* LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-07 14:39 ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-07 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, since ConTeXt seems to have every feature of every LaTeX package I
know, is there a feature dealing with epigraphs? I want to know, before
trying to convert the epigraph package to appropriate ConTeXt code.

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-07 15:55   ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-10-07 15:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> Hello, since ConTeXt seems to have every feature of every LaTeX package I
> know, is there a feature dealing with epigraphs? I want to know, before
> trying to convert the epigraph package to appropriate ConTeXt code.

What does it do?

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-07 16:47     ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-10-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend de Boer wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>
> > Hello, since ConTeXt seems to have every feature of every LaTeX package I
> > know, is there a feature dealing with epigraphs? I want to know, before
> > trying to convert the epigraph package to appropriate ConTeXt code.
>
> What does it do?
According to the TeX Catalogue:
epigraph A package for typesetting epigraphs.
   Epigraphs are the pithy quotations often found at the start (or end)
   of a chapter. Both single epigraphs and lists of epigraphs are
catered
   for. Various aspects are easily configurable.
   Visit CTAN:macros/latex/contrib/supported/epigraph Download from
   somewhere nearby (Search) Download from Dante Included in TeXLive
   distribution in latex3
   License: lppl     Version: 1.3     Catalogued: 1999/11/01
----
ftp://ftp.dante.de/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/supported/epigraph.tar.gz
----
>From the manual:

2.2 The epigraphs environment
The epigraphs environment typesets a list of epigraphs, and by default
places epigraphs
them at the right hand side of the textblock.
Each epigraph in the list is specified by a \qitem{ <text> }{ <source> }
command \qitem
(analagous to the \item command in ordinary list environments). By
default, the
<source> is typeset at the bottom right of the <text> .

2.4 Epigraphs before chapter headings
The \epigraph command and the epigraphs environment typeset an epigraph
at the point in the text where they are placed. The first thing that a
\chapter
command does is to start off a new page, so another mechanism is
provided for
placing an epigraph just before a chapter heading.

* Re: LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-07 19:30       ` Berend de Boer
From: Berend de Boer @ 2000-10-07 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

Tobias Burnus wrote:

> epigraph A package for typesetting epigraphs.
>    Epigraphs are the pithy quotations often found at the start (or end)
>    of a chapter. Both single epigraphs and lists of epigraphs are
> catered
>    for.

Not supported therefore. A context version would be nice (perhaps by
making this package not dependent on latex but only on tex??)

Groetjes,

Berend. (-:

* Re: LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-07 20:23         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-07 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus, NTG-ConTeXt

At 09:30 PM 10/7/00 +0200, Berend de Boer wrote:
>Tobias Burnus wrote:
>
>> epigraph A package for typesetting epigraphs.
>>    Epigraphs are the pithy quotations often found at the start (or end)
>>    of a chapter. Both single epigraphs and lists of epigraphs are
>> catered
>>    for.
>
>Not supported therefore. A context version would be nice (perhaps by
>making this package not dependent on latex but only on tex??)

This looks rather trivial to implement. So, what is needed is a mechanism
to typeset those 'quotes from famous books probably not read by the author
but derived from one of those 10K famous quotes books' -)

\startepigraph [tag] [author={Hans Hagen},note=2000}

The fact that some installation programs ask you if you want to install the
help info as {\em compiled html} or {\em pure html} makes me wonder if a
next version of those programs will be distributed as pure c++ code.

\stopepigraph

\placeepigraph[tag]

\setupepigraph[...]

Now, what are the degrees of freedom needed?

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-08 19:43         ` Ed L Cashin
From: Ed L Cashin @ 2000-10-08 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com> writes:

> Tobias Burnus wrote:
>
> > epigraph A package for typesetting epigraphs.
> >    Epigraphs are the pithy quotations often found at the start (or end)
> >    of a chapter. Both single epigraphs and lists of epigraphs are
> > catered
> >    for.
>
> Not supported therefore. A context version would be nice (perhaps by
> making this package not dependent on latex but only on tex??)

It sounds like something you wouldn't need in ConTeXt, because a few
lines of "setupparagraphs" or something would do the trick.  (I mean,
latex is plagued by a proliferation of too-specific features, while
context has features that are very strong and more general.)  Just a
thought.

--
--Ed Cashin                     PGP public key:
  ecashin@coe.uga.edu           http://www.coe.uga.edu/~ecashin/pgp/

* Re: LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-08 22:16           ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-08 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: NTG-ConTeXt

At 03:43 PM 10/8/00 -0400, Ed L Cashin wrote:
>Berend de Boer <berend@pobox.com> writes:
>
>> Tobias Burnus wrote:
>>
>> > epigraph A package for typesetting epigraphs.
>> >    Epigraphs are the pithy quotations often found at the start (or end)
>> >    of a chapter. Both single epigraphs and lists of epigraphs are
>> > catered
>> >    for.
>>
>> Not supported therefore. A context version would be nice (perhaps by
>> making this package not dependent on latex but only on tex??)
>
>It sounds like something you wouldn't need in ConTeXt, because a few
>lines of "setupparagraphs" or something would do the trick.  (I mean,
>latex is plagued by a proliferation of too-specific features, while
>context has features that are very strong and more general.)  Just a
>thought.

I wonder if it should be added as an extension to descriptions, which would
make it just an option there.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: LaTeX to ConTeXt: epigraphs
@ 2000-10-13 20:08             ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-10-13 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hans Hagen wrote:
> I wonder if it should be added as an extension to descriptions, which would
> make it just an option there.

Perhaps i misunderstand, what Giuseppe meant with epigraphs, but perhaps
it's something like that what you made for me:

---

\useexternalfigure[hintergrund][partpic][width=15cm]

\def\EPart#1#2%
  {\tfd\it #1: #2}

\def\StartPart#1%
  {\page
   \defineoverlay[titelbild][{\externalfigure[hintergrund]}]
   \setupbackgrounds[rightpage][background=titelbild]
   \startstandardmakeup
   \part{#1}
   \vfill\tfb}

\def\StopPart%
  {\vfill\vfill\stopstandardmakeup
   \setupbackgrounds[rightpage][background=]}

\setupheads	[align=right,tolerance=verytolerant]%,
%		before={\startlinecorrection\vbox\bgroup}, after={\egroup\stoplinecorrection}]
\setuphead	[part]
		[command=\EPart,
		style=\tfd\it,
		placehead=yes,frame=off,
		number=yes]
----

Guiseppe: This lets you not only write a sentence to the part page,
but uses a background picture (here called "partpic"), too.

\StartPart{How to become a ConTeXt freak}
Not every knight lives in the Ridderstraat.
\StopPart

Hans, could you tell me how to enlarge the linespacing within
this motto, if I use grid=yes ?

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---

* linespacing
@ 2000-10-14 20:17               ` Hraban
From: Hraban @ 2000-10-14 20:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hraban wrote:
> Hans, could you tell me how to enlarge the linespacing within
> this motto, if I use grid=yes ?

Sorry, I found it myself, tried a wrong command first.

--
Grüßlis vom Hraban!
---