Moses [30/08/04 12:37 -0700]:

That's Great !!

> If you'd like volunteers to proofread the finished version, I'd be glad
> to help with that.

Would you plan to release a Chinese version? I am glad to be a volunteer translate for that.

> My main request is the addition of an index, but I presume that was
> already on the to-do list.
>
> > the topic as how to define and use user defined functions / macros / procedure
> > could have some more explanation / samples.
>
> This might indeed be helpful, if the metafun manual is intended as a
> complete guide to both metapost and metafun (replacing the old metapost
> manual).  My recollection is that the manual has very little (if any) on
> how to use suffix variables, and it would be nice to have a good
> overview of that somewhere other than the metafont (!) manual.
>
> > also a suggested way as how to handle and use the definition of
> > multiple (different) graphics within a single file could be helpful.
> > e.g. where to put the graphics definitions. how to re-use pieces of
> > graphics for other images (like axis frames).
>
> Agreed, although that's actually fairly simple (which is probably an
> argument _for_ including it, rather than against).
>
> - Brooks

Best Rgds,

	Jojo

* Re: metafun manual
@ 2004-08-30 19:37     ` Brooks Moses
From: Brooks Moses @ 2004-08-30 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2004-08-30 18:54 ` Willi Egger
From: Willi Egger @ 2004-08-30 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Hans,

that is great news! - Personally I do  not have requests.

Willi

Hans Hagen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm going to 'finish' the metafun manual, so if you have topics that
> need to be covered ...
>
> Hans

* metafun manual
@ 2004-08-30 16:42 Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2004-08-30 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm going to 'finish' the metafun manual, so if you have topics that
need to be covered ...

Hans

                                          Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE
                                             | www.pragma-pod.nl

* Re: metafun manual
@ 2000-09-27 12:01 Joop Susan
From: Joop Susan @ 2000-09-27 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

> At 08:25 PM 9/25/00 +0200, Joop Susan wrote:
>
> >Ok. I only used 'fmtutil -all' after every ConTEXt/pdftex update. Better
> >to use 'texexec'?
>
> fmtutil does not handle mp mem files, probably because there are not so
> many metapost formats

> Context can if you enable runtime graphics : enable write 18 in texmf.cnf
> and add the right switches to your local cont-sys.tex file (explained in
> metafun manual).

This was enabled. In file texmf.cnf it said:

% Enable system commands via \write18{...}?
%shell_escape = f
shell_escape = t

The testfile "test.tex":

\starttext
\immediate\write18{echo It works}
\stoptext

prints "It works" when processing the file with 'texexec --once test',
like it says in the Metafun manual.

The other settings '\runMPgraphicstrue' and '\recycleMPslotstrue' are set
in the virgin 'cont-sys.rme' from the distribution. It was not clear to me
that I had to create 'cont-sys.tex' myself, since there was a very
similarly named file already. I copied 'cont-sys.rme' to 'cont-sys.tex')
and now it works in one run.

Thanks,

Joop

* Re: metafun manual
@ 2000-09-25 15:22   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-09-25 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

At 01:47 PM 9/25/00 +0200, Joop Susan wrote:

>Hallo Hans,
>
>In the newest metafun-s.pdf om page 231:
>
>----------
>\startMPcode
>draw btex Meta is a female lion! etex
>xysized (\the\textwidth,\the\textheight) ;
>\stopbuffer
>
>I assume that should probably be \stopMPcode.

I'll change it!

@ 2000-09-25 11:47 ` Joop Susan
From: Joop Susan @ 2000-09-25 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

[...]

My system:
   Linux, tetex-1.0.7 with updated pdftex and context.
   pdfeTeX, Version 3.14159-14f-released-20000525-2.1 (Web2C 7.3.2x)
   ConTeXt  ver: 2000.9.21  fmt: 2000.9.25  int: english  mes: english

Joop