* Problems with quote and quotation
@ 2000-10-05  0:10 Uwe Koloska
From: Uwe Koloska @ 2000-10-05  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

in the beta manuals index and on this list there was mentioned a command
\setupquotation that does not exist.

The following minimal text shows some unexpected results:

--- snip ---
\setupquote[style=italic,before=\hairline,after=\hairline]

\starttext
Why does this not give a quotation in italics? \quotation{Hey, I am a
placeholder.} \quote{And I am, too.} Why can't I setup quotations?
\startquotation
Another citation now on its own line
\stopquotation
Here a line of normal text that says nothing but makes hopefully a
linefull of meaningless characters.
\stoptext
--- snip ---

- the \quotation{} isn't affected at all. How can I setup this?
- the \quote is affected, but how can I get quotationmarks around the qoute
  _and_ set it in italics?  In general: How can I combine some styles
  (color, font and quotationmarks)
- where is the indentation that is shown in the manual?
- what do I have to do to make the spacing below the quotation and the
  \hairline as the above one?

I have version 2000.9.21.

Uwe

BTW: Why is the default for \em set to slanted?

--
mailto:koloska@rcs.urz.tu-dresden.de
http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~koloska/

* Re: Problems with quote and quotation
@ 2000-10-05  8:11 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-05  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ntg-context

Uwe asked:

BTW: Why is the default for \em set to slanted?

Because i don't like (compouter modern) italic in running text. That's
really the only reason.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Problems with quote and quotation
@ 2000-10-05  8:56 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-05  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 02:10 AM 10/5/00 +0200, Uwe Koloska wrote:

>The following minimal text shows some unexpected results:

This code assumes that an inline quotation is indeed in a normal font. I
can add a new setup command that permits more control over quotations.

>- what do I have to do to make the spacing below the quotation and the
>  \hairline as the above one?

not much now, i'll repair this, since it looks like some spacing
optimization got lost

before=\starttextrule{},after=\stoptextrule

is btw the way to handle this

quotes are aet up as language options (see lang-ger.tex) and obey the
\mainlanguage settings.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Problems with quote and quotation
@ 2000-10-13 19:16   ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-10-13 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:

> This code assumes that an inline quotation is indeed in a normal font. I
> can add a new setup command that permits more control over quotations.

Would be nice.
Perhaps would that solve my (already asked but not answered) problem:

I need a footnote to a longer (start/stop) quotation.
The footnote sign must stand after the closing quote.
Is there a way to do that?

\startquotation
heute ist morgen gestern
\stopquotation\footnote{einer von Hrabans Lieblingsspr"uchen}

should become

„heute ist morgen gestern“*

and not

„heute ist morgen gestern“
*

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: Problems with quote and quotation
@ 2000-10-14 20:16     ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-10-14 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I need a footnote to a longer (start/stop) quotation.
> The footnote sign must stand after the closing quote.
> Is there a way to do that?

Sorry, I found a way myself. Not very elegant, but works...

But the mentioned command \setupquotations[] seems really
not to exist. Or am I wrong?

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* Re: Problems with quote and quotation
@ 2000-10-15 19:35       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-15 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 10:16 PM 10/14/00 +0200, Hraban wrote:
>> I need a footnote to a longer (start/stop) quotation.
>> The footnote sign must stand after the closing quote.
>> Is there a way to do that?
>
>Sorry, I found a way myself. Not very elegant, but works...
>
>But the mentioned command \setupquotations[] seems really
>not to exist. Or am I wrong?

You're right and it will be there some day soon. The footnote is an
interesting complication.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Problems with quote and quotation
@ 2000-10-16 19:36         ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-10-16 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

(Sorry Hans, forget the other version of this mail.)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> You're right and it will be there some day soon. The footnote is an
> interesting complication.

My solution was:

(quote symbols defined after your mail for Guiseppe; used also \setupnarrower)

\def\StartZitat{\par\startnarrower\symbol[leftquote]}

\def\StopZitat#1{\symbol[rightquote]\footnote{#1}\stopnarrower\par}

(Hope I remembered it right -- can't look after my Linux TeX-files
while mailing under MacOS.)

Has some restrictions, but fits my actual needs.

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---