* "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-06  5:34 ` Dan Seracu
From: Dan Seracu @ 2000-10-06  5:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

  Hello!

I'm facing a probleme here. I downloaded the pdftex0.14e (for miktex ---
this is the last one they have :-( --- and when trying to make the formats:
texexec --make --language=ro,en

it complains: you have to increase the POOLSIZE.

Now the question: How can I increase the POOLSIZE?

Dan Seracu

[-- Attachment #2: Dan Adrian Seracu.vcf --]
[-- Type: text/x-vcard; name="Dan Adrian Seracu.vcf", Size: 664 bytes --]

BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:2.1
N:Seracu;Dan;Adrian
FN:Dan Adrian Seracu
ORG:Sintezis Birotica;Retail
TITLE:Coordonator retele POS
TEL;WORK;VOICE:+ 40 59 44 32 88
TEL;CELL;VOICE:+40 94 58 33 24
TEL;WORK;FAX:+ 40 59 44 32 88
ADR;WORK:;;str. Roman Ciorogariu, nr. 24;Oradea;Bihor;3700;România
LABEL;WORK;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:str. Roman Ciorogariu, nr. 24=0D=0AOradea, Bihor 3700=0D=0ARom=E2nia
ADR;HOME:;;;Oradea;Bihor;3700;România
LABEL;HOME;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Oradea, Bihor 3700=0D=0ARom=E2nia
URL:http://www.sintezis.rdsor.ro
EMAIL;PREF;INTERNET:dans@sintezis.rdsor.ro
EMAIL;INTERNET:danseracu@yahoo.com
REV:20000707T074207Z
END:VCARD

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-06 14:08   ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-10-06 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

Dan Seracu <dans@sintezis.rdsor.ro> writes:

>   Hello!
>
> I'm facing a probleme here. I downloaded the pdftex0.14e (for miktex ---
> this is the last one they have :-( --- and when trying to make the formats:
> texexec --make --language=ro,en
>
> it complains: you have to increase the POOLSIZE.
>
> Now the question: How can I increase the POOLSIZE?

By configuring texmf.cnf (find it with the command, "kpsewhich
texmf.cnf") as explained in the pdftex user guide.  You can find the
guide at the URL below, but don't try the letter-sized version, since
it's PDF is still broken.  I don't know why no one fixes it -- maybe
they think that letter size is bad, since the metric sizes make so
much more sense?  ;)

    http://www.tug.org/applications/pdftex/

Hans -- I've had to tweak the poolsize in texmf.cnf for the last few
        times I've installed context.  Perhaps poolsize deserves
        mentioning in the context installation document (URL below)?

http://www.pragma-ade.com/pragma-ade/general/manuals/minstall.pdf

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-06 20:30     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-06 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

There's no texmf.cnf in MikTeX. I think that the file to modify is
miktex.ini, in the \texmf\miktex\config directory; find [MiKTeX] in that
file, and tune the appropriate  parameters. Btw, I had no problems in
dumping the ConTeXt formats with my MiKTeX 1.20e.

-- Hans: it would be nice if, at least when using MiKTeX, texexec supported
the --src  command line option to insert source specials in the DVI.

Giuseppe Bilotta

@ 2000-10-07 12:14       ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-10-07 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Giuseppe,

> -- Hans: it would be nice if, at least when using MiKTeX, texexec supported
> the --src  command line option to insert source specials in the DVI.
>From the manpage (I know there is officially none, but after some
discussion
at teTeX I created one, it is (Yodl, html, man) at
http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~tburnus/context-manpages.tar.gz):

       --passon=string
              One can pass additional switches to the TeX program
              used by using --passon, like for MikTeX:

              texexec --passon="--src" somefile

              This  tells MikTeX that one wants to enrich the dvi
              file so that editors can relate their cursor  posi-
              tion  to  a  location in the dvi file. Don't forget
              the ", because otherwise the --src will be seen  as
              a switch to TeXExec.

Tobias

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-07 15:03         ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-07 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thank you, the --passon command was exactly what I was looking for.

Giuseppe Bilotta

> > -- Hans: it would be nice if, at least when using MiKTeX, texexec
supported
> > the --src  command line option to insert source specials in the DVI.
> From the manpage (I know there is officially none, but after some
> discussion
> at teTeX I created one, it is (Yodl, html, man) at
> http://www.physik.fu-berlin.de/~tburnus/context-manpages.tar.gz):
>
>        --passon=string
>               One can pass additional switches to the TeX program
>               used by using --passon, like for MikTeX:
>
>               texexec --passon="--src" somefile
>
>               This  tells MikTeX that one wants to enrich the dvi
>               file so that editors can relate their cursor  posi-
>               tion  to  a  location in the dvi file. Don't forget
>               the ", because otherwise the --src will be seen  as
>               a switch to TeXExec.
>
> Tobias

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-07 17:42           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-07 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 05:03 PM 10/7/00 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Thank you, the --passon command was exactly what I was looking for.

Btw, You can add a "TeXPassString" entry to the texexec.ini miktex section,
if you want.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-07 18:06   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-07 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

At 07:34 AM 10/6/00 +0200, Dan Seracu wrote:
>       Hello!   I'm  facing a probleme here. I downloaded the pdftex0.14e
>(for miktex --- this is the  last one they have :-( --- and when trying to
>make the  formats: texexec  --make --language=ro,en   it  complains: you
>have to increase the POOLSIZE.   Now the  question: How can I increase the
>POOLSIZE?   Dan  Seracu  Attachment Converted:
>"c:\local\mail\eudora\attach\Dan Adrian Seracu.vcf"

I'm sure that david knows it. It can be done on the command line, so you
can add an pass on entry to texexec.ini if needed, but maybe setting env
vars is easier.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-07 18:26     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-07 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG ConTeXt

At 10:08 AM 10/6/00 -0400, Ed L Cashin wrote:

>Hans -- I've had to tweak the poolsize in texmf.cnf for the last few
>        times I've installed context.  Perhaps poolsize deserves
>        mentioning in the context installation document (URL below)?

The next tetex/fptex will come with bigger poolsizes for contexts and
pdftex's [it seems that there are some intermediate versions with lower
values for context]

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-08 13:51             ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-08 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

> Btw, You can add a "TeXPassString" entry to the texexec.ini miktex
section,
> if you want.

What about the fact that "--src" should only be passed when producing DVIs,
and not when using PDFs? Is there a way to configure this too? (--src in PDF
mode produces a lot of unharmfull but annoying "Non-PDF special ignored"
...)

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-08 22:25               ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-08 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 03:51 PM 10/8/00 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>> Btw, You can add a "TeXPassString" entry to the texexec.ini miktex
>section,
>> if you want.
>>

>What about the fact that "--src" should only be passed when producing DVIs,
>and not when using PDFs? Is there a way to configure this too? (--src in PDF
>mode produces a lot of unharmfull but annoying "Non-PDF special ignored"
>...)

selective key would make texexec quite complicated

when i run

  texexec --pdf --passon="--src-specials" test

here, i don't get those messages, so it more looks like a miktex bug to me.
Especially since those specials are not inserted by the \special primitive,
but by (in this case probably miktex specific) program calls to tex's
internal procs.

I wonder what happens if you say:

  \def\special#1{\message{primitive special calles with: #1}}

This is a very effective way to show specials.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: "Simple" TeX problem
@ 2000-10-09  9:15                 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-09  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

I will signal this "bug" to the MiKTeX developer.

Giuseppe Bilotta