* Italic languages
@ 2000-10-07 14:36 Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-07 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello, I'm using the 2000 stable ConTeXt, english interface, and I have a
small problem: \sp doesn't work to switch to spanish: it gives a "missing $
inserted" error, and the output is a superscript rather than normal text.
So I need \SP to switch to spanish (at least, \SP does not give any error
message); is this "feature" signaled somewhere?

(Btw, \sp for spanish doesn't work, \it is obviously kept for "italic"
rather than italian ... what's wrong with us italic-languages-speakers? :->
Anyway, maybe some coherence in the language selection scheme ---everybody
using UpperCase, that is--- could be nice)

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Italic languages
@ 2000-10-07 16:38 ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-10-07 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Ciao Giuseppe,

> Hello, I'm using the 2000 stable ConTeXt, english interface, and I have a
> small problem: \sp doesn't work to switch to spanish: it gives a "missing $
> inserted" error, and the output is a superscript rather than normal text.
Probably it means superscript!? (I cannot find the definition).
> So I need \SP to switch to spanish (at least, \SP does not give any error
> message); is this "feature" signaled somewhere?
I'm not sure whether \SP does it.

> (Btw, \sp for spanish doesn't work, \it is obviously kept for "italic"
> rather than italian ... what's wrong with us italic-languages-speakers? :->
And with German speakers and \ss vs. \SS
> Anyway, maybe some coherence in the language selection scheme ---everybody
> using UpperCase, that is--- could be nice)

Well using \language[it] works always. There are simply too many nice
two letter commands \it, \em, \bf and simply to many languages to make
it work consistently :-(

Tobias

* Re: Italic languages
@ 2000-10-07 18:15   ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-07 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Giuseppe Bilotta, ConTeXt

At 06:38 PM 10/7/00 +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:
>Ciao Giuseppe,
>
>> Hello, I'm using the 2000 stable ConTeXt, english interface, and I have a
>> small problem: \sp doesn't work to switch to spanish: it gives a "missing $
>> inserted" error, and the output is a superscript rather than normal text.
>Probably it means superscript!? (I cannot find the definition).
>> So I need \SP to switch to spanish (at least, \SP does not give any error
>> message); is this "feature" signaled somewhere?
>I'm not sure whether \SP does it.

\show\SP

>> (Btw, \sp for spanish doesn't work, \it is obviously kept for "italic"
>> rather than italian ... what's wrong with us italic-languages-speakers? :->
>And with German speakers and \ss vs. \SS
>> Anyway, maybe some coherence in the language selection scheme ---everybody
>> using UpperCase, that is--- could be nice)
>
>Well using \language[it] works always. There are simply too many nice
>two letter commands \it, \em, \bf and simply to many languages to make
>it work consistently :-(

from lang-ini:

\def\dodoinstalllanguage#1#2% #2 added
  {\doifundefined{#1}{\setvalue{#1}{\language[#2]}}%
   \expanded{\noexpand\uppercase{\noexpand\edef\noexpand\ascii{#1}}}%
   \doifundefined{\ascii}{\setvalue{\ascii}{\language[#2]}}}

So, the lowercase one is defined if yet undefined, the uppercase is
defined, unless you redefine it for instance being an abbreviation, and as
tobias explained, the \language and \mainlanguage commands accept the
lowercase, of full name.

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Italic languages
@ 2000-10-08 13:56     ` Giuseppe Bilotta
From: Giuseppe Bilotta @ 2000-10-08 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

> >> Hello, I'm using the 2000 stable ConTeXt, english interface, and I have
> >> small problem: \sp doesn't work to switch to spanish: it gives a
"missing $
> >> inserted" error, and the output is a superscript rather than normal
text.
> >Probably it means superscript!? (I cannot find the definition).
> >> So I need \SP to switch to spanish (at least, \SP does not give any
error
> >> message); is this "feature" signaled somewhere?
> >I'm not sure whether \SP does it.
>
> \show\SP

Ok, \SP expand to \language [\s!sp ] so I guess that's it; now, I wonder:
shouldn't the spanish tag have been "es" rather than "sp"?

> >> (Btw, \sp for spanish doesn't work, \it is obviously kept for "italic"
> >> rather than italian ... what's wrong with us italic-languages-speakers?
:->
> >And with German speakers and \ss vs. \SS
> >> Anyway, maybe some coherence in the language selection
scheme ---everybody
> >> using UpperCase, that is--- could be nice)
> >
> >Well using \language[it] works always. There are simply too many nice
> >two letter commands \it, \em, \bf and simply to many languages to make
> >it work consistently :-(
>
> from lang-ini:
>
> \def\dodoinstalllanguage#1#2% #2 added
>   {\doifundefined{#1}{\setvalue{#1}{\language[#2]}}%
>    \expanded{\noexpand\uppercase{\noexpand\edef\noexpand\ascii{#1}}}%
>    \doifundefined{\ascii}{\setvalue{\ascii}{\language[#2]}}}
>
> So, the lowercase one is defined if yet undefined, the uppercase is
> defined, unless you redefine it for instance being an abbreviation, and as
> tobias explained, the \language and \mainlanguage commands accept the
> lowercase, of full name.

Giuseppe Bilotta

* Re: Italic languages
@ 2000-10-08 22:27       ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-08 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Tobias Burnus, ConTeXt

At 03:56 PM 10/8/00 +0200, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

>Ok, \SP expand to \language [\s!sp ] so I guess that's it; now, I wonder:
>shouldn't the spanish tag have been "es" rather than "sp"?

I don't know since i used [for those languages used at school here] the
dutch abbrev's. I have no problem with changing it to es [since we can make
sp a synonym then]. So, what is the official one ?

Hans

                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE

* Re: Italic languages
@ 2000-10-09  8:56       ` Tobias Burnus
From: Tobias Burnus @ 2000-10-09  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

Hi,

> Ok, \SP expand to \language [\s!sp ] so I guess that's it; now, I wonder:
> shouldn't the spanish tag have been "es" rather than "sp"?
http://lcweb.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/englangn.html
shows:
----
Language Name (English) Language Name (French)  639-2/B  639-2/T  639-1
Spanish                 espagnol                spa      spa      es

ISO 639-2/B is the bibliographic code and ISO 639-2/T is the terminology
code. ISO 639-1 is the Alpha-2 code.
----
So: Yes, "es" would be the right one. (sp could be an alias as du is for
de).

Tobias

* Re: Italic languages
@ 2000-10-09 10:54         ` Hans Hagen
From: Hans Hagen @ 2000-10-09 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: ConTeXt

At 10:56 AM 10/9/00 +0200, Tobias Burnus wrote:

>So: Yes, "es" would be the right one. (sp could be an alias as du is for
>de).

Ok, done.

Hans
                                                  Hans Hagen | PRAGMA ADE