From: Hans Hagen <pragma@wxs.nl>
Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta <oblomov@freemail.it>, ConTeXt <ntg-context@ntg.nl>
Subject: Re: Italic languages
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2000 20:15:44 +0200	[thread overview]

At 06:38 PM 10/7/00 +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Ciao Giuseppe,
>
>> Hello, I'm using the 2000 stable ConTeXt, english interface, and I have a
>> small problem: \sp doesn't work to switch to spanish: it gives a "missing $
>> inserted" error, and the output is a superscript rather than normal text.
>Probably it means superscript!? (I cannot find the definition).
>> So I need \SP to switch to spanish (at least, \SP does not give any error
>> message); is this "feature" signaled somewhere?
>I'm not sure whether \SP does it.

\show\SP

>> (Btw, \sp for spanish doesn't work, \it is obviously kept for "italic"
>> rather than italian ... what's wrong with us italic-languages-speakers? :->
>And with German speakers and \ss vs. \SS
>> Anyway, maybe some coherence in the language selection scheme ---everybody
>> using UpperCase, that is--- could be nice)
>
>Well using \language[it] works always. There are simply too many nice
>two letter commands \it, \em, \bf and simply to many languages to make
>it work consistently :-(

from lang-ini:

\def\dodoinstalllanguage#1#2% #2 added
  {\doifundefined{#1}{\setvalue{#1}{\language[#2]}}%
   \expanded{\noexpand\uppercase{\noexpand\edef\noexpand\ascii{#1}}}%
   \doifundefined{\ascii}{\setvalue{\ascii}{\language[#2]}}}

So, the lowercase one is defined if yet undefined, the uppercase is
defined, unless you redefine it for instance being an abbreviation, and as
tobias explained, the \language and \mainlanguage commands accept the
lowercase, of full name.

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE