* Blanks and indentation of following paragraphs
@ 2000-10-07 14:34 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-07 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Why does the

\blank

command reset indenting for the next paragraph? Ok, I know that the
indentation is supposed to show the beginning of new paragraphs, and thus is
not necessary in certain cases (like: after chapter titles, and after
blanks), but it surely looks odd on paper, such non-indented paragraph (to
me, at least); and moreover, if the blanks happens at a page break, how can
somebody tell a new paragraph is starting, when reading from the top of the

To disable the indentation reset, I set

\setupindenting[first]

and it looks like it "fixed" the problem; I feared that it might break the
non-indentation of the first paragraphs after chapter titles etc, but those
paragraphs are still (correctly) non-indented. Why? I thought that the
"first" setting would have forced indentation also in those paragraphs.

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Blanks and indentation of following paragraphs
@ 2000-10-07 18:19 ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 04:34 PM 10/7/00 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:
>Why does the
>
>\blank
>
>command reset indenting for the next paragraph? Ok, I know that the
>indentation is supposed to show the beginning of new paragraphs, and thus is
>not necessary in certain cases (like: after chapter titles, and after
>blanks), but it surely looks odd on paper, such non-indented paragraph (to
>me, at least); and moreover, if the blanks happens at a page break, how can
>somebody tell a new paragraph is starting, when reading from the top of the
>
>To disable the indentation reset, I set
>
>\setupindenting[first]
>
>and it looks like it "fixed" the problem; I feared that it might break the
>non-indentation of the first paragraphs after chapter titles etc, but those
>paragraphs are still (correctly) non-indented. Why? I thought that the
>"first" setting would have forced indentation also in those paragraphs.

\impostatesta[capitolo][rientrosuccessivo=no]

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Blanks and indentation of following paragraphs
@ 2000-10-07 21:02   ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-07 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >To disable the indentation reset, I set
> >
> >\setupindenting[first]
> >
> >and it looks like it "fixed" the problem; I feared that it might break
the
> >non-indentation of the first paragraphs after chapter titles etc, but
those
> >paragraphs are still (correctly) non-indented. Why? I thought that the
> >"first" setting would have forced indentation also in those paragraphs.
>
> \impostatesta[capitolo][rientrosuccessivo=no]

(-: You'll never guess, I'm using the -en interface, not the italian one :-)

\setuphead[chapter][indentnext=no] is setup by default, I guess, since it
works this way. Actually, the whole post was a note about the fact that
"indentnext" overrules \setupindenting.

@ 2000-10-08 22:36     ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-08 22:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 11:02 PM 10/7/00 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>\setuphead[chapter][indentnext=no] is setup by default, I guess, since it
>works this way. Actually, the whole post was a note about the fact that
>"indentnext" overrules \setupindenting.

Indeed. I may consider a global turn this feature off thing,

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE